Rain coming in the refrigerator vents while driving?

SparrowhawkSparrowhawk Posts: 12Member
After driving through a heavy rain we had water running out from under the cabinet around the fridge.  I assume rain was getting past the vent covers during the heavy storm at 70 mph.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• marvfennermarvfenner Posts: 7Member
    Not exactly that, but I have managed to produce water under the same cabinet by getting carried away with the garden hose near those same vent covers - twice (oops). Have not yet towed the trailer through a rain storm, so thanks for the heads up. I was thinking about stuffing rags in the vent openings during a wash, but that's not workable for a moving trailer, I don't think. Hmmm...
  • friofreddyfriofreddy Posts: 2Member
    Sparrowhawk-. 
    Recently pulled our Mini Max through several hours of rain, resulting in dirty water coming out from under cabinetry on driver's side. Examined wall-to-roof/front joints for sealant failure, no problems there, front window had no apparent leakage. Found small round sleeve/collar under trailer below refrigerator, with mesh screen stapled over opening. I suspect that road spray from tires of tow vehicle was drawn into this opening by negative pressure dynamics while towing. Gorilla taped it, drove through rain (tires making lots of spray) for another 120 miles and voila, no more water in the floor.
  • friofreddyfriofreddy Posts: 2Member
    Sparrowhawk-
    Neglected to say- our trailer had sat on our driveway through numerous heavy rains of extended duration with no leaks, previous to taking it on the road in the rain, so there were obviously no upper area problems.
  • SparrowhawkSparrowhawk Posts: 12Member
    Thanks for the tip about the screen under the trailer.  I'll check it out.
  • MelanieMelanie Posts: 4Member
    this just happened to us.. flooded our whole trailer. water came in lower fridge vent. whole
    area was wet. water came in door threshold as well as the tank holes drilled through the floor were not filled in. the biggest one being the black tank pipe hole. Was an inch wide gap that all the grimey road water sprayed up into. we spent two days drying the trailer out.. now we are towing it to the dealer tomorrow.. and more rain tonight and noticed a leak in the rear window. i am beginning to regret buying this lemon. the fresh water tank hole among others under the bench are open go the ground. :( 
  • BigALBigAL Posts: 5Member
    you guys are making me nervous! I just bought my Mini max a few weeks ago and having been modifying a few things. The caulking over the whole unit is sub-par! I re-caulked many areas before my big trip in a few days. I had also needed to get some 12v wiring plumbed through and needed to take off the Refer air vents to access some wiring. They are easy to remove but when I looked in the wood paneling they used for guards were on the ground. Not very good craftsmanship! back to the refer air vents, you could put some heavy screen on the inside of the vents which might help reduce the quantity of water coming in. I will see what I can do and report back if it helps
  • MelanieMelanie Posts: 4Member
    BigAL said:
    you guys are making me nervous! I just bought my Mini max a few weeks ago and having been modifying a few things. The caulking over the whole unit is sub-par! I re-caulked many areas before my big trip in a few days. I had also needed to get some 12v wiring plumbed through and needed to take off the Refer air vents to access some wiring. They are easy to remove but when I looked in the wood paneling they used for guards were on the ground. Not very good craftsmanship! back to the refer air vents, you could put some heavy screen on the inside of the vents which might help reduce the quantity of water coming in. I will see what I can do and report back if it helps
    So now that my old Mini has been replaced with a new unit, I will add the original one did not have the ‘wet’ are sealed to funnel road spray down the drain in the compartment. I went the extra mile and got more expanding foam and sealed all edges and crevices so that the water could no run down the walls Into the space below. Also my advice: go under your trailer and make sure EVERYTHING  is sealed. All pipe inlets! Check the top of your water tank. Make sure the foam gasket is complete and seated to seal that hole. Make sure the gasket under your door is complete and seated properly. Best to darken inside and check for daylight. That’s just some of the areas that needed attention on both of my minis. Also the cargo door.. that is just a mess. I have tried everything but it still leaks through the hinge when driving. Just installed a much larger seal gasket... maybe that will help... fingers crossed
  • JeepCamperJeepCamper Posts: 56Member
    I have a Mini, no major leaks, never driven in heavy rain.  

I did find the seam tape in the cargo area coming loose after reading another owner post this is a leak area.  I went under the trailer and seal from the outside. and ran some flex tape for extra protection after I notice I still had some day light coming in that area.  I will redo that area with some good bonding seal tape this fall when I have some down time.  

You do need to inspect all the caulking.  I am just re-seal the external items, the speakers, power receptible, lights and etc.  The silicone sealant does not last long, and rubs off easy after a year.  The next time re-caulk I will use Proflex.  I read Proflex will last a whole lot longer then silicone.  

Treat it like a boat, inspect before and after every trip.  

Thinking about putting mud flaps behind the Mini wheels, wondering if this help with the water spray.
  • BigALBigAL Posts: 5Member
    I put some mud flaps on myself, 18" long and 12" wide. installed them about 6" from the ground and 1 1/2" to the outside of the fender/plastic thing. Just got back from a 2000 mi. trip through Colorado       (from TX), when down lots of forestry roads and I think they helped with the gravel being kicked up.  
    I agree on caulking, whoever did my mini must have been to Colorado for something other than vacationing :). I re caulked inside and out on many things because they just did not do a very good job.  My only re concern is my refer did not have a consistent temp!