~ Share your favorite tunes and music with us! ~

Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 8,776Member ✭✭✭✭✭
I am referring to your music preferences as to what you like to listen to when out traveling and at the camp site.   Do you have any favorite CD's that you like and what would you recommend for others, regardless of age, music genre, etc.   Certainly there are generation gaps, we are all different ages, etc. but I have to chuckle because I have two daughters (23 & 26) and they really enjoy my varied musical taste and collection that I have.  Bob Seger is a fav of theirs as are the Doors, etc.   

I will start this discussion off by recommending a new artist I was introduced to by my friend Linda.  The artist's name is Craig Chaquico and am told that he began writing and recording for Jefferson Starship when he was 16 years old.  And after a serious accident at age 12, began honing his skills on the guitar.  The CD recording I am recommending for anyone who enjoys easy listening and along the lines of New Age is called "Acoustic Highway."  This album is very mellow and when I listen to it, it does fill me with a lot of happiness.   I think it's like anything else in that you have to be accustomed to various musical genre's and they do grow on you over time as you can relate to life experiences, where you were when you heard it, who you were with, etc.  It certainly does bring this guy a lot of happiness and pleasure!  Hope some of you get to listen to some of these tracks as they are beautiful and this man is amazing!  

Comments

• GregorioGregorio Posts: 1,931Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW! You're opening up a can of worms here, Mike.  I have found few people that have enjoyed the type of music I regularly listen to.  I'm quite the Blues fan, but even my wife says, "Enough is enough."  Some of my favorite Blues groups and individual performers over the years have been Curtis Salgado & the Stilettos, Too Slim & the Taildraggers, Johnny Nitro & the Doorslammers, Ron Hacker & the Hacksaws, Billy D & the HooDoos, Jimmy Thackery & the Drivers, John Mayall & the Bluesbreakers, Roy Rogers & the Delta Rhythm Kings,; as well as Joe Bonamassa, Marc Broussard, JJ Cale, and Tony Joe White.  
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 8,776Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a set on YouTube just right click on the video body, and select "copy video URL" and paste it back and embed it into the message box so we can all hear it.  No worms here my friend, just sharing a general love of music!  I saw BB King up in Flint about 5 years ago at Whiting Auditorium.   I LOVE the blues!

Check out Marc Broussard if you're not already familiar with him.  Amazing performer...

Here's a little Joe Bonamassa. I'll be seeing him in concert in March here in Spokane.

I'll bet it's a great concert.  Have always wanted to go down to Chicago and attend their blues festival.  Most of the large metropolitan areas have these venues during the summer months and they are classic.  And have wanted to do Mardi Gras too, but with the crazies down on Bourbon Street it might be dicey.  
  • ukrazyukrazy Posts: 315Member
    Before my last camping trip I loaded some of my favorite albums onto my tablet, for camp music. All Hawaiian music.
    I'll bet you had a great time with that too!    I own two of the smaller blue tooth speakers from Radio Shack and have one I leave in the trailer so that I can take it anywhere.  In fact I use both speakers with my iPhone exclusively and the portability of the speakers allows me to have music anywhere I travel or hike to.  Am burning albums right now on ITunes and will be well stocked after the last dual album by The Who.  Yeah, it's been a while and I have more albums than storage space!   :))
    It would be fun to gather up a few interested individuals with LGs who like the Blues and meet up somewhere for a Blues Festival.  There are several up here in the Northwest that are held shortly before and after the dates of the Western Rally next August.  
  • ArizonaOneArizonaOne Posts: 19Member
    edited November 2013

The lovely Mrs. and I enjoy most types of music (except for gangster rap. . . ..sorry, we got to draw the line somewhere).  Favorites are:

Secret Garden, David & Diane Arkenstone, Josh Groban, Jason Mraz, Celtic Woman, Beatles, Eagles, Craig Chaquico (we only have a few of his best tracks), Asha, Café Del Mar, Cirque Du Soleil Soundtracks, Ottmar Liebert, Sting, John Denver (yes, even John!), Classical of all sorts, . . . ..and anything doesn't contain death and destruction in the lyrics.

:)
  • rjneufeldrjneufeld Posts: 10Member

big reason I bought my [email protected] was for deep blues fest, muddy roots, and the like. the [email protected]'s perfect for music fests.

Great idea Greg and at least you wouldn't have to drive far or could catch some rest in the Little Guy or [email protected]   I know that my buddy in Arizona has some of his friends up and these guys camp down by the river a short distance from the concert grounds and walk to the concert.   
  • LadyArtistLadyArtist Posts: 437Member
    Mike, thanks for sharing. Craig Chaquico is new to me, but I definitely like his music. I'll need to add him to my collection. My musical tastes are varied, ranging from classical, opera, new age, r&b, Motown, pretty much any pop of the 50's and 60's. Ukrazy, my oldest brother married a lovely Hawaiian lady and through pualehua, I learned to love just about any type of Hawaiian music. When we were kids, in 20's, she taught me the hula and Hawaiian war dance...great workout for staying in shape...makes for tight abs, right? Alas, now we're in our 70's...that's all lovely memories.LOL! I have quite a collection of American Indian music, several CDs of wolf howls, so mystical and soothing, as well as whale calls and sounds of sea wave and crashing seas. As a lady of Irish decent, I listen to any music Irish or Celtic, especially love Celtic Women and Celtic Thunder. James Galway, David Arkenstone, Windham Hill, Yanni, Josh Groban, Earth Wind and Fire, Earl Kluge, Carlos Santini, classical jazz, modern jazz, the 3 tenors, Luciano Pavorotti. Actually, I think the only music I DON'T listen to is rap, hip-hop, and old style country! Any thing else is open....depending on the mood I'm in! I have a collection of over 400 CDs, all genres. I load up my IPods, plug in to blue tooth connection in my cars, and let them shuffle and play, keep 2 tiny little iPods loaded, ear plus on the ready for hiking or strolls, any time I find myself waiting...out come the iPods! Music fills my life...can't imagine a day without it! :\"> >:) :-*
    Greg, I do love me some "moody blues". B.B. KING is in my collection. I listened to Mark Brousaard...the kid has the blues in him and I like his sound! Thanks for sharing! :x
    I agree, Neil, most of what is produced leaves much to be desired.....hard to call it music! :P
    I think I heard my dad say the same thing about the Beatles when they came out with Sgt. Pepper.
  • VernaVerna Posts: 3,855Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 12 or 13 years ago, Mother and Daddy asked if I had a Pink Floyd CD. Sure, Dark side of the moon. I loaned it to them. A few days later they told me they weren't aware that I listened to music like that. Well, I forgot about the CD. After Daddy passed away this summer, and his widow was getting cleaning out "stuff", my brother asked me if the Pink Floyd CD was mine. Yes, and you know , we never could figure out what prompted Mother and Daddy to ask for it anyway?? I need to add that album to my iPod...it should be good traveling music !!!
    The interesting thing about vinyl is that there are many groups out there today who offer the vinyl records for sale after the concert is over.  I have an extensive collection of vinyl records in storage just under the set of stairs that run up to my bedroom area here in my home.  Back in the day we also purchased plastic storage sleeves to store the albums in and would only play them once and record them to cassette tapes that were in use at the time.  The question I have for folks is this, "are there any decent record players out there right now short of requiring an arm and a leg, or are there some reasonably priced units available that would allow me to play my old vinyl records?'  

And Pink Floyd eh Verna?   I have some stories about Pink Floyd from back in the day that I am obviously NOT going to be sharing here on the forum, even though the statute of limitations is up!  I have some Pink Floyd on my iPhone today!  

Frizzy Hair Smiley  image

Peace out!  
    I found a music stream site for the Craig Chaquico album I noted above, so if you'd like to listen to all of the tracks on this album check this out:  

Craig Chaquico - Acoustic Highway
    My son in  law is a DJ so I'll ask him as he might even have a spare in his basement?   >:)
  • RonNCARonNCA Posts: 170Member
    A much as I love Frank Zappa, his music isn't going camping with me. Chris Botti, Roy Orbison, Ray Price, Peter White, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lyle Lovett, Marty Robbins, Asleep at the Wheel, and maybe the B52s. But on a star filled night with no moon may be a good time for some Chopin nocturnes.

Well, I guess I'll be the odd one here. 

ZZTop is by far my favorite group ever!!!  If things aren't going my way, I just put on one of their CD's or the iPod, and then Life is Good!!! 

I keep the XM radio in the Escape on the 60's for the most part, the 50's sometimes, and the 70's some other times.  The iPod goes about the same.  Some 50's, mostly 60's, some 70's, some 80's.  Mostly Rock and Roll, some hard Rock and Roll, maybe 3 CD's that could be considered Country and no rap. 

• MississippiSlimMississippiSlim Posts: 88Member ✭✭

On my recent trip back to Mississippi, I have the privilege of visiting the "Howlin' Wolf" museum in West Point, Mississippi. A devoted music/blues guy showed me around (it wasn't open yet unless you set up an appointment) He's trying to get the citizens of West Point to promote it. He showed me his sign in book with visitors from all over the country, coming there just by word of mouth. Great displays with some of his guitars and much memorabilia. My cousin even drove me on the back roads to where he was born near the old railroad tracks.

I wanted to drive up the Mississippi Delta "Blues Trail" through Clarksdale, etc. but just did not have the time on this trip. Maybe next time. Looks like a great trip with lots of blues/honky tonks to stop at.

Personally, I love all country music except for some of the "pop" countrying being sung by certain performers nowadays. But my real music loves are Western swing and Blue Grass.

"Summergrass" Bluegrass music festival here in the SD area (Vista, Ca.,) is one of the best. I camped there last summer for 3 days and nights of music, both on stage and afterwards in the parking lots with lots of "jamming" and passing around of bottles of various liquids (G) until 2 and 3 in the morning!

jim

SD

I heard that a new form of music is being introduced this summer.  It's a synthesization and combination of country and RAP and they're calling it - "CRAP"  :-O

Just kidding!!!!  :))   

I've actually got a pretty good collection of country among my many CD's.

And Frank Zappa eh Ron?  Now there is a name I haven't heard in many moons.....  Remember Moving to Montana?  >:)

He's been gone for about 20 years now and died of prostate cancer....  
  • BlueSchmooBlueSchmoo Posts: 619Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Wow there s variety of music fans, I actually love many genres, heavy metal, like the Scorpions, Def Leppard, to country Mark Chestnutt, George Strait, to 70's classic rock, The Guess Who, Stealer's Wheel, 80's pop and hip hop, Madonna, Sugar Hill Gang, new wave B-52's, Sparks, reggae, Bob Marley, Jimmy Cliff, Classical Tchaikovsky, even some Bob Wills and Chet Atkins (the guitar master) Oh and the absolute BEST DANCE SONG. Of all time Glenn Miller's "In the Mood" But my all time favorite music since I used to play them on my 4 track tape player and my brother's album when I was 4-5 (with mom's help) is CCR, and to this day John Fogerty
  • BlueSchmooBlueSchmoo Posts: 619Member ✭✭✭
    Neil/Yoly, Sounds like fun used to Ska dance (or what we thought was Ska) at some clubs back in the day
    edited March 2014
    Now there's Zumba!   \:D/
    edited March 2014
    I didn't post the video as a representation of Ska music; but in response to Wendy's comment that 'she used to dance to Ska (or what she thought was Ska)', showing the different moves/steps during the Ska craze of the 50's. Personally, my favorite Ska bands are Madness and the Mighty, Mighty Bosstones.
  • RahtwareRahtware Posts: 399Member
    Grew up with a dad that played big band and polka music. inherited a wooden cabinet, table top radio at age 10 when my sister got a new pink plastic radio for Xmas.  I remember listening to The Lone Ranger on that radio.   I also remember tuning in the local Rock N Roll station (1) that played Little Richard, Fats Domino, Bill Haley & the Comets, etc.  I came of age in the middle of a Southeast Asian jungle listening to Psychedelic Rock and Motown.  I had no interest in Country until one winter afternoon in Sparta Wisconsin when I ducked into an old-timers bar to hide from the cold while waiting for a friend to get off work.  The bartender was an older "gal" who looked like she had lived her life fully.  She was keeping herself and the two other customers entertained by feeding nickels into the Rockola which was playing 50's country.  She must have been bored cuz she spent over an hour introducing me to the "Hanks", Williams,Thompson and Snow, Patsy Cline, Webb Price, Kitty Wells and others highlighting each song with stories about the singer, the times and what the song meant to her.  In College I took a Music Appreciation (Classical Music that is) class that further expanded my horizons.  In 1970 I married a girl (still married) who came with a guitar and wooden flute (Recorder).  She also brought Into my life groups/singers like The Incredible String Band, Iris Dement, Gillian Welsh, the Stanley Brothers and many others.  As our kids grew up they developed there own tastes in music and now I was exposed to The Dead Kennedys, Green Day and etc (my favorite group of this era is the Ramones).  And, on my own I have picked up Fiona Apple (love her version of Across the Universe), Sam Phillips (secular music) and, heck lets throw in a little Rage to stir up the mix. All this just to say that I really never know what I will be listening to until I pick up my Ipod and start thumbing through the menu.
  • normfunnormfun Posts: 298Member
    Grew up on rock and roll.  This picture is fuzzy but so was I.  The Doors at the 1968 San Jose Folk Rock Festival.  Although my musical interests have varied over the years I still like some good sixties music.
  • RahtwareRahtware Posts: 399Member
    Neil, cool poster.  Norm, our first date was Altamont.
    Yeah I was at Altamont as well.  Parked right on the freeway!  Crazy.  Kind of a rough concert if you were too close to the stage.  We were just far enough back to not get caught up in the fray but close enough to  see and hear the music.  Ah the teen years in Berkeley,  What a great place to grow up.
    edited March 2014
    Have always felt fortunate to have lived during a time when some of the best bands were around and producing music that has lived on, is played daily and is still legendary today (e.g., The Doors, The Who, Pink Floyd, Bob Seger, The Rolling Stones, Led Zepplin, the various Motown era groups/performers, and even the various genres of music and musical performers therein).....  Music back in the day reflected what was going on (as it has always done) and even back in the era of slavery, was a means of communication between groups of people.  We are all impacted by music in our own special way and even today, I listen regularly to the doors and other groups because it takes me back in time to my early days.  Jim Morrison was a rather kooky, quirky, cryptic fellow, but I remember playing their music as a drummer and remember how they literally swept the US like a wave and across the globe, the profound effect they had on people and even remember the Beatles intro on the Ed Sullivan show.  Music is important and definitely soothes the soul and creates happiness, while setting various moods......  Can't imagine life without it!  

And speaking of The Doors, this early video really contrasts their early musical versions (using "The Best of the Doors" as an example lets say) and shows just how different they sounded later and how they transitioned their various versions into a final cut.  Morrison's voice even sounded differently later.  If you enjoy their music and haven't seen "The Doors" movie with Val Kilmer, it's worth the watch as he does a great acting role in the movie......  

We will enjoy that campfire at McCall
  • RhondaRhonda Posts: 149Member
    Oh, man. Exploring this forum just gets better and better! Blues, 60's, 70's...all hits home for me! BB King, ZZ Top, Dylan, Doors...which brings up a question, guys, since this is a teardrop forum and all. We are picking up our new (to us) LG 5-wide this weekend and we love deep, rich sound...the kind that seeps into the soul and mellows the mind. We are not techies, however, and not up on the latest and greatest on sound machines. We'd appreciate input on the best way to get good sound into our 5 wide. I reckon we'd start with a cd player. Or would that be an IPOD dock? Speakers? Thanks for sharing the basics and thanks for being specific on where we start in getting the groove on with our new tiny space. If this has already been addressed in another thread thanks for pointing me in the right direction! Peace out, homies...   ;;)
    Rhonda. You 'll find the interior and galley cabinets are connected, and it 's an easy way to run wiring through then. You 'll see. Michigan Mike has a couple of wonderful, but small, Bluetooth speakers that make it easy to listen to his music. I use a small portable speaker with my iPod, or I can take my iPod sound Dock... If I remember it.
  • RhondaRhonda Posts: 149Member
    Thanks, Verna. I appreciate the tips...

• RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Posts: 408Member
    I am currently in Doobie Brothers, Kenny Loggins, Earth Wind and Fire and Commodores mode. I have a small suction cup Bluetooth speaker (bought it through a groupon as I recall) that is designed to go in the shower, but is working out just fine in the LG. My iPad is the source of the music.
  • kokomoslowkokomoslow Posts: 46Member
    Neil Young, Camander Cody and his lost planet airmen, HotTuna, CSN, Elvin Bishup, Tower of Power, Bob Segar and the list could go on and on.
  • DonParksDonParks Posts: 11Member
    Jon Dee Graham's "Big Sweet Life",  Neil Young's "Comes a Time' and "Gentle on my Mind" Band Perry version have been playing in the TD today.  Love the Bluetooth capability of the Jensen MS30BT and the installed speakers.  I use my IPad and Spotify.  
  • LinoLino Posts: 221Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    I love blues, reggae and classic rock before 1985
    A few favorites are GratefulDead, Steel Pulse, Todd Rundgren, Son Seals(amazing blues guitarist) and Bob Marley
  • MrbillMrbill Posts: 534Member ✭✭✭

My Music Collectorz database says I have enough music to play continually for 3 years without a repeat...

Country, Christian, Classical, Classic Rock and Roll, Blues, Folk but my favorites are concert bootlegs and totally 'not expected'  albums. Frank Zappa jamming with Pink Floyd live in Germany, Kinky Friedman in Sweden, Johnny Cash in Germany, and the list goes on.

Anyone else hum Jimmy Buffet's "12 Volt Man" while working on your LG?

Now I know this Joe down in Mexico
    He went there to work on his tan
    For years he's been plugged into blenders and songs
    They call him the Twelve Volt Man

He don't need no charge card
     Just give him a die-hard

• LinoLino Posts: 221Member ✭✭✭
    Mr Bill
    I forgot to mention live recordings of shows. I have thousands and recorded at least 100 shows. 
  • JratJrat Posts: 19Member
    If you like acoustical guitar, check out the album Dance of Apollo by John Floridis.  Awesome!  He is out of Missoula, MT.  We try to catch him live at various breweries throughout the State.
  • GunnyGunny Posts: 85Member
    RonNCA said:
    A much as I love Frank Zappa, his music isn't going camping with me. Chris Botti, Roy Orbison, Ray Price, Peter White, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Lyle Lovett, Marty Robbins, Asleep at the Wheel, and maybe the B52s. But on a star filled night with no moon may be a good time for some Chopin nocturnes.

Love the Chris Botti, I have all of his CD's an Marty Robbins love his music
  • GunnyGunny Posts: 85Member
    I just got the latest music from Jethro Tull  "minstrel in the gallery" it's so great to listen too in my [email protected] love the CD player sounds great
  • ksecreaseksecrease Posts: 29Member
    We are huge blues fans  (especially Delta Blues) and frequent visitors to the Mississippi area. We saw BB King at his museum last year. We blasted John Lee Hooker, Big Joe Williams and Son House on our maiden voyage. 
    I enjoy Chris Botti too and have his albums and a live DVD where he plays with the Boston Pops orchestra.  He's an incredibly amazing talent with some beautiful music.  I'd love to see him live in concert and that one's on my bucket list.