MPG

potterydanpotterydan Posts: 3Member

Ok, I don’t know if anyone has put out a call to everyone to say what MPG they’re getting pulling the Max. Please include tow vehicle brand name and model, 2wd, 4wd, or AWD, engine size, V8, V6, diesel or gas, and even rear axle ratio if you know what it is. If possible indicate if your trip/trips are in the mountains, flatland, or combo. Please no estimates. Only actual MPG from an actual calculation or resetting your MPG trip meter before your trip. I know this is quite the assingment but it’s Sunday and I bet you have 10 minutes to do this. Thank you. 

Comments

• cfullgrafcfullgraf Posts: 8Member
    I've only had one trip with my Little Guy Max and the vehicle got 13 MPG on the truck's computer. Tow vehicle is a Ram 1500 Ecodiesel (turbo V6) 4x4 with a 3.92 rear end ratio, crew cab with a 5'-7" box.

Trip was in the foot hills of Tennessee and Kentucky north of Knoxville. 
    To add, my Ram 1500 gets 25-26 MPG unloaded on the highway depending how deep my foot goes down the intake.

The 1500 is quite new built in 11/2017 (2000 miles) so the numbers may change as I get more time on the truck.

As a reference, my 2015 Ram 2500 Cummins diesel (manual 6 speed transmission, 3.55 or there abouts rear end) pulling my 24 foot race trailer (est 8000 pounds loaded with the race car) gets 11-12 mpg depending on the speed I drive and the destination. Terrain is mostly flat or rolling hills traveling from Knoxville, TN to Atlanta (Road Atlanta), Savannah (Roebling Road), Birmingham (Barber Motorsports Park), and Kershaw, SC (Carolina Motorsports Park). We tow the race trailer 5000-6000 miles per year.

• marvfennermarvfenner Posts: 7Member
    TV is a 2015 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner. Only two trips so far at about 10MPG each. Was a little shocked, but a few TacomaWorld threads seem to indicate that this is probably expected.
    We're looking for ways to lighten the load (probably up to around 5,000lbs if you include the stuff we jam into the truck), and I've ordered air bags. Looking forward to the rig not looking like a "V" from front to back. Perhaps the mileage will improve a bit after these mods (one can hope!).
  • SuenRobSuenRob Posts: 1Member
    We tried towing our LGM with a 2018 Toyota Highlander (3.5 liter, V6, gas) on two trips - one in the Colorado Mountains and another from Colorado through Wyoming to the Oregon Coast and back. Mileage ranged from 9 to 12mpg, considerably less in headwinds and climbing. The engine had to really struggle most of the time, was high reving and the transmission was never able to get into gears 7 and 8, even downhill with a tailwind. Totally inadequate, despite dealer assurances. 
    Toyota then replaced with a Chevy Colorado Z71, AWD, 2.8l turbo diesel. From Colorado to Death Valley and back, averaged 14mpg, and much easier pulling and at higher speeds. Even the dogs were happy. 
  • minitrailsminitrails Posts: 2Member
    I just drove my new 2019 Mini Max camper 45 miles mostly uphill in mountains and got an average about 5 MPG only.  I did not use manual lower gear to climb hill, which may help?  Car manual stated car adequate to tow weight, but I was surprised at low mileage.  Tow vehicle is Subaru Outback AWD, 4 cyclinder, 2016, gas.  Without trailer I averaged 29.5 MPG driving 24K in mountain and gradual grade roads.  
  • TomDTomD Posts: 75Moderator mod
    Sounds like you’re maxing out on the power and torque of your Outback. The result is not only bad gas mileage but could be possible drive line damage.
    An additional comment, I find pulling my race car trailer or the Little Guy Max has much lower fuel economy than when I am towing a flat bed trailer. The wind resistance of pulling a box through the air greatly effects the fuel economy of the tow vehicle. 

I've been towing at 60-65 mph recently and the fuel economy is a bit better but still quite low. My Ram 2500 gets about a half to a full MPG better fuel economy running at a bit slower speed when pulling my race car trailer.

The last trip I made with the Ram 1500 and the Little Guy Max, I was running around 13 MPG as shown on the truck's computer on the trip from Knoxville to St. Augustine, FL and back keeping the speed at less than 65 mph for the most part.

The slower speed does make driving more comfortable as at the bit slower speed, traffic passes me by and I'm not constantly speeding up and slowing down due to other traffic. Besides, most trailer tires are rated for 65 mph max speed anyway.

As an aside, I'm finding the vehicle's computer does not exactly match real world when computing fuel economy. But it is adequate for comparison purposes for the moment comparing apples to apples.

• JimeJime Posts: 21Member
    Gas mpg seemed about the same with our LGM, as I got towing our 34ft. T/T, at the same speeds, with our RAM 1500. Towing is towing, drag is drag, when we all tow our rigs, got to bite the bullet and feed the BEASTS we tow with, or stay home. It is what is, Amen!!!!
  • TAlanTAlan Posts: 3Member
    I have a 2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4X4  V6 engine I get 20 mpg   When I pull my 2019 Mini Max  Driving mainly on flat land with a few normal hills  I average 10.5 mpg at 65 mph  Wow and if there is a head wind it drops to 9 mpg  
  • madohufmadohuf Posts: 9Member
    I tow our 2019 Max with empty tanks and well under 3,500 lbs using a 2018 Honda Ridgeline 2wd in California traveling the speed limit for auto pulling trailers (55 mph). I get between 11 mpg (pulling up hill against a 25-35 mph head wind, 16 mph on flat land with no wind to 18.1 mpg traveling on mixed roadways with up and down grades.
  • bobshroyerbobshroyer Posts: 20Member
    Wow, I am surprised that the mileage is that low overall. Today, I bought a Max and was going to buy a Mini Max but I hit my head too many times in the mini that I decided against it. My dealer, who also owns a Jeep V6 Grand Cherokee like I do, said I would have no trouble pulling the max but he did say that mileage would suffer. By that time, I was already sold on the Max. I hope I don't live to regret it from a gas mileage standpoint. The lesson here may be that towing power (I can tow 6200 Lbs) and gas mileage are not necessarily linked like one might think that they are. What do you folks think?
  • ArfArf Posts: 10Member
    I have to agree with Jim.  It is what it is. Pay or go home.  We pull our Max with a 2017 GMC Acadia Denali with the V6 and towing package.  We are about 2200 miles into our current trip and are in southern GA.  We got about 11 MPG getting down here and once here, without the Max we get 24-26 depending on whether it is local or highway.  The weather back home in MA is frightful and we are glad to be warm and cozy.  We love our Max.

• OJmartinOJmartin Posts: 36Member
    Pull our SS with a stock 4 cylinder Nissan Frontier. On highway, traveling at approx 100 kph, get approx 25 mpg unloaded. Approx 20 mpg with SS in tow. When camping, do have more stuff in bed of truck, probably more wind resistance than when not camping. Had about a 1000 pounds of wood pellets in the truck, similar fuel consumption to towing.
  • MambomiMambomi Posts: 5Member
    I just finished a 10k mile trip with my new LG Max using a 2019 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Off-road package.  My gas mileage varied significantly but at the end of the day I would say I was getting an average of 10mpg. Some stretches were as bad as 7MPG, some were as good at 15mpg.  Mostly drove at 55mph with the exception of some cases where I could drive 60 or 65 safely.  On hills I tried to shift down to prevent the auto transmission to overheat by shifting constantly uphill and minimize braking downhill.

As a side note, I strongly recommend to never max out your vehicle’s max tow rating. You need to remember that you need to consider all the stuff you are bringing with you in the tow vehicle.  Weight adds quicker than you expect. I tend to never tow anything that’s more than 50% to 60% of the max tow capacity rating so that I have a buffer for the extra weight and give myself a good safety factor. Also spend some time understanding your combined max towing capacity (vehicle + trailer).  Find a scale (I use one of those CAT Scales near my house) weigh your vehicle by itself to see what the weight distribution per axle is.  Then see how that changes with the TT attached to se what your is actual tongue weight. This will help you decide on whether you need a weight distribution hitch with sway control, sway control only or neither of the two.  These things don’t necessarily have to do with gas mileage but, you know, safety first!
    What is the tow rating on the Tacoma? How much HP and Torque does that truck have?
  • MambomiMambomi Posts: 5Member
    I believe my model is 278HP and 265 ft/lb of torque. the tow rating is 6500lb max and 650lb tongue weight max. I don’t have the remaining numbers handy but i can get them if you need them.

I really do love the Tacoma.  I bought it for personal use first/tow vehicle second. I’m not a fan of driving large trucks in urban environments.  The LG Max is definitely in the high end of what I would tow with the tacoma for an extended period. For a max I would still recommend a 1 ton truck. That size of truck should pull a max like a champ.  A 1/2 ton like the tacoma will do well but you will definitely feel it.
    Thanks. I asked because I wasn't sure if your Toyota was equal to my Jeep Grand Cherokee. But they sound very similar in torque, HP and tow capacity. I did not notice any pulling problems with my Jeep but I have not gone up any big hills. I do  have a weight distribution hitch and the Ltd version of this Jeep comes with a special tow suspension that is stiffer than normal. Unfortunately, I only ever drove 180 miles before parking it and I have not been traveling since the initial week of ownership. I will see how it does shortly as I head off for full time retirement in my Max. I am hoping that I can keep the Jeep (which I love) as my tow vehicle but time will tell.

While pulling my max with 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee v6 295 HP 260 ft lbs Gas, I was getting 13.8 -14 mph on Interstate 40 at 55 MPH. Weight Adjusting hitch and sway bars. No sway or V shape, pulled well but since I never went up really hilly terrain at a slower speed, the jury is still out. On a trip from NC to FL with just the Jeep at Interstate speeds I was getting 26+ MPH so it went down by 50% when I added the Max. Ouch!
  • chriszkechriszke Posts: 1Member
    We tow our LGM with a 2018 Grand Cherokee paired with the V8 Hemi.   I've made a couple of long trips.   Detroit to Denver CO and Detroit to Washington DC.    I've averaged 11 mpg each time driving between 62 and 64 mph, depending on traffic conditions.    It tows with ease.    We've not regretted the Tow Vehicle purchasing decision.
    That's great info on the Hemi. With gas engines it is always interesting, a smaller engine should get better gas mileage than a larger engine except when the smaller engine strains. I don't seem to have any trouble towing with the 295 HP V6 but I will bet I will get mileage in the same vicinity as the larger V8 but the V8 will have no trouble whatsoever as you mentioned. I think had I realized that the tow ratings they give to vehicles do not tell the whole story (ease of towing heavier weights AND gas mileage) I would have opted for the V8 with a 7200 Lb towing rating versus 6200 lb rating for the V6. But I thought I was towing a 4000 lb. trailer and had plenty of reserve and while I do think it has adequate power (so far), its gas mileage is where I believe it will suffer in the long run. Moral of this story - do not depend on the tow rating of the tow vehicle to tell you whether or not you will optimize both towing and gas consumption. Maybe a good rule of thumb is get a tow rating that is 2X of the "loaded" trailer weight.