windscreen for stove

gsdog2gsdog2 Posts: 106Member ✭✭
So my SS didn't come with a windscreen for the stove...aaaannooyyingg.
What to do? Make one. Here is my fabbed up version. Turned out OK,
Somewhat complex for what it is.

Comments

• deceiverdeceiver Posts: 1,192Member ✭✭✭
    Professional work! A good wind screen can really help speed up supper on a breezy day. On a really windy day without a windscreen it's almost impossible to finish making dinner.
  • Lisa33Lisa33 Posts: 1,781Member ✭✭✭✭
    Looks great! Interestingly enough, I never ever had a problem without a windscreen, and I used my stove a lot.
  • deceiverdeceiver Posts: 1,192Member ✭✭✭
    Lisa, I'll bet the water boils with you just standing next to it.  ;-)
    You may be on to something, Dan. Snapped bike rack, bent trailer tongue, strange electrical problems, rear hatch flying open.... Perhaps I lingered a tad too long in Area 51? Here's hoping my cursed energy has worn off by now. ;)
  • gsdog2gsdog2 Posts: 106Member ✭✭
    Thanks.....most our camping in SoCal is in the deserts where that darn wind
    Always wants to kick up in the late afternoon. Rain is generally never a problem.
  • snowfansnowfan Posts: 54Member
    I'll be talking to my companies sheet metal vendor about making me one of these. Very nice.
  • JustJohnJustJohn Posts: 106Member
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 8,776Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice mod work GSDog and even paw prints on the sidewalls!  How cool is THAT!!!   ^:)^

I do know that some of the prior SS units came with aluminum wind walls (Verna's unit has a stove wind wall unit), but cannot tell you why or when these were eliminated?

I like that chopping block too, is that a stock piece on the Limited Edition trailer?  Very cool looking for sure!  
    Thanks, yeah I noticed some stoves came with the windscreen, mine didn't. Maybe they changed manufacturers. I made the drawer table, I really like the added table top space. I made a few different versions which should fit this size drawer; assuming LG was using a jig to build their drawers, which it looks like. The others are for sale since I dint need all of them...ha.
    I think they still have that stove. The glass top stove was an option used on request and in the Limited Edition. The reason I didn't want the wind screen stove is that it was pretty precarious. One bump and the whole thing could come crashing down in the middle of cooking on it.
    Yeah, I don't recall how there's is attached. I have mine screwed into the sides when in operation so its pretty secure. I wish it could fit into the drawer with the stove when closed, but it doesn't.
  • JoeBJoeB Posts: 6Member
    edited August 2016
    Here's something simple I put together. It's made out of wood. I'll test it out this weekend. 

• WildcatWildcat Posts: 643Member ✭✭✭
    Old thread, but how did this work for you, @JoeB?  I don't want something this heavy and tall, i don't think.  I went to see the eclipse, gone five days, but the wind blew rather hard for nearly the whole time, couldn't get water to boil much less cook anything.   I had a camp stove and cooked on it in the morning before the wind commenced. I see the metal wind screens on Amazon, but I'll bet they would scratch the surface in the galley.  
    Yes, I've seen all those and commented myself on them.  I haven't seen just the right thing yet, to use in the galley.  I was asking JoeB about his because I don't think he reported back on how well it worked, unless I missed something. 
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 8,776Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Okay, good luck!  
  • WilliamAWilliamA Posts: 224Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    A seriously nice piece of work!  A great mix of materials for aesthetic and functional purposes.  I've yet to have trouble with my Outback stove in the wind but had the dickens of a time with my LG stove.  I solved it "field repair" style by cutting the bottom out of a coffee can and dropping it down over my coffee pot.  That worked but had obvious disadvantages.  For users of the one lb cylinders, keep in mind that the cold means much less gas pressure as well.I had that problem in Moab as well as high wind.  Solved by turning the trailer head to the "perpetual wind vortex of Satan" and deploying said coffee can field repair.  Almost had to abandon the mission for lack of coffee!  We old retired army rats and persistent camping wonks can survive most of what the capricious camping God's spoon down upon us but, No coffee? Let's be serious now.  That's just uncivilized....
    edited August 2017
    I may be uncivilized because I never liked coffee.  And it saves me space.  But I do have a decent Camp Chef grill/stove which has wind breaks on three sides.  It is good for leaving set up a while, but I do short stays, and dislike taking gobs of stuff to be in the way.  I was dealing with serious wind for the eclipse trip, so used the Camp Chef before the winds came up so bad.  I already have the Coleman Fold n Go, so I'll get some folding wind screens for that, as I don't cook messy stuff in the galley.  I can live without the grill at times.  I also do a lot of little trips up and down the coast, usually windy also, so I'd like to have something that will work in the galley that doesn't take up space.  I might put down some shelf stuff to use the aluminum things on so as not to scratch up the paint in the galley.  I will see how that works, but it might not be tall enough or stable enough.  The wind I get into may blow the folding aluminum things over, even though I try not to camp in hurricane conditions.
    I just got one of those also.  So, I hope the wind doesn't blow it over.  I really could have used it last summer, and it's often windy at the coast.