Antennae Hookup on my 5-wide

Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2013 in Conversions & Upgrades
I have been thinking about this a while and it's surprising how a good plan comes together with some patience.   I have had a TV/DVD player in my 5-wide since day one and also had installed a cable TV plate in the bottom rear corner of my trailer for use in RV parks or wherever cable TV was available.  I will admit that this has come in handy and been of value when I have been lucky enough to have cable TV.  I look at TV as more of a diversion when I am traveling as I prefer watching wildlife and looking off the tops of mountains as opposed to being a couch potato or staying glued to the TV.  But after thinking about this, seeing some set-ups here on the forum (thanks Verna!) and seeing John's set-up out in Cottonwood I bit the bullet and have purchased an antennae so that I can catch some news and get full use out of my TV/DVD.  

I had thought about the suction cups (purchased for around $6.50 at harbor Freight) and watched Mike Hefner working with his tarp/canopy set-up and then Verna, using the suction cups so that is the way I went.  I have always been leery of drilling holes in these units as I like a stock and clean look and have shied away from putting any unnecessary holes in my trailer.  With this installation I did find that the suction cups would not accept the extendable paint pole I purchased yesterday at Home Depot, so I ended up grinding down some of the plastic handle in order to get the end of the pole through both suction cup holders.  A small, circular grinding head on my battery powered drill did the trick and things shaped up nicely and I was in business!   As Susie noted, stay off the trailer graphics with these suction cups as you could distort them easily I believe.  

Note:  If you are considering such an installation, keep in mind that you want to place it in a location that will not interfere with a screen room, canopy, rain-fly or any other item used with your trailer.  This is important especially if you are going to drill holes for coaxial cable and cable TV plates.   You can find the cable TV connection plates (shown below) on places like EBay or RV suppliers.  

The antennae is the RCA model (Walmart - $40) and mounts easily to the top of the extendable pole.  I drilled a small hole through the mount so that could use a tie strap and keep the coaxial cable snug near the top, along with a small drip loop for added measure.  This antennae has a small power converter to evidently power up the antennae, along with a coax adapter that easily attaches into the antennae port behind the TV.  I had to think about it a second as I missed the instruction manual that was conveniently hiding inside the box!  Okay, I AM one of them guys who just dives into things, begins assembly and has things together without first reading the instructions.  Hey, it was only a TV antennae , right!?  :))

These antennae's are nice and I was able to pull in over 35 channels with my trailer sitting just outside the door of my garage.   I was impressed and obviously your reception is going to vary depending on your location, line of site with local transmitters and elevation.   I'm actually thinking about buying another antennae for my home and the two bedrooms that do not have cable boxes.  That way my company can catch some channels if need be.....  And the last shot below shows my installation.   I know it means more gear to carry around, but it's small enough that I can stick it in my equinox or even in my trailer while traveling.   

imageimage

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good illustration, Mike!!  I'll stick with my 8' pole for right now.  If I find I'm not getting enough channels on those rainy and cool evenings, then I'll get a taller pole.

Did you notice the antenna mounted on the cedar siding of the house?  They used the U bolts......I wonder why they didn't just use screws.  Oh well, it's just for illustration, and only a former telephone installer would notice, right????

• SusieQSusieQ Member Posts: 1,847
    I know it's here somewhere in another thread, but where did you get the outside cover and cable connection?  I looked at Lowe's yesterday but didn't see anything that I thought would do for me.
  • MikeHefnerMikeHefner Member Posts: 188
    Mike,  I commend you!  I tried that antennae without any success in the house.  Who knows what I did wrong? I like your hook up!!!!  Very ingenious!  For now, I will start with the laptop/DVDs and AM/FM radio.   
  • MikeHefnerMikeHefner Member Posts: 188
    PS... I also thought it might be preferable to drill a hole in the bottom of the floor and bring in a connection?  However, I think the easiest may be to simply open the galley hatch, then  the galley door, then the cabin door, and connect whatever external antennae, etc you  use?  Just saying!
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013

Mike Hefner, as far as water penetration, I would think you would be better off drilling through the sides of your 5 wide and into the cabin cabinets for the coax inlet.  Just fill the hole thoroughly with silicon caulk, fill the screw holes from the inlet with the silicon, and make sure you put plenty under the connection.  Then, make it pretty and smooth out the silicon around the connection. 

If you take Little Guy's lead, all of their inlet connections are on the side of their LG's and the [email protected]'s, not through the floor....except the water drains.  

Of course, this is just my opinion.

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Ramona - You can buy the cable TV plate on Ebay - Cable TV Plate

Mike Hefner -  I removed the tail light, drilled through the rear corner and then entered the cabin area below the low area in the cabin, then up into the cabinet.   You really don't notice the cable, nor do you see it.   

Verna -  Good eye on the side mounted house antennae.  Who knows why someone would cheese up the side of their house with that installation?   But I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder as whoever did it probably thinks it looks cool.   ;))
  • TomTom Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭

Mike,

Although someone else came up with the idea of using the suction cups and a painter's pole for their TV antenna, your presentation caused me to run out and get the parts last night.  I'll be trying it out next week. 

Like others I was reluctant to drill holes  in the LG so for months I've been using a flat TV cable connector I purchased at Camping World.  Using it I was able to run the cable out through the hatch with it closed and it did nod make an impression in the gasket. Recently I did buy a connector (Amazon.com) and mounted on the side wall.  

Tom 

We will be checking it out soon Tom, see you tomorrow in Ohio!   :D
  • PCKarlPCKarl Member Posts: 211
    Verna/Mike - Betcha that home siding installation with those weird U bolts is just photoshopped... B-)
  • SusieQSusieQ Member Posts: 1,847
    I know why they used the U-bolts.  I still have my hardware in the package and they just used what it came with.  Either they didn't want to buy something else or they didn't give it any thought!
    Hey Karl!

I think that antennae hook-up is on the house of one of those guys from Duck Dynasty!!!  You know who I'm talking about!!!  =))

• Time_Out1Time_Out1 Member Posts: 473
    edited September 2013
    Hey! Quit picking on my Uncle Cy [-X !!
  • davidpdavidp Member Posts: 37
    hey, what kind of box is that you have on the front. I want to put one on mine... this little thing that came with it is not big enough  could you take some pics of it and demensions
    I can do better than that David - Toolbox Information
  • PCKarlPCKarl Member Posts: 211
    If you buy a Tradesman go to the Tradesman web site first and get the exact model # you want and then shop.  There are significant, but subtle differences between the models.  When I shopped on Amazon the published dimensions were listed incorrectly for the model # I wanted.  The Tradesman web site was correct. http://www.tradesmantruck.com/catalog/aluminum/flush-mount-boxes/