Show us your Silver Shadow!

Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
Since we do have a discussion revolving around the Rough-Rider model I figured it was time to start a discussion on Silver Shadow, especially since I just picked mine up this week in Massillon at Little Guy World Wide.  I would really be interested in seeing what you folks have done to your trailers both inside and out to "make them your own."  So please DO share some photos and some of your own personal "tips& tricks" as to how you use your trailer, some of the ways you have modified or converted it to "personalize and make it your own" as this guy has many questions and the curiosity has kicked in.  Obviously everyone has their own way to do the above, but what have you learned as well along the trail, pulling the trailer and what do consider the "essentials" you need away from home.  Post up as many photos as you like and lets share some thoughts and ideas here....  Thanks!  

Comments

• VernaVerna Member Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do not try to get into your underbed storage with the cup holder in the down position.  Camping World has black replacement cup holders.....

Be careful with the height of anything you put on your top shelf in the galley, Mike.  The birch plywood on the underneath of the hatch is only 1/8" thick.  The voice of experience says that a well-placed state park sticker will hide the indention in the wood.

Nothing moves on the top shelf if you keep everything tight in place.  I keep my wine glasses there, wrapped in microfiber wash cloths that double as dish drying towels.

Just as with your 5-wide, don't expect anything to stay in place on the counter in the galley, but also, be really careful about the height of whatever you put there.  I lost a brand new wine glass that was too tall to be placed in front of the converter.

Walmart, Target or Amazon and other places have over-the-cabinet-door towel holders.  They work great.  They also have over-the-cabinet-door paper towel holders that will stay in place on the front of your top shelf in the galley.

When putting your mattress in the cabin, be really careful so you don't scratch your wood interior, especially the shelves on either side of the A/C.  I need to take lemon oil over all of the wood and that will help cover up some of the small scratches that are inevitable.

Office supply stores have desk organizers that can be used on your headboard to help organize your stuff--bear spray, bug spray, flashlights, headlamps, doggie bags, pens, pencils, note pads, etc.

For your TV mount, the vertical supports that are on each side of the A/C unit are sturdy enough to hold the TV and it's mount. 

I've never used the rear stabilizers, by  the way. The SS has never been in a site so uneven that I felt they were necessary.  I do need to remember to put some oil on them so they don't rust in place!!!

RV Wash and Wax from Walmart in the RV section cleans up the aluminum really nicely.  Then a quick coat of spray-on Turtle Wax rubbed out and she shines. 

I do need to sit down and do some work on the fenders.  Bugs and rock dings show up on the black.  Think about investing in some of those clear plastic protectors that are used on cars.  I need to invest in some.

Watch your back with the extra weight of the SS over your 5-wide.  I could move the 4-wide without a problem.  I cannot move the SS without the trailer dolly, and I'm getting a lot better with that tool.

The only other thing I can think of and I don't have a picture.  I put a "key holder" about 10" above each cup holder.  The key holder is about 8" long and has 4 short metal pegs to hang your keys or flashlights from.  It is the best thing to help me find my keys in the middle of the night!!!  If you really need a picture, I'll get one later.

Oh yeah....HAVE FUN!!!!

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, some great tips Verna, THANKS!   

I would like to see some interiors of people's shadows, TV mounts, how people store things and am also wondering if upon arrival at the camp site whether stuff has bounced out of the shelves and is spread around in the cabin area of your trailers?   :D

Storage advice and photos are ALL appreciated and these are the kinds of tips that are going to go out in time and help other newbies like myself.  :-B
  • JustJohnJustJohn Member Posts: 106
    edited November 2013
    Here is the interior of mine, WARNING !!! Not edited currently in the 340 north campground north of Waynesboro Va. Temps are in the 30's, ( heat plant first) small fan keeps temps. uniform. TV antenna mounted to left cabinet door allow a 180 degree turn when tuning stations, works surprisingly well.
    Sorry for the inverted photos....my bad, John.
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Here you go, John.  I get dizzy standing on my head =))
    Thanks Verna, I'm still learning my way around this I pad.
    You DA Man John!   I was telling my friend Linda about your trailer and how I ended up designing my new trailer and it was via your tips and influence therein!   I saw that quilt inside and the homey affect it made for and I was sold that late day in August down at Atwood Campground in Ohio.   Did someone make the quilt for you?   I like the TV mount too, where did you get the mounting arm for that and the TV?  

Thanks for sharing the photos and all opened up just fine for me here on my PC.

Does anyone know whether they make a storage box "with a top" for silverware, knives, etc.?   If so, please add a link for the distributor.

Thanks!
  • MontanagirlMontanagirl Member Posts: 206
    I thought the same thing about the quilt! I've seen several photos with quilts and they make it so charming.
  • LadyArtistLadyArtist Member Posts: 437
    Mike, I found a silverware sectioned box, and a shallow covered plastic box that it fit inside at Walmart. I put the 2 together and they fit just right. No more knives and forks jumping out! :\">
    Thanks Evelyn, that's what I am looking for.  
  • K9KampGirlK9KampGirl Member Posts: 84
    edited November 2013
    Mike, I have the same type of TV mount. I got it from Amazon for $14.99.  Here is a link to the page:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ID7QNI/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am also attaching a couple of pics of the TV in my LG. I took the cabinet door off and added a piece of plywood.  I haven't missed having a door in that spot since I can access it from the galley.  I originally wanted to mount it in the center of the cabinet but then I wouldn't be able to easily get stuff in and out of that area.  It works GREAT!

You DA Man John!   I was telling my friend Linda about your trailer and how I ended up designing my new trailer and it was via your tips and influence therein!   I saw that quilt inside and the homey affect it made for and I was sold that late day in August down at Atwood Campground in Ohio.   Did someone make the quilt for you?   I like the TV mount too, where did you get the mounting arm for that and the TV?  

Thanks for sharing the photos and all opened up just fine for me here on my PC.

Mike, The quilt was made by a lady who managed one of my offices for many years. She retired eight years ago but remains a close friend, and she sews her quilts completely by hand. The TV mount is From Amazon, and is very sturdy, being rated for 35 lbs. it has no problem with my 4 lb. TV. Cheers, John
    Thanks Rebecca as that is great use of the space inside your trailer and a convenient spot for your TV!

And John, thanks for the note and ideas because your trailer (when I first saw it) is set up nicely and the quilt really makes it homey and complete.  Your galley area sold me as well and just makes so much more sense to me, opens up space and is manageable.  

Thank you both for taking the time to post up your stuff and look forward to future posts from all!  
  • fireflyfirefly Member Posts: 141

I like to try and be neat and organized I found these storage boxes at Michaels that fit perfectly underneath the bed storage compartment I have three of them on one side. I put my tools/kitchen supplies or little trailer stuff that I don't want to see rolling around all over the place (12x12) (36.5cmx 36 cm x8cm)

http://www.irisusainc.com/p-869-sbc-350e.aspx

• NetDepNetDep Member Posts: 125
    edited November 2013
    HA HA!!!

I get to cross post!! It's a Rough Rider, no, it's a Silver Shadow, no, it's both!!

Mike - your trailer really is the coolest!!! So many ideas and good planning went into it - would love to see it sometime!!!

;-) ...sorry, felt a little frisky!!....

I will try to get over to post some pics but I found some cloth "baskets" and Bed Bath & Beyond that fit perfect in the headboard storage for keys, lights, snacks and such!! Also - for a tip I got a metal basket (for like kitchen gadgets in a drawer) and pried the metal screen apart on the bottom - put a couple of suction cups on the bottom and use it for that awkward space above the power box in the galley. It doesn't slide and works great!!
    Good stuff!   I think it's interesting to see how folks set up their trailers.   How much of your gear remains on the shelf in the galley?   Am always wondering about re-distribution of stuff via road bounce and travel.  
  • I realize that I don't have an LG but as far as generic TV mounting goes, I thought others might find my set up a bit different. I wanted a big screen experience so I bought a 32 inch (weighs 10 lbs). I don't like the idea of it bouncing down the road nor the idea of steaming it over my propane stove when I cook (not an issue with you guys I know). So I bought a mount from Monoprice that works for TVs from 17 to 37 inches and the best part is that the TV simply lifts out of the mount and can be removed for secure storage anywhere. It takes a few seconds to remove or install it ... all you do is lift it up or drop it in an easy to access slot on the end of the arm.

Monoprice item number 10464 and $22.80 plus $10 shipping

Here are a couple of shots I took with my iPhone last night.   Just got my new comforter, mattress pad, etc. but am waiting on my microfiber sheets and pillow case covers.  But had to check these items out early as I wanted to see what things would look like.  I'll have to get my wider angle lens out and take a few shots with my Canon 50D when things calm down here weather wise.  Storm system is going to roar through between 4 & 8 pm this evening so we will see what happens.  

• PCKarlPCKarl Member Posts: 211
    Gorgeous and groovy! Love it!
  • K9KampGirlK9KampGirl Member Posts: 84
    I love your comforter and pillows.  Where did you get them?

I ordered that set from Kohl's on-line.   
  • MinelabiowaMinelabiowa Member Posts: 3
    Our 2012 6x10 SS. Towing it with a 2012 Toyota Fj Cruiser.   
  • NetDepNetDep Member Posts: 125
    Minelabiowa -- Great looking campsite!! Awesome FJ and gotta love your sliders & bumper. Bet you get a lot of work out of that combo! 
  • kokomoslowkokomoslow Member Posts: 46
    Well we got a nice day and I thought I would join the SS picture gallery. Just finished the TV jack, vent and Carbon Monoxide alarm. May go with another box on the front as I would like to hide the battery. Then it's time to move the plate to the lid. I'm trying to stay calm, as Judy hasn't worked her magic on the galley.  Hooked up the rca tv mast and tried it out.  Not bad, we live about 30 min. south east of Columbus OHIO.   Got 11 HD stations. Really can't wait to get out and see another camp site besides my garage & drive way.
  • MinelabiowaMinelabiowa Member Posts: 3
    NetDep. Yes we do. We travel all around Iowa,Wisconsin,Illinois.  We are on the road almost every weekend. Very happy with our setup.
  • BlueSchmooBlueSchmoo Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭
    Hello,For SS 6x10, are you all using Cal. King sized quilts etc? I figured for the sheets we would but comforter/quilt Cal. King seems it may be too bulky with nowhere for the extra fabric to over hang like on traditional bed.
  • Raine11937Raine11937 Member Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭
    Hi BlueSchmoo, I am new to this, but I am making my Reversible Stars Quilt to the size of the top of the mattress. The measurement according to my dealer is 70"x78". That is actually a double spread which would hangover on a double bed. My silver shadow will be silver, so my quilt will be silver and a tiny small teal and silver print. I understand it is tough to get around to tuck in all the edges. I haven't figured out the sheets yet! I am not sure how thick the mattress is yet! I can't wait to get mine so I can figure all of this out for myself, but for now, I am counting on the good folks around here, Lynn
  • RchestekRchestek Member Posts: 261
    Hi Schmoo and Lynn, I have a 5x10 Silver Shadow, and I followed some advice I found on this forum and used a queen-sized fitted sheet and 68x86 size blankets/comforters (can't remember if that's full or twin). They fit the queen-sized mattress perfectly and I don't have to worry about struggling to tuck in all that overhang fabric.
    Thanks Rchestek, But your model has a queen bed, our 6x10 mine has a King bed, but since new sheets are designed for such deep mattresses I am going to try both Full and Queen fitted to see what works as for Quilt that will be customer made to match the custom made curtains so no worries there
    The mattress is four inches thick, so we might be able to figure that by adding to the top measurements, however Rchestek says she used a queen size fitted on the Little Guy queen size! I think I am going to wait and try a queen fitted I bought for a new double mattress when the deep sided sheets were hard to find, but I suspect I am going to have to go with a king size fitted and double size top sheet! I made a sleeping bag liner for my popup, which also had these same issues (foam is foam no matter what they put it in). In this way the sheets were where I needed them without having to tuck them, and I just covered with the quilt! Customer made quilt and curtains? Exciting! Have you picked your patterns and colors yet? I am thinking of using denim for the backing. When it is rainy and muddy, I am planning to flip the quilt to a sturdier side so to speak! The dogs bring in alot of dirt. I looked into a more waterproof material, but when you go that route, the machine wash ability decreases! Lynn
    edited January 2014
    We have both queen and full sheets figured I'd try those first, also we plan on getting 4" pillow top/memory foam topperhttp://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/perfect-harmony-mattress-topper-rv-king/70129 And for the fabric, Yes since we are from Santa Fe going with SW pattern, this is a rendering of what it will sort of look like I used the online swatch to design the quilt top, the pattern design will repeat more than shown here, SW fabric in the center Turquoise border, not sure about curtain layout yet
  • CaptKiddCaptKidd Member Posts: 48
    I have an 2011 5X10 Silver Shadow that I have painted to match my 2005 PT Cruiser.
    Show us your Galley, Escpecially interested in hearing from SS owners with Sink, Stove Fridge configurations to see how you have things stored and set up etc. Also if you could provide a list of kitchen necessities you can't live w/o in the SS kitchen it would be wonderful
    ^:)^
  • MaryVanMaryVan Member Posts: 357 ✭✭✭
    Hi CaptKidd,
    Great looking rig.  Love the custom stripe SS and PT. 
    A quick question for you:  How did  you attach the license plate to your galley hatch?  I ordered a small plate (moror cycle size) to replace the poorly placed plate on my 2010 SS that finally was lost on one of my travels.   Most logical place for it would be on the hatch.

• jeepersjeepers Member Posts: 1
    Hey CaptKidd, what size and manufacturer is the tongue box on your SS? Looks great, it appears to be a UWS, 49" wide or a Tall, just not sure which one. Great looking SS by the way. I pick my SS up soon and I am looking for a tongue box.
    BlueSchmoo - I don't mean to sound condescending here, but I think we've touched on this subject already (storage tips and equipping a SS, etc.) and if you look in the "Tips & Tricks" area of the forum you will find some great tips for storage and carrying on-board items for the Little Guys.....  Also, the forum search function box located on the right hand side of the board, below the discussion area listing will ferret out a treasure trove of information if you type in the key word (or item) you need information on. That will save you a lot of time and eliminates a lot of duplication too.   

And depending on how many are traveling with you, your kitchen contents and contents will vary.  Here are some things that make my travel easier and this changes every time I go over my trailer......I carry a few plastic utensils for quick meal stops along the road but also carry silverware for my campsite and I found a plastic silverware tray and small box that will fit inside the drawer. This will keep your silverware intact.

One item I purchased that has been invaluable for the many times I have used and needed it is a small cutting board that takes up little space, but is nice to have when you are prepping food.  

I also carry a few plastic plates for meals and you can also place paper plates on them and have stability.  I have 3 cooking pots and a medium size frying pan too and place dish towels and dish rags between my pans to protect them.  You might look for nesting type accessories too as this will save you space,  

Everyone travels differently and has specific needs so everyone is different.  I also believe that it will take you a few trips out on the road to figure out what works best for you.  

• salt & pepper containers/spices/garlic powder
    • can opener/vegetable slicer/peeler
    • baggies for storage
    • measuring cups or spoons
    • coffee mugs/coffee/filters/pot
    • tea kettle for boiling water
    • small bowls/plates/plastic cups/paper towels
    • aluminum foil/dish soap/dish towel/dish rags/hand soap/blue scrub pad (non-abrasive)
    • small plastic tub for dish/ washing
    • portable water container
    • matches/chip clips
    • spatchella/soup ladle/plastic cooking spoon(s)/cutting knives/steak knifes
    The above is a start and should get you on the right track......  
    Thanks Mike, I totally forget to use the search, but to be honest I was hoping for pictures of setups as well, love to see what others are doing :D
    I'll take some galley shots when I get out on the road and do some serious traveling.  I normally have some snacks out on the counter top and refreshments, etc.  

Another tip and something others have learned is to secure all food well.  I've watched squirrels and chipmunks pilfering food from an open galley and from picnic tables.   We also had a member here on the forum who left food stored inside the screen room in a park and the squirrels chewed a hole through the screen to get to it.  That could be an expensive repair for sure!

Just beautiful, so bright and bold! Are you piecing it? Or is it an entire piece of material that you designed? One question,

What is this online swatch you talk about? I tried to find it but got a lot of watches!

My quilt is simple 4 inch triangles, light and dark colors. Sometimes it looks like a bow tie pattern, alternate colors of bow ties marching up and down, then if you look closely each square is the center of a star, one light and the next dark, thus the name "Reversible Stars"   Our pillow shams are pretty panels of pairs of loons, and I will sew strips of matching fabric from the quilt around the panels, I may match the back with denim again for the rainy, muddy days! 

So we'll look like blue jean denim on the dark days!  All sorts of geometric on the tops and fronts!

Lynn

Capt Kidd, beautiful rig!  Enjoy very much!

Lynn

• CaptKiddCaptKidd Member Posts: 48
    My license plate is attached with double back tape. The box on the front is a UWS 49".  I carry my Honda 2000 generator in it, a 2 1/2 gallon water jug, a 2 1/2 gallon gas can, my collapsing stand for the Coleman lantern and a few other small odds and ends.
    Raine11937, I am not that ambitious it is going to be a solid center (patterned fabric) about 43 x 54 then solid colored borders to make up the rest, the swatch I had originally used was from the store where I bought it, they have all sorts of south west fabrics and they are only 1 hour away so I went there to get it. Here is the scale of the pattern, I fell in love with this online, the website is http://www.swdecoratives.com/proddetail.php?prod=C7510, and I bought some black out fabric to back the curtains with from joann's, now I just need our SS so I can know what size to make the curtains,
    8-| We were hoping to pick it up this weekend but now old man winter decided to show up and drop snow, so it looks like it's going to be next weekend instead, providing it does not snow too much this up coming week, you getting yours around 3rd week Jan. we almost bought 2014 and they said 4-6 week timetable, but then we found dealer with 2013 equipped the way we wanted so we went for it.

BlueSchmoo:

Thanks I will look at it this weekend.  Mine is just sewing one triangle to another, making squares and sewing the squares to other squares.  Takes about an hour to make a block, one block is about 20" by 20".  I should be able to finish by early March when my SS comes in, they told me 6 weeks lead time!

Michigan_Mike gave me the dimensions on the windows somewhere a while ago!  If I can find it, I will let you know!

Lynn

• BeerrunBeerrun Member Posts: 30
    We've had so much fun with this trailer, even when we're taking a ribbing from friends.
    Great shot of the toast!  You should send that photo to Little Guy!  Way cool!   :))

People are jealous of you is all!  :D
    Beer run, How is that side table attached?
  • RahtwareRahtware Member Posts: 399
    And, is that the table that Little Guy sells?

Also loved the "toast" picture.

Larry
  • BeerrunBeerrun Member Posts: 30
    Blue, there's a channel that screws to the trailer and a channel that attaches to the end of the table that interlock. I got the info on where to get it from someone on here that had built some tables for his SS, but I can't seem to find the post. I'll keep looking.
    Larry, it is not. Littleguy wasn't selling them at the time. I thought I'd make a butcher block style top but my wife wanted an retro type Formica top, which I couldn't find without a huge expense, so I found an old kitchen table on CL, ordered the mounting bracket, leg and aluminum trim strip and cut up the table to build my own. It was kinda fun and I think my wife's idea fits the teardrop design.
    My friends were giving me go natured teasing about buying a toaster, so I old man photo shopped a Pic. of the toaster to post for them on facebook.  
    PS. That led to the license plate. 
    This is the discussion you were looking for as I went back and looked in your prior comments via your profile and found the information Jon.

I believe this is the attachment rail you were referring too as well:  Table Support