2013 Silver Shadow Problems with Taillights

Greetings ... New to this forum and new to "teardropping". My wife and I just purchased a 2013 Silver Shadow and I am having some difficulties with the taillights ... actually, a lot of difficulties and I am getting pretty frustrated trying to figure out what's going on.  When plugged in to the 7 pin connector the side and marker lights come on nice and bright when I turn on the car lights.  However, only 2-3 bulbs of the taillights (they are the 10 bulb multi-function LED bar lights) come on VERY dimly on the left side, nothing on the right side and neither turn signals work and the brake lights don't come on.  I know everything from the car plug coming into the junction box works (have checked all the connections on the car and wiring harness with a voltmeter).  I would appreciate any ideas and suggestions on what the problem might be and/or how to check the wiring from the junction box to the taillights.  Thanks so much for your thoughts and time.  

Comments

• ShearwaterShearwater Posts: 92Member ✭✭
    You might also join the Silver Shadow Facebook group and ask for help there.  Silver Shadows seemed to have evolved quite a bit over their production run.  That group is fairly active and seems to cover the entire production run.
  • Highland_BradHighland_Brad Posts: 3Member
    You might also join the Silver Shadow Facebook group and ask for help there.  Silver Shadows seemed to have evolved quite a bit over their production run.  That group is fairly active and seems to cover the entire production run.
    Thanks for the suggestion, Shearwater.

• TeardropTeardrop Posts: 29Member
    I had the same issue with my 2013 LG.  Probably all the same frustrations. On an LED strip, each bulb isn’t replaceable to my knowledge.  I ended up replacing the LED strip.  I couldn’t find the exact same one, so I had to replace both tail lights so they would match.  You have to take off one of the tail lights and measure the existing holes and get an LED strip to match.  I was against drilling additional holes, so I went that route.  

• LuckyJLuckyJ Posts: 90Member
    I would teat the ground and also junction between maine wire to the tail lights.

Mnufcturer of the LG trailer and Nucamp, were using some guillotine like connectors to make junction between wires for the inside.  Maybe they also did a bad job on the light wires.  A led diode if burn, will not light at all. If connection is bad, (bad power or bad ground) them it will do like you said.
  • Highland_BradHighland_Brad Posts: 3Member
    Thanks, LuckyJ.  I'm thinking it is a bad ground.  Any idea how they made the ground?  Is it just grounded to the trailer frame?  
  • LuckyJLuckyJ Posts: 90Member
    Thanks, LuckyJ.  I'm thinking it is a bad ground.  Any idea how they made the ground?  Is it just grounded to the trailer frame?  
    Sorry, just go back here.

Do not know how the ground is connected, but I would run it as a wire from the triler plugs to every locati9n you nee it.  And make sure that all exposed wires is solderd and use heatshrink tubing with glue as sealed wheater protection.