Sink and hot water

Hi,
We are looking to purchase a SS 6 x 10, but are wondering how useful the sink is without hot water. 
What do you use the sink for?
Has anyone installed a tankless hot water heater for washing dishes?

Thanks,
Karen

Comments

• GregorioGregorio Member Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the sink but use it for brushing teeth, rinsing dishes, etc.  When I need hot water I put a pot on either my burner or on my propane campfire.  I do this first thing in the morning to have enough hot water for washing up as well as dishes.  I, personally, have no need for a hot water heater.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a sink in my LG, but I do in the SideKick standie.  I've used it for brushing my teeth, and that's about all. It's too much of a hassle, to me, to hook up the drain hose under the travel trailer, along with the collapsible 5 gal jug to collect the gray water, and then to find a "proper" disposal place.

I bought a collapsible dish sink from Camping World ("smashes" down to about 1" tall), but I have yet to use it.  This is perfect for me, especially since I don't really want to wash dishes in the rear of the LG.  I have a table that I use for cooking and washing--keeps the rear of the LG cleaner and free of accidental spills.

My water heater, when I have shore power, looks like a coffee pot, but doesn't have the coffee making "guts".  It provides plenty of steaming hot water to wash dishes.  And, it heats quick enough that I don't run out of hot water.  If you find you need a lot of hot water when you're camping, try to find a 32 cup coffee maker with a spigot.  They're marvelous for heating water for whatever you need.  They can be found used at Goodwill stores, or at stores in your area that have used kitchen "stuff".

If I don't have shore power, I just put a sauce pan on the propane stove to heat water. 

• deceiverdeceiver Member Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a sink but I do have basins in the galley. Hot water isn't really something we've really needed. We manage without it and I won't use gas just to heat some to wash dishes. 
  • Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭
    I use my sink mostly for brushing my teeth and washing face and hands. The water is ambient temp, so it isn't "cold" unless the weather is cold. I bought a tankless water heater, but it is really too big for me to want to install. I use a tea kettle for heating water, either on the stove or over the fire. That said, I find the unheated water fine for washing up. I only heat water for washing dishes. I use a dish pan under the trailer to catch the grey water. I am someone who would definitely recommend the sink if you are so-inclined. However, opinions vary. Lisa