Water leaking when towing

I have a 2014 [email protected] and just got home from a camping outing where I ran through some rain on the way home from the campground.  When I got home I was taking out some Boxes that rode inside the camper and found out that both sides of the bed by the doors were both very wet  This wasn't the first time the trailer had been towed in the rain but it is the first time that anything in the interior got wet.  Has anyone had the same problem ?  anyone know if the bottom seal of the doors going bad.  Both doors were closed tightly and double locked. 

Comments

• VernaVerna Posts: 3,855Member ✭✭✭✭✭

GW, if you are still within the 1 year from purchase warranty, then the first call to make would be to your dealer.  Let them help you.

If you need help beyond the dealer, the factory would be the next place to call. Please talk to the person who answers the phone and let them have the correct person get back to you. 

And, no, I don't have a [email protected], and I haven't heard of this problem with the [email protected] before.

Good Luck

• RahtwareRahtware Posts: 399Member
    Speaking from experience, make sure the sheets aren't closed in the door...
  • cptphilbcptphilb Posts: 6Member
    I'm thinking of having a carpenter/cabinet maker install under mattress storage in my 2014 [email protected]  What is the total thickness of the floor?  I want to make sure no screws go through the bottom of the camper!!! 
    I know the sides are 1.5" thick.....
    Thanks for any info!

• wincrasherwincrasher Posts: 137Member
    It is curious that both sides would decide to leak at the same time.  Odds are that you might have one seal fail, but two at the same time?

First, check for obstructions as Rahtware suggests.  Then inspect your seals and see that they are intact on both sides.

If both look good, then you need to call your dealer.  Water is something you don't want to wait on.  Also, it's not always obvious where it's coming in. 

Could also be your side windows (check latches are tight), but it also could seep in from the galley and "wick" thru your mattress.

Good luck!
  • gwlamb1957gwlamb1957 Posts: 29Member
    Thanks for all the info, I was wondering if since I have installed a Fantastic fan vent cover that allows me to keep open the fan cover even in the rain, I was towing the trailer with the vent open but everything else shut up tight if i could have created some sort of vacuum that would have sucked the rain and mist from the high into the trailer.
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 8,776Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's most likely that the windows need adjusting (are loose in the frame) and water is coming in at the lower corners. There is a video that discusses this here in the resource area and this can be easily accomplished if you are comfortable doing it. If your trailer is still under warranty check with your dealer as this is an easy fix. I had the same thing happen and once I tightened the window pane via this fix the problem was eliminated.
    Absolutely your vent could be the problem.  You cannot drive down the highway in the rain with that open even if you have one of those covers.  They are not designed to do that.

As you are going down the road, the back side of the vent cover is actually going to have a suction on it.  Any rainwater will be immediately sucked into it and inside your trailer.

Believe it or not, the aerodynamics of a trailer are severely impacted by the tail end of the trailer, not just the nose.  That is one reason why the teardrops are so easy to tow, the end treatment helps it slip thru the air and reduce the drag on the tow vehicle.
    edited October 2014
    Absolutely your vent could be the problem.  You cannot drive down the highway in the rain with that open even if you have one of those covers.  They are not designed to do that.

As you are going down the road, the back side of the vent cover is actually going to have a suction on it.  Any rainwater will be immediately sucked into it and inside your trailer.

Believe it or not, the aerodynamics of a trailer are severely impacted by the tail end of the trailer, not just the nose.  That is one reason why the teardrops are so easy to tow, the end treatment helps it slip thru the air and reduce the drag on the tow vehicle.

I will agree that a regular or uncovered vent cover could allow moisture inside a trailer and it would most likely gather below the open vent cover. But according to the member's post above or in interpreting it a new "cover" was installed over the top of the existing Fantastic vent. If that is the case then water should not be getting into the cabin area via the vent, if it was cracked open. My Aeroflo cover doesn't let water into my SS cabin area with the vent in the fully open position.

If the bedding is wet next to the doors on both sides the problem is most likely a result of water entering the cabin area at the bottom corners of the window and via loose glass panels that allow water to flow in at the window track and causing the bedding to wick said water in. This problem does occur and by tapping along the window edges you can actually hear the difference in the sound or a rattle if you will. If the pane is solidly seated in the track you will hear a thud or rather solid sound.

One would think that if it is coming in the vent, the center of the bed would be wet.    Assuming the fan isn't running, slinging water around.  Then you'd expect a fine mist over much of the interior.

Mike, are you saying that you can cruise down the interstate, in the rain, with your vent open with this aeroflow cover, and no water will come in?
  • VernaVerna Posts: 3,855Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Mike is correct.  I leave my Fantastic Fan vent open on the road, and with the Aeroflow Vent Cover, absolutely no water comes in.  This includes driving in over 3" of hard rain in Ohio on the way to Tearstock in August.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 89Member ✭✭
    The vent, pointing to the back will cause a small negative pressure or vacuum in the teardrop. The vent will pull air out of the trailer and air will have to leak in where it can.  In this case it may be the window seals.  This negative pressure is what keeps rain from blowing into the vent while you drive, but the air that escapes out the vent has to come from somewhere and the window and door seals are the most likely point of ingress.  I would suggest closing the vent when driving in rain or dust to avoid the suction that the open vent facing the back end (low pressure) causes. If you have an air conditioner installed, the air may leak in through the air conditioner vents and that is unlikely to pull in any rain but might still pull in some dust on a very dusty road.
    I traveled today in the rain here in Northern Michigan (I've been on the road since Saturday) and my vent was open and I have had no issues.
    Steve, you could be onto something.

I was wondering if the AC venting system really draws much, or any air out of the cabin.

But if an open vent is causing much of a vacuum, then that air will likely follow the path of least resistance.  If the seals in the windows or doors are compromised, or anything is loose fitting, then I would agree that water could be drawn thru there.   Not sure the OP would really like to conduct a test to be sure, considering the result is more water inside his trailer.

The answer probably is to check the seals and window fitment as suggested and get the dealer to address.
  • gwlamb1957gwlamb1957 Posts: 29Member
    Michigan Mike, My windows are not on the doors I have a [email protected], there wasn't water below the window.  But I will look up that fix you were talking about.  The next time it rains I will take the [email protected] out for a stroll at highway speeds and see if the problem repeats itself. I will do this with the mattresses rolled up and with paper towels on the floor.  If it repeats itself she will be going back to the dealer.  
  • RahtwareRahtware Posts: 399Member
    I think you are on to something. If the trailer didn't leak before the vent cover was installed, but did after it was, simple logic says that might be the cause of the problem; close the vent and see if the leaks stop.  That might not fix it 100% as the cover could still cause a bit of negative pressure which might be enough to suck air through the vent and door seals. 

Mike is up on this stuff, but I wonder if the [email protected] shape/construction differences with the SS might also add to the problem. 
  • HighPressureHighPressure Posts: 10Member
    My brand new Little Guy 5 wide have the same issue. Mattress and sleeping bags get wet on both sides around the doors/windows when travel in rain. We had to use garbage bags as shields. Its a pain in the butt to pull over to do this each time it rains but it does keep my bed dry.   

I am in Canada and wonder if there is a Teardrop dealer around GTA that can help me fix this problems? 
    Check in the video reference area and there is a video that will show you how to adjust the windows.  Start there as it's most likely leaking in along the lower corners of the windows, along the track and wicking into your bedding.  I had the same issue and if you take your time you can do the repair yourself....  
  • DianeMDianeM Posts: 54Member
    Scott Hubble told me never to drive with the vent open, even with a vent cover installed. He said it creates a vacuum and water will find a way in past even good seals. Makes sense to me. To be honest, I don't get why people want the vent open during travel. To air it out?
    edited October 2014
    Sometimes it's left open because I have forgotten to close it.  Scott's advice is solid no doubt, but it hasn't been an issue for me personally and when I'm traveling out west in a hot environment it's nice to be able to get into my trailer and have it cooled down.  I do however make sure it's closed in dusty conditions (e.g. or when traveling on a dirt road, etc.) such as I encountered out in Texas earlier this spring down in Amarillo.  
  • EddyboybluesEddyboyblues Posts: 1Member
    Add me to the list of Silver Shadow owners with leaks during towing.  I think window/door drains are a likely culprit.  Mine is a 2017.  Thanks to those who have posted tips.
  • TomDTomD Posts: 75Moderator mod
    No leaking for me. I have been driving through several good downpours with no ill effects. Knocking on wood right now.