Battery Life and Heating In The Mini

maxmachmaxmach Posts: 26Member
I am finding the mini max battery is limited in capacity, especially for heating at night.  An acquaintance, suggested two 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series.  These are quite heavy at 60lbs each, so leery about adding120lbs to the mini's front tongue.  So, tentatively, planning on mounting them on a cargo carrier on the rear trailer hitch (placarded @ 175lbs max).  I searched the forum and could not find any info on mounting locations or the electrical tie-in used for the mini (assuming front tongue additions tie-in to the original battery).  IF you added batteries on the mini, please share where you mounted them and where you tied them in to the electrical system.  Thanks folks.

Comments

• ShawneeKotsShawneeKots Posts: 67Member
    Do not expect to run an electric heater on battery power very long.

• TomDTomD Posts: 67Moderator mod
    As stated in your last post if you do a search “6V batteries” you will find a lot of useful information.Years and years of information in this regard. Still relavant to your rig. I mounted my batteries on the tounge as well as others have and there are a lot of stories on how to offset this issue.
  • maxmachmaxmach Posts: 26Member
    edited November 2018
    Thanks Tdebakker1, but I am looking for info specific to the mini-max, especially if someone has already done this already to their mini-max, not other models with different specs and wiring.  If I missed a post addressing the mini, please let me know!
    Maxmach...I have been on this forum for a while and do not recall anybody addressing the MiniMax battery battery upgrade as regards placing the battery package on a rear attached cargo carrier. Most of the discussions relate to tounge placement and weight issues. Maybe you can be the first =)
  • WranglerRubiconWranglerRubicon Posts: 88Member ✭✭
    Do you have a gas furnace? Is so, you are only looking at running the fan on the battery, so this is realistic to do depending on the outside air temperature. I am no expert, but if you are thinking an electric heater, you should look into the required amp/hours. A small electric heater of say 500 watts, requires 41 amps at 12 volts. If you battery has 200 amp/hrs, you can only run 5 hours max. With two of them, you could theoretically go all night, but have dead batteries in the morning. 500 watts is a very small heater.
    Disclaimer: none of this is from experience, so others here may have much better info. Also if you have the gas furnace, it is irrelevant.

• Bill_in_TulsaBill_in_Tulsa Posts: 256Member ✭✭
    maxmach said:
    I am finding the mini max battery is limited in capacity, especially for heating at night.  An acquaintance, suggested two 6 volt golf cart batteries wired in series.  These are quite heavy at 60lbs each, so leery about adding120lbs to the mini's front tongue.  So, tentatively, planning on mounting them on a cargo carrier on the rear trailer hitch (placarded @ 175lbs max).  I searched the forum and could not find any info on mounting locations or the electrical tie-in used for the mini (assuming front tongue additions tie-in to the original battery).  IF you added batteries on the mini, please share where you mounted them and where you tied them in to the electrical system.  Thanks folks.

You do not want to place these 2 - 6 volt batteries on the rear of the trailer unless you want your trailer to sway very badly .  You can put them on the tongue.
    I have 2 6v 225ah batteries on the tongue of my Silver Shadow and have no problems. I do have my spare under the back of my SS. I also use 4 sand bags to anchor my awning. I stow them on the back inside the galley floor. Be very careful of you weight. always want the tongue not to be to light or sway come in.

Good points.  Weight and balance is critical.  Manual recommends a tongue weight between 10% to 15% of the total weight.  120 lbs worth of batteries on the tongue might exceed the 15%.  Will be doing weight and balance calculations to see where we stand on tongue vs. rear.
  • Bill_in_TulsaBill_in_Tulsa Posts: 256Member ✭✭
    I am pretty sure you do not want those battery in the back... Just saying...

edited November 2018
    I have the original battery that came with my SS mounted on the tounge and two 6V batteries in a cargo box on the tounge. The SS is rated at 1008 lbs dry from the factory. I offset the battery weight by loading my camping stuff in the SS slightly behind and over the axle as well as inside the galley. This works great for me and allows me to stay within the 15% range. Towing is smooth and without trouble. I would think that the weight of the minimax along with careful loading would easily get you to the desired tounge weight range with front mounted sixes.
  • JeepCamperJeepCamper Posts: 53Member
    If you are concern about tongue weight, you can get a Weight Distribution set up with swap bar.  I am getting ready to add one to my set up so I can put the bikes on the front tongue.    

As far as a battery I am going to upgrade from a 24 (when the 24 reaches it's lifespan) to a group 27 since the Solar is more then enough to keep my battery charged.  The heat, frig and hot water can run on propane.  Very nice setup for dry camping.,
  • SparrowhawkSparrowhawk Posts: 12Member
    I'm not sure if you have the solar charger but it mostly will keep up with the draw of running the furnace.  The solar system is capable of adding a second 100 W panel.  Another option is hooking up your vehicle and letting it idle for 15 minutes or so to charge the battery.  Option 3 is a small generator for the times of year when you're running the furnace a lot.  Under $1,000 and around 30 pounds.
    Finally put this to bed.  Had dealer add second 80 amp-hour battery next to the original.  They had to turn the original sideways and put the second next to it.  It all fit.  Welding required.  Has kept furnace cycling just fine throughout the night with ambient temp around 40F
  • BigALBigAL Posts: 3Member
    I just bought a mini max yesterday and I am beefing up what I see as needed to do back country camping, that said I added a Costco interstate ( I already had it) battery size 27DC to the Mighty Bruin 24T85 ( connected them poss & poss, neg. & neg). I took out the plastic all weather box that the mighty bruin came in. I added a 3/4" plywood between the cross members  (20" x 8"plywood). This created a platform for the two batteries to sit on. Both batteries did not fit the 20" plus that I had so I put the larger interstate parallel with the cross members and the mighty bruin sideways. I strapped them done with metal plumbers strap using a 1/4" 3" bolt to tighten it down so going over rough terrain. Kinda new at this and my research showed that the 100w solar panel and these batteries should do run most stuff with good sunshine. What I have read is the battery is always going to be the issue for power. The 100w is ok for starters, there are a lot of blogs on what size battery vs use and solar panel. no need for 6V, start with less expensive buy anywhere 12V deep cell battery and move on to the really expensive batteries as you go.