So how'd you become interested in Little Guy trailers?

Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 8,776Member ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in Products & Accessories
My brother saw one up in Charlevoix, Michigan and called me up just before I retired nearly 5 years ago as he knows how much I love the western US and exploring new places.  I started investigating these units and bought my first 4-wide sight unseen off of EBay.  I drove all night with my oldest daughter to Buchanan, VA and picked it up new from a dealer and was initially shocked at just how small it looked.  From that point on it become somewhat of a love affair of sorts with these trailers, I took the four wide on many trips and racked up over 20K miles around the US, up the coast of California and Oregon and parts beyond before returning home to Michigan and buying a 5-wide I found on EBay and traveling down to Little Guy World Wide to finish the deal.  Through these trailers I became friends with the crew down in Massillon and the factory and know that these units and their versatility is a natural draw that sells them on their own and they also pique people's interest wherever you go.  

I've had a lot of fun and have always loved the Cadillac of the Little Guy's, the Silver Shadow units.  I have always loved the bright birch interiors and always wanted one and was always envious of others who owned them.  I finally decided it was time to pull the trigger and ordered my new 2014 Silver Shadow last September and received it in late November 2013.  With the help of people on the forum I weighed the pro's and cons and got the trailer of my dreams, a one of a kind unit built to my specifications as Joe Kicos said he'd give a one shot opportunity (that he rarely does) to have it built my way.  I love this trailer and look forward to more adventures, rally's and meeting many of the people that have become friends here on the forum.....  

image  image  image

Taken down along the Reo Grande River just east of Presidio, Texas in Big Bend Ranch State Park.  

Comments

• atippettsatippetts Posts: 144Member ✭✭✭
    My first exposure to a teardrop was on a trip to Spokane, Washington about 5 years ago.  While the water pump on my Suburban was being replaced, my wife and I were wandering around a local mall.  We walked around a corner and there was a small courtyard with a vintage, immaculately restored teardrop trailer, decked out with all of the vintage accessories;, cooler, folding table, plaid tablecloth, vintage dishware, etc.

I did not even know these trailers existed before than encounter.  When we returned from that trip I started a google search.   I was initially intrigued with building my own trailer, but my garage space is so limited that I wisely discarded that idea.  The google gods eventually led me to the LIttle Guy website, and this forum.  After reading through the various sections, it quickly became clear that Little Guy was the premier manufacturer.  But, there was no dealer in my area at the time.  As with lots of dreams, this one ended up on the back burner.

Other than the emotional attachment that these little trailers had on me, there was also a practical consideration.  Even though I am still working full time, I am a part-time professional landscape photographer, and I was tired of sleeping in the Suburban or a tent when out on a photography excursion.  The teardrops just fit the bill, perfectly.

Then one day about two years ago, I was driving down State Street in Salt Lake City and saw a teardrop sitting in a car dealer's sales lot.  I assumed it was a trade-in, and since it had the sport platform, I wasn't too interested. That dream again hit the back burner.

Not too long after that, I left my work to drive home.  There is an RV dealer about 2 blocks from my work and what did I see?  Several Little Guys sitting in a row beckoning me as I drove past.  Access RV was now a dealer for the LG Trailers!   My wife and I went in the next weekend to look around and fell in love with a Silver Shadow, but a rational look at our finances made us wait  a year.   The next March, we went in to Access and ordered a SS built to our specs, which was pretty minimal.  I didn't want any appliances in the trailer that would be prone to repairs, and I did not want to cook in the galley.  So no fridge, no A/C, and no stove.  We opted for the sink, blinds, and spare tire mounted under the rear of the trailer, and a cover.

The SS sits snugly at the rear of our single car driveway, turned sideways,  The SS is just a few steps away from our backyard Tiki Bar, and the galley serves as the wet bar when we have parties, which is most weekends in the summer. 

I've made some minor mods to the trailer; mud-flap license plate holder, pvc sink drain extension, some puck lights inside, and a diamond-plate tongue box.  Now I am in the mode of just using and enjoying the convenience of this charming SS.  We've put about 3K miles on it in a year, and it has performed flawlessly.  I'm looking forward to retirement in the next year or so, and many more adventures with that Little Guy SS following us around the western US.

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 8,776Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great use of the galley as it does make a great spot for drinks, snacks, etc.   I know that there are folks here on the forum who use their trailers for tailgating which makes good sense.   I can see mine doing the same in conjunction with my ARB and the way the galley is set up.....  Funny how these beautiful little trailers captivate us and draw us closer to the great outdoors and a new adventure!

Thanks for sharing!
  • RonNCARonNCA Posts: 170Member
    I saw on the TV something about the decked out, restored teardrops and small vintage trailers done by various Sisters on the Fly. Needless to say I was hooked. I was already doing contract work (semi retired) and Barb was thinking about retirement (Barb was a hospice nurse so very little time for a real vacation) when we started talking about camping. We tent camped but that was too much for our old bones and we didn't want a big rig. The teardrop excitement got rekindled when Sunset Magazine did an article on Vacations in a Can featuring a teardrop company about 60 miles from us. We did our research but what we wanted was more than we were willing to pay considering our age and ROI. We cooled down about getting a teardrop until one spring I checked EBay and there was a teardrop in Reno with a price near to what we were willing to pay. Failed to get it two times as we failed to reach minimum bid. That trailer was a Silver Shadow so I did my research and found Little Guys. Shortly after a Silver Shadow came up for bid on EBay, was also listed on Craigslist and about 30 miles away. We were able to buy the 2010 Silver Shadow off Craigslist last year. 

Now that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
  • VernaVerna Posts: 3,855Member ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw two homebuilt black aluminum teardrops at Camping World.  They were built by brothers.  One had obvious water damage in the cabin and in the galley--that put me off.  The other one was immaculate and I questioned if it had ever been used.  The salesman said yes.  He asked me to put an offer on the "good one".  I jokingly offered $4,000 and he took the offer.....I came up with the stipulation that my sister would have to see it and agree to camp in it with me.  Nope, she wouldn't, so I did get my deposit back. 

So, I left on my already planned retirement trip with the rented SUV and the SUV tent.....the last tent camping trip I hope to ever take.  Every thing went wrong that could go wrong (except the tent didn't leak and the rental SUV was great).  I kept thinking about how I wanted to be off the ground, no more thin nylon, how I wanted to be warm.

I found a "standy" and my sister and split the cost.  We went on a week's trip visiting the eastern coast of Lake Michigan and I figured out that my sister wasn't going to help with any of the camping duties.  OK....we made it for a week.  The next spring, we went on one trip and I told her I would never camp with her again because of how lazy she was.  I've kept my promise.

So, I kept looking for teardrops that would be perfect for me.  I found a 4-wide on Craig's List in Clarksville, TN.  I made an offer, the guy accepted, and I drove down there, sight-unseen (although I checked it out when I got there) and I towed it home.  I loved it.  (My sister was mad when she found out about it because she knew that meant I really wasn't going to camp with her). I put electrical in it, some storage in the galley, under mattress storage, tongue box.  Since it's just myself and my 12 lb dog traveling, I had plenty of room. 

BUT, I saw a 5x10 SS with built-in A/C that Little Guy Worldwide had for sale.  I called and talked to Dylan and then to Joe about it.  And, I thought too long about it.  A friend bought it. 

So, I started looking for 5x10's.  I found one on Ebay.  I bid on it, and stayed on top, and won.  I drove to Southern Indiana and picked it up sight-unseen (again), and I haven't looked back.  Two days after I took delivery, I left for a 2 1/2 week trip to Arizona last year and it was a great 4,250 mile shake-down cruise.  I loved it, loved the extra space, the Escape tows it well, and Sunny Day likes it.  I put 7,600 miles on it last year, slept in it 46 nights (plus 2 nights in the 4-wide equals 48 nights) last year, and I've never felt so good about having a moveable home-away-from-home.  I feel safe in it, and feel that I can travel anywhere I want.

I've made many changes to it, and I'll continue to make changes.  I made a lot of purchases last year to allow me to be able to boondock using my Zamp Solar Panel, and this is the year that those purchases start to pay me back.  I'm so looking forward to a month long trip of traveling this summer, and hopefully snowbirding in the SS next winter. 

I'm a very satisfied Little Guy owner, and proud of it, too ;)

• Lisa33Lisa33 Posts: 1,781Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    We were doing a lot of tent camping with my boyfriend at the time and ran into a family doing a big cross country trip. I was totally enamoured with the idea, however couldn't imagine putting up/taking down the tent every night. I started spending random evenings looking at pop-ups on Craigslist. I was not impressed and still couldn't imagine wanting to deal with the set up involved. I broke up with the boyfriend, and started to seriously think about how to best do a big trip essentially solo (with my 8-yo son). I realized I had only a relatively short window of time during which my son would be willing to take off for long stretches of time with his mom. As luck would have it, one night I was browsing the pop-ups on Craigslist and saw an LG 4 wide with the side tent for sale. I Googled a bit and found out it was called a teardrop trailer. Lots and lots of research later, I decided I wanted to order a Silver Shadow. That was March of 2012. Since then, my son and I have taken three cross country trips through 45 states, several Canadian Provinces and a bit of Mexico. I am so glad I happened upon that Craigslist ad for the 4-wide. It has been nothing less than life changing. :D Lisa
  • daviszoodaviszoo Posts: 270Member

I have only tent camped once.  Turned out some kind of locusts were hatching right then (in the rain) and hundreds crawled around all night under the tent floor.  A pack of wild dogs also entered the campground and sniffed/peed on the sides of the tent all night because of my puppy inside.  All in all, not a good night.

So, the next day, I bought a used pick-up truck and a few days later, a new pop-up pickup camper.  Now I had a metal tent which had almost no set-up and dead-bolt locks with a tiny fridge and cold water/mini stove.  I loved it and used it in the Mongollan Rim every few weeks for 4 years.  I got tired of no hot water and a port-a-potty so upgraded to a 28 foot ultra-light 5th wheel.  I really loved that rig but of course the downside was that I couldn't get way back into more remote parts of my beloved mountains.  I became ill and no longer able to work, so I eventually sold the pickup and RV.  It broke my heart but it was rotting in the lot without use.

Now after several years I'm a bit better and really wanted to get back out in the mountains again.  I didn't think my car (Honda Element) could pull anything I'd like, but one day was surfing when I saw teardrops.  Hmmm, maybe?  So I got a new 5-wide from a local dealer and started going to Tear Jerker events in AZ and CA.  I slept 19 nights in it and realized that I just couldn't take how tiny it was--especially with a rambunctious puppy continually jumping on my head whenever I laid down. So, a couple of weeks ago, I went back to the same dealer and looked at a [email protected].  I fell in love with it.  Now I can take it into tighter places that a larger RV can't go, don't have to buy a big rig and be stuck in large parks and still have some decent mileage.  I'm going to San Francisco next month, up to IRG, then up the OR coast and down the central mountain ranges in OR and N. CA.  It will be an absolute joy to do the trip in the [email protected].  It's roomy so even in the rain I'll be a happy camper :)

• KnobbytireKnobbytire Posts: 56Member
    edited May 2014
    We were tent camping at Black Canyon of the Gunnison. A Suburu Outback pulling a teardrop was our neighbor. I chatted with the owner who was a young school teacher. He quit his job in Nashville, sold out everything, bought the teardrop and was touring the country that summer. In the fall, he was starting a new teaching job in Denver. He had some great stories like when he was settled in for bed one night, a couple driving an enormous fifth wheel were talking outside his open window. The husband was lamenting as to how ridiculous he thought the teardrop was and the wife called it a coffin. The tear owner started laughing loud enough that they could hear it. Anyhow, that had me hooked. I like camping, but not RVing. The teardrop gets me off the ground, but still gives me the camping feel.
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 8,776Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Funny what people have to say about these teardrops as I've had people ask me if it was for my dog to sleep in and a young girl at a fast food place down in Valdosta, GA asked me, "is THAT a freeza?"     =))

And Sharon, I chuckled when I read your account of the hatching locusts and dogs peeing on the tent as it sounds like something out of a movie with Chevy Chase!  
    =))
  • pokerpawzpokerpawz Posts: 26Member
    I am always curious of this same question. I decided a few years ago to build my own and have collected parts but last Dec. I found a LG on ebay and won. So Dec 23 I told my wife we were going to GA for Christmas. Yes, we drove 1800 miles to pick up our teardrop. I still want to build my own but I am unsure whether we will keep the one I build or keep the LG. It's going to be hard to let go of the LG.
  • dpsinohiodpsinohio Posts: 19Member
    A few years back, I was paying a visit to a store in Hilliard, OH, a suburb of Columbus, called Pickups Plus to buy a tonneau cover for my Dodge Dakota. My son was with me and as we drove around to park my truck, there parked right next to the entry door was a Little Guy (don't remember what size) with a beer tap mounted on the exterior. We took a look at it, nice interior, definitely a great exterior (kind of made me thirst for it), and I asked the store if they had any information about it. They said they did not. (Huh, why is it parked on your lot then?) We looked and looked for more information about it and never found it until one evening I happened upon it doing an internet search. After that, in Nov. 2012, I called Chris Baum directly and started putting together my customized list of options. I ordered a 6x10 Silver Shadow with the cherry wood package. Very elegant and rich looking inside and out. Loving it ever since!
    SS1.jpg 293.1K
    SS2.jpg 92.5K
  • DennisDennis Posts: 17Member
    dpsinohio
    My compliments, A really "class" looking Silver Shadow.

• SmokeyBear12SmokeyBear12 Posts: 27Member

In 2010 I started volunteering with SCCA as a corner worker.  Since it's volunteer, I wanted to keep costs down.  Motels were too expensive and camping was too hard on my old bones.  I'd seen teardrops around and thought that might be a good solution.  I knew for certain I wouldn't be building it, it would be manufactured.  Some searches on craigslist turned up this one and it's perfect for me.  I just happened to be a little guy.

See my sig.

• RhondaRhonda Posts: 149Member
    edited May 2014
    Man, it really is, dpsinohio! Love the "mood" lighting at night...hope I can do something like that when I get my [email protected]::::waiting with bated breath::::until July!::::::Love this thread! I became interested in small campers many years ago when I saw an Airstream Bambi advertisement. Began lusting for one and gathered, over the years, all the brochures I could on the Bambi for "dreamscaping". Then, a couple of years ago an acquaintance bought a teardrop (not sure if it was an LG) and I immediately fell in love--only saw it once but that was all it took. The vintage look of it appealed to me as well as the tiny size. I stumbled upon this forum about a month ago while surfing late at night and, well...that's all she wrote!

Decided on the [email protected] for its "in-between" size and I can't wait to get her! This forum is great for research and so many folks here have been exceptionally kind to help me narrow the decision to the [email protected] I'm not a camper but I'm gonna' be playing one in about eight weeks! YAY! I love it when pics are posted and I plan on posting a bunch (like a proud mama) when she comes in! 
    :)
  • RchestekRchestek Posts: 261Member
    Years ago when I lived in Indianapolis, I went up to Muncie for a women's drumming retreat. One of the gals there had a bright yellow Jeep and a yellow-trimmed [email protected] I fell in love! When I got home, I looked it up in Google and thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Last year, once we were settled in Laramie, I noticed that practically every house in town had a camper parked in the drive or the street. There's tons of places nearby to camp, so I got hubby on board and started looking into campers small enough that my Subaru Forester could pull it. I looked at the [email protected] again and obsessed over it for a few weeks, but instead went with a 5x10 SS because it was lighter and with the galley outside I wouldn't have to worry about hubby not being able to stand up straight in a [email protected] I checked online for any and all LG dealers nearby (none in WY, so had to go with either UT or CO) and found one in Salt Lake City that had SS's still in production. The dealership and I contacted Chris at Little Guy and I made an offer and down payment on my SS. Hubby and I drove to SLC last July and picked up our new camper (litter mate to ATippetts' SS) and have had a blast camping in her and fixing her all up. When I go on camping trips with the Sisters on the Fly, my little Silver Nugget really stands out in contrast to all those wonderfully decorated vintage trailers.
  • GroveratcGroveratc Posts: 500Administrator, Moderator admin
    Growing up next to Yellowstone I had always seen teardrops off and on and had always thought that they were "cute". It wasn't until about 4 years ago that I saw a travel channel??? Show on teardrops that I became hooked. Lots of research later I settled and designed my SS. Now I just need to get stateside so that I can pick it up and head out on a month long trip. :D
  • LinoLino Posts: 220Member ✭✭✭
    So I'm new here but this a great thread for me to join. My buddy has had a six wide for years and loves it. For the past 2 years I have been driving by a dealership and finally stopped in and saw one in person about a month ago. Within 2 weeks I had my own brand new 6 wide and love it.

I'm in northern Virginia and am going back to Shenadoah National park tomorrow.
  • PKCSPTPKCSPT Posts: 47Member

I love camping, husband tried it in a few different campers and a tent and just said it isn;t  for him but I should still go.  So I looked for a small trailer to tow with  my Beetle and found teardrops and a place in Wisconsin that sold them and had the Little Guy Econ model.

I could not be having more fun with my Little Guy, love it and the ease of towing and setup.

• Raine11937Raine11937 Posts: 1,547Member ✭✭✭
    Lino: welcome and enjoy! I hear Shenandoah is wonderful, it is on my list!
  • NovaboyNovaboy Posts: 46Member
    I discovered them by fluke. Decided that a class c motorhome was too much money, and there wasn't enough family interest, so I looked for small trailers to tow behind my VW Golf. Saw the teardrops, and now I have a deposit down on a new Silver Shadow 5x8. With a side tent there will be room for 4 when the kids want to tag along.
  • DaveyBDaveyB Posts: 418Member ✭✭✭
    I thought i would bring this thread back into circulation seeing as there has been many newbies on here that might want to share there story. So here is mine .... enjoy! 
    Growing up, i came from a family of campers. We would tent camp every year as our yearly vacation. Having only boys in the family made it a little easier as my mom would say. We also camped with the Cub Scouts and than onto Boy Scouts over the years. I myself never made to the point where i signed on as a Boy Scout, but still i got to tag along with the 2 older brothers and dad. 
    Over the years my parents moved up to a pop up camper. That is a family of 6 in this thing ... wow! At some point my parents set up a permanent site at a year long camp site with cement pad and storage shed. I loved it. The years went on
    and my brothers and i lost some interest in family time and just wanted to hang with friends. I still liked camping and went with friends a few times in my twenties. Once married, camping changed to ocean front resorts and cruises which i don't regret one bit. Nothing wrong with new experiences.  Now all along i always had interest in the oldies. Older cars, 50's and 60's music. anything oldies. This is how i first seen teardrop trailers, in pictures. It wasn't until many, many years later when camping with just the brothers i saw one being camped in. I said wow i want one of those some day. Over the years tent camping came back more with the brothers. I moved up to an SUV tent for a couple years and really enjoyed camping yet being off the ground ( plus it is nice knowing my snoring isn't echoing through out a tent and beyond those canvass walls) :# . It was than when i started to actually research Teardrop campers on line. Kept looking, kept hoping i can afford one, kept searching. As mentioned in the past, not many of these around the midwest area. Signed up on this forum in hopes of seeing one for sale. Kept checking e bay and craigslist, than started searching RV Trader on line. That is where it ended.  Bought my 1 year old basic 5 wide from a dealer south of Indianapolis. Love everything about it. Love working on it. I have camped in it and have used it for simple tailgating. Ease of use is great. ........... So there is my story. Please enjoy this picture. It is from late sixties or early seventies, and my family in front of camp. Look at my mom's hair! :o That's me on the left looking BORED! 
  • phrelcophrelco Posts: 379Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks Dave for sharing your story! It brings back many memories of my 50's/60's upbringing: Cub Scouts; Boy Scouts; camping with mom and dad; camping with friends as I got older and gained more independence, and finally camping with the family my wife and I started.

I ordered a SS 5x10 with a delivery date of around Jan/Feb. After my kids grew up and went their separate ways, I gave up camping because of back problems. Being newly retired fairly recently, the camping bug came back, but the thought of sleeping on the ground made me wince. For several years, thoughts gravitated towards pop up tent trailers, but the concern of thin canvas or nylon and their potential longevity were in doubt, plus their costs were not much less than a basic teardrop. After much searching and surfing, the decision was made to buy a teardrop, settling on Little Guy due to the glowing reports and reviews written of them on the web. This forum is what really clinched the deal!

I'm looking forward to taking ownership of "The Road Toad", decking it out, heading out wherever wanderlust leads me, and meeting teardroppers of like mind.

Photo below is of the family, and the son of a friend of mine sitting on my lap. Taken in July, 1990 north of Lake Tahoe.

• LilWVTDLilWVTD Posts: 149Member ✭✭

I'm also come from camping background.  My first camp"out" I was in a playpen by the Shenandoah River with my parents (I was a baby they said).  I was brought up in an Outdoorsy family, but as young adult, years fly by, I got away from camping and was RVing (following Nascar) instead.   We sold the travel trailer and I still wanted to camp again.  Went back to tent.  Didn't like sleeping on ground anymore...

Little Guy Dealer was not far and a week later I got my Little G :)  

• BethHBethH Posts: 17Member
    I was convinced for months that a mini motorhome pulling my Honda Element was the way to go even though it was a lot of money and I'd have to deal with a lot of maintenance.  The nail in the coffin was the cost of gas after renting one for a few days.  So I started looking at travel trailers with the thought of trading in for a bigger tow vehicle.  But when it came down to it, I couldn't part with my beloved, dependable Element that I've had for 10 years.  I really liked the [email protected], but it was too much weight, and thought the Little Guy was too small.  Then eureka - I found the [email protected]!  Just like Goldilocks, it was just right!  The real clincher was the side tent which is like having a 100 square foot living room.
  • OldbikerOldbiker Posts: 263Member ✭✭✭
    I have rode motorcycles & camped since I was 12 year old. Yes my own motorcycle @ 12. A couple guys in our bunch were a little older & sort of watched over us. When I got married @ 19, I told my wife, I come with a motorcycle. She traveled with me & camped in tents until pregnant 4 year later. After childrin (2) entered the picture she told me to go, travel and have fun. I did. When children got old enough I would take one with me when they wanted to go.

Fast forward & children were grown but we had 4 footed baby's. She said she couldn't leave them even when we could have left them with our 2 legged children. At 19-1\2 years for one & 17-1\2 they are both gone. A pact was made. No more house pets.

Time to camp together. She said bad knees & age was not good for tent camping. I had a custom trike built & bought a TimeOut pop up for pulling just for her to travel with me. Its worked great for the last 5-6 year. I only pull it when she is with me as its a workout for me to set up.

I have have traveled out west on several occasions with buddies & now she wants to go for around 3 week trip. She won't go on the bike as she thinks it will be to hard on her. After 42 years of marrage to the same lady, I want her as comfortable as possible. We originally were going in a BMW Z3 roadster pulling the TimeOut. Then I got to looking @ teardrops.

Made the decision we were a little old for the long trip in the roadster so I bought us a BMW X3 & after looking for a while settled on the MyPod to put in tow. Purchased a right line SUV tent to use with it. I went with the MyPod so I can pull it with our trike for taking her on shorter trips. Most of the time when I travel by myself, I ride 2 wheels & sleep in a hammock but with the purchase of the Pod, that may change. 

• EileenEileen Posts: 74Member
    Oldbiker said:
    I have rode motorcycles & camped since I was 12 year old. Yes my own motorcycle @ 12. A couple guys in our bunch were a little older & sort of watched over us. When I got married @ 19, I told my wife, I come with a motorcycle. She traveled with me & camped in tents until pregnant 4 year later. After childrin (2) entered the picture she told me to go, travel and have fun. I did. When children got old enough I would take one with me when they wanted to go.

Fast forward & children were grown but we had 4 footed baby's. She said she couldn't leave them even when we could have left them with our 2 legged children. At 19-1\2 years for one & 17-1\2 they are both gone. A pact was made. No more house pets.

Time to camp together. She said bad knees & age was not good for tent camping. I had a custom trike built & bought a TimeOut pop up for pulling just for her to travel with me. Its worked great for the last 5-6 year. I only pull it when she is with me as its a workout for me to set up.

I have have traveled out west on several occasions with buddies & now she wants to go for around 3 week trip. She won't go on the bike as she thinks it will be to hard on her. After 42 years of marrage to the same lady, I want her as comfortable as possible. We originally were going in a BMW Z3 roadster pulling the TimeOut. Then I got to looking @ teardrops.

Made the decision we were a little old for the long trip in the roadster so I bought us a BMW X3 & after looking for a while settled on the MyPod to put in tow. Purchased a right line SUV tent to use with it. I went with the MyPod so I can pull it with our trike for taking her on shorter trips. Most of the time when I travel by myself, I ride 2 wheels & sleep in a hammock but with the purchase of the Pod, that may change. 

You are quite the gentleman. I loved where you wrote, "After 42 years of marriage to the same lady, I want her as comfortable as possible." Brought a lump to my throat.
  • lunatelunate Posts: 44Member
    I wanted one as soon as I saw one on The Price is Right when I was about 18. I really considered getting one then, but logic won out and I used that money for college.  Fast forward 6 or 7 years and my husband wakes me up one morning to show me these cool trailers he found.  We purchased or [email protected] within a week or two! 
  • Operafan49Operafan49 Posts: 95Member ✭✭
    After a half-century of tent camping, age and arthritis conspired to get me off the ground. No ground pad or air mattress was enough to keep me from feeling stiff as a board in the morning and sometimes unable to stand up without help. Since my family had owned a pop-up when I was a kid, I bought an old used one and immediately regretted it.  Fortunately, I met a couple elsewhere in the campground, who had a small camper (I think it was a Scamp), and they gave me a great tour, but suggested that I look at a teardrop. When I got back home, I Googled "teardrop camper," and Little Guy popped right up.  Learned that a dealer was only 400 miles away (that's across the street in this part of the country), and a month later traded in the pop-up and came home with a new 5-Wide. A year later, I came into some money, traded in the 5-Wide and ordered a customized Silver Shadow. Am now truly a happy camper.

• EileenEileen Posts: 74Member
    After a half-century of tent camping, age and arthritis conspired to get me off the ground. No ground pad or air mattress was enough to keep me from feeling stiff as a board in the morning and sometimes unable to stand up without help. Since my family had owned a pop-up when I was a kid, I bought an old used one and immediately regretted it.  Fortunately, I met a couple elsewhere in the campground, who had a small camper (I think it was a Scamp), and they gave me a great tour, but suggested that I look at a teardrop. When I got back home, I Googled "teardrop camper," and Little Guy popped right up.  Learned that a dealer was only 400 miles away (that's across the street in this part of the country), and a month later traded in the pop-up and came home with a new 5-Wide. A year later, I came into some money, traded in the 5-Wide and ordered a customized Silver Shadow. Am now truly a happy camper.

I had been looking at the Ridgelines. How is it so far? I miss having a Honda.
  • lightningdonlightningdon Posts: 118Member ✭✭
    We were tent campers, and wanted to get off the ground and off of cots. I just was not interested in a standup camper, as I wanted something just for sleeping and getting out of the weather. Hated pop-ups as well. Then I spotted a cool looking small camper that got my mind spinning one day traveling north of Baltimore. It was parked in a new car dealer lot. I caught the little guy web addy and checked it out as soon as I got home. Turned out is was a LG 5 wide. We were not ready financially to purchase anything, but a year later, LG added the [email protected] to their line. We fell in love with it. Then late last Fall, I got my TV, then headed to Beckleys to check them out in person and pulled the trigger in February this year.
  • Operafan49Operafan49 Posts: 95Member ✭✭
    Eileen said:
    I had been looking at the Ridgelines. How is it so far? I miss having a Honda.
    Hi Eileen --

I love it -- can't think of anything I'd trade it for. It's comfortable, well-appointed, relatively fuel-efficient and tows the Silver Shadow as if it even wasn't there. I sometimes find myself looking back to make sure the camper is still there. It has a good amount of interior storage, especially with the back seats folded up. The lockable storage container in the truck bed is great for storing camping equipment, especially coolers.

It's not perfect.  I wish there were more electrical outlets, both 12V cigarette lighter-type and USB in both the cabin and the box. A built-in 110-volt inverter with outlets would be great.  The audio system is subpar.  I  understand the system in the higher priced models is significantly better, but you really pay for it.

Make sure you work with a sales representative who really knows what he/she is talking about or is willing to find out. Honda's printed materials and website are truly unhelpful.

Despite these quibbles, I think you or any teardrop owner would be very happy with the Ridgeline.

• SueBHunnySueBHunny Posts: 37Member
    We are music festival junkies.  But the older we get, the more we crave AC.  We were fine with our 6 man tent and 2 cots, except for the sun boiling us alive in our tent by 8 am.  In order to more easily enjoy late night music, we got our [email protected] so we can sleep away the morning in air conditioned comfort. :-)
  • PeanutsPeanuts Posts: 1Member
    When I was 12, my parents bought a popup and we toured for years around the U.S and I was hooked on camping and traveling.  After becoming an adult, I mostly tented, but also had a truck camper for a couple of years and a Travato, class B, enjoying them, but definitely not needing all the bells and whistles.  I think the bigger the RV, the more you are distanced from nature.  I even saw a family camping one evening with a beautiful campfire, all sitting in front of the TV outside!  I still tent camp often when backpacking, but I bought my little [email protected] after deciding I wanted to get back to nature without bells and whistles and wanted to be able to handle everything necessary when solo camping. 
  • WildcatWildcat Posts: 623Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    As a kid, living in the country, no neighbors, I  camped at home over across the creek all summer with German Shepherd. I managed with a hatchet and a cast iron frying pan, kept the food cold in a little spring. Dad stretched a canvas in the trees to keep me dry.  And I always went to 4-H camp where some kids bawled to go home while I had all manner of fun. City kids didn't even know how to build a fire, so it was interesting to watch back then. It was all fun for me.  Fast forward many years to retirement, still living in the same place, I was at the coast one day and saw a teardrop trailer and thought it would be cool to have one to crash in while on photo excursions--with dog.  So, I went home and started searching online and found Little Guy and liked the Five Wide and still do.  I wish my needs were still as simple as the hatchet and fry pan and dog.
  • WilliWilli Posts: 11Member
    My parents had a Starcraft Pop Up when I was young. Spent quite a bit of time camping while I was in the Boy Scouts. After that I had some really good times camping in the Army. While the kids were growing up we did some tent camping but since they’ve all moved away we haven’t really done much camping. My oldest son and took a motorcycle trip to North Georgia for 3 days. While packing up to leave I wadded up the tent and decided no more tents. Wife did the research on this trailer and I enjoy it immensely..
  • FrankHenryFrankHenry Posts: 4Member
    My son wanted to become a real estate agent in NJ, so we contributed all we had and started traveling in the little guy. Then finally after a year we also settled in NJ and sold the little guy. It was a tough year and we didn't had so much but the little guy was much of the help that time and we are thankful for it.