Hidden Fan Wiring

Hi all. I'm a happy new owner of a well preserved 2004 Deluxe (which appears to be a predecessor of the current Rascal). 

While changing the vent cover I noticed a pair of wires tucked away behind the collar for a powered vent but can't find where they end up. There are no junction boxes anywhere, and I can only assume the factory terminated the unused wires in the vicinity of where a converter/battery would go (in the cabinet area). But there's nothing visible anywhere. I sent an inquiry to LittleGuy but they didn't bother to respond.

I'm waiting for parts to begin installing an AC/DC system, and while I hadn't intended to put in a powered vent fan.....if the wiring is there I just might. 

Does anyone have any idea where the "other end" of those wires might be?

ED

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was told those wires should be under the frame, possibly near the front left corner (driver's side), where the factory would "normally" put a battery.  Use a flashlight and look under the frame.  It's even better if you have, or can borrow, a mechanic's creeper.
  • eddenedden Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the suggestion Verna, but I've been under the trailer several times looking for those wires and nada. I also closely inspected the tongue and all through the interior including inside the cabinets but haven't found a clue. They're probably coiled up behind a sidewall somewhere (?).
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's OK, Edden.  I couldn't find any under my 4-wide when I had it.  I never did look for the wiring in the ceiling either.  I just put an adjustable curtain rod across the inside, under the vent, hooked an O2 fan over it, and I could either exhaust or intake the air.  It worked for me.
    Yeah I'm thinking of something similar. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    There is a black a junction box under the trailer and mounted to the frame (driver's side front) at the front of the trailer or just beneath the head of the cabin area bed.  If you follow your trailer wiring harness wiring back from the tongue of the trailer, this wiring enters the junction box at that point.  Two screws can be removed and your overhead fan wiring should be inside the box as Little guy has wired the majority of their units this way and for future Fantastic Fan installations.  I have had two Little Guys, a 4-wide and a 5-wide and both units have the same style junction box where all your lighting wires run into......  Trust me it will be there!    
    Thanks for the input, Mike. But I've been under the trailer numerous times looking for the junction box and couldn't find it. In fact, to give the benefit of the doubt, I just went back outside and examined the entire underneath for the 3rd or 4th time; there is no junction box (there's not much under there - it'd be hard to miss if it were there). This LG is a 2004 model made in Indiana so perhaps they didn't wire them with a junction box back then? Anyhow, if the other end of the fan wires did terminate under the front of the trailer it'd do me little good since I'm building my AC/DC system with the gear & drycell in the cabinet - getting 12 volts to the wires underneath would be more difficult than trying to run a new pair straight from the cabinet to the fan. I surely appreciate your and Verna taking the time to respond, and if I ever find where the other end of those wires are I'll be sure to post it. Thanks again!
  • SusieQSusieQ Member Posts: 1,847
    There is no junction box under my 2005, (frame says 2004,) 4W LG Deluxe.
    Ed,

One thing you can do is to look at my write-up on the Fantastic Fan installation I did as that will give you some tips as to what you can do to gain access and install the fan, etc.  My trailer did not have any hidden wiring inside the vent area so I fished my wiring through the cabin roof area.  

Thanks Mike. That's a great link - I see in a post from you link that danae had a similar issue as mine; 

"The wires on ours besides being stubbed out at the vent ended inside the front wall. We reached them by removing the small piece of interior wall. Really strange, but we have the fan in, two leads and are running power to the kitchen today for leads and to sub in a charging port. So excited!". 

I expect I have a similar setup and feel if I decide to install a fan that fishing my own wire to the cabinet would be the way to go. And your post has some great hints in it about doing just that. I really appreciate the help!
    edited August 2013
    Good deal Ed!  And as I noted in the earlier thread posting, "just be careful when you are drilling back toward the front of the trailer" so that you do not damage the roof.   The clearances are tight, but you can accomplish what I did and the only thing you'll need is a little bit of determination and wherewithal because fishing the wire back through is frustrating, takes some time and bottom line here, you can do it!

Let me know how things go and if you have time, take a few photographs so that others can benefit from your project and experiences.  
  • HawkeyeHawkeye Member Posts: 1
    edited March 23