Solution for preventing Door Windows from smacking Adjacent Window

bobshroyerbobshroyer Posts: 20Member
I had been playing with a rigid structure solution on how to prevent the door from getting blown against the open window in the dinette area. But then after using 1/2" pipe insulation for the drawers, I thought it might work well for the window issue as well. It does, You cut a length of Gray/black pipe insulation for 1/2" pipe to length for the side of the dinette window. It already comes with a slit in it that just needs to be fully opened with a utility knife. Then you insert the open slit over the edge of the plastic. You remove this part when closing the window of course. Now when the door gets blown by the wind it is gently cushioned by the foam on the edge of the other window. I realize that new production has or should have a clamp or clip system but my 2019 does not.

By the way, I have white tape on the corners of the windows so I can see the edge when walking around outside the rig.

You can also use this pipe insulation to run between the drawer handles which adds more resistance to open during travel.
Lastly, I installed baby protective edging along all of the edges of the shelves and cabinets to protect my head. I am 6' tall and I was always hitting my head when bending over until I padded these edges (plus I learned where these edges were over time). I also put plastic caps on the bottom section of the handle extensions  which can really give you a nasty cut in your head as well.
Now my LGM is safe for an old guy like me!

Comments

• TomDTomD Posts: 75Moderator mod
    Bobshroyer...I love the pipe insulation you are mentioning. I use it to secure wine glasses during transit and then place them on the galley hatch’s to protect my head from banging them. I’m 6’2” and head banging is a constant. I also use them to protect my Cottonwood Awning from getting chafed by the corners of the galley. Recommended addition for all. Thanks for the post.
  • gr8campngr8campn Posts: 16Member
    Wonder if those swim noodles split along one side would work? Find something in a neon color so that it stands out, even in the dark.

I've seen a lot of big rigs with slide outs using them on the lower edges of the slide outs and sharp 90° corners using them to prevent serious injury and to forewarn.
  • bobshroyerbobshroyer Posts: 20Member
    Thanks folks. My first week or 2 of LGM ownership left me with cuts and bruises on my bald head. Whether it was outside running into an open window edge or inside and lowering and then raising my head underneath a shelf or cabinet. My head was always in bandages! Shorter people don't have to worry about these things but 5-10 and above do. Liberty Outdoors or the new buyer I should say needs to have a positive latch mechanism to latch the door open to solve the door and wind problem. By the way, those black rubber caps that I have on the vertical handles have also saved my head. I use these in my business. I could probably make a bundle selling these in packs of x qty!

• TomDTomD Posts: 75Moderator mod
    Swim noodles work fine when split. Tennis balls are another fine item for corners and galley latches. 
  • MambomiMambomi Posts: 5Member
    Thanks folks. My first week or 2 of LGM ownership left me with cuts and bruises on my bald head. Whether it was outside running into an open window edge or inside and lowering and then raising my head underneath a shelf or cabinet. My head was always in bandages! Shorter people don't have to worry about these things but 5-10 and above do. Liberty Outdoors or the new buyer I should say needs to have a positive latch mechanism to latch the door open to solve the door and wind problem. By the way, those black rubber caps that I have on the vertical handles have also saved my head. I use these in my business. I could probably make a bundle selling these in packs of x qty!

I’m 5’-8” and banged my head so many times against the cabinetry in the 8 weeks I spent in my LGM, the first time I got close to civilization I bought foam edging so I could stop cracking my bald head open!  It was happening about every other day.