Utility Chest Toolbox with Factory Installed AC Prep Connections

OFFICIAL DISCLAIMER:  This post is to document what I did for installing a full-size, utility chest toolbox with factory-installed AC prep connections.  Depending on what LG model you have and how yours was built, please make the necessary adjustments from this post to suit your particular setup.  The intent of this post is to give folks here some ideas of how you can get around some issues if you happen to have the ClimateRight AC and AC prep installed from LG Factory, and you also want to install a full-size, utility chest toolbox for additional storage.  If you perform anything to your own LG using this post, neither I, Little Guy, Tractor Supply Company, ClimateRight, nor this site's  Moderators can be held responsible for any damages incurred.  This post is also not intended to serve as free publicity or advertisement for Valterra, Camco, or any products mentioned within thereof.

My lawyer made me wrote this!  :)

The problems/issues I wanted to resolve for my LG:

• I have the ClimateRight AC with AC prep installed from LG Factory.  Clearance from platform to bottom of AC connections is roughly 17.5”.
  • I wanted a full-size, utility chest toolbox (56” or wider) for maximum, additional storage.  Most of the toolboxes out there are at least 18” or taller, so if you want a less-tall box, you would probably end up getting a box made for compact trucks, which is also not as wide (thus, not as much room to throw all your camping necessities in).
  • The hoses supplied with the ClimateRight AC are downright flimsy and awkward both in terms of construction and how they connect to the ClimateRight AC.

PART I: Utility Chest Toolbox

After looking at various boxes from manufacturers like Tradesman, Delta, WeatherGuard, etc., I found the full-size, utility chest toolbox from Tractor Supply Company to be the right box for my mission.  It is only 16” tall, whereas most of the others are at least 18” to 20” tall, which was a concern that they would obstruct the AC connections.  The TSC box has a slanted bottom, which would allow me to mount the box further away from the LG than a straight box.  Also, my understanding is that the TSC box is made by reputable manufacturers and rebranded as TSC.  Mine is made by DeeZee (the owner’s manual that came with the TSC box actually says "DeeZee Owner's Manual").

The TSC box is well-constructed, sturdy, and you just simply can’t beat the price.  Since I wasn’t looking for a contractor-grade, bullet-proof box, I am very happy with this purchase.

I first added a 3/4" plywood platform.  Painted it with flat black, high temperature paint, weather-sealed it, and went over it with another coat of protective finish for good measure.  The platform was installed with four, SS lag bolts, rubber washers, SS fender washers, and silicone caulk.  The TSC box installed just as easily and similarly.

The photos show the box installed (as forward away from the LG as possible to allow maximum clearance to the AC connections).  Please note that my LG has a custom, extended platform (24” deep) and not the standard platform (18” deep).  So if you have the standard platform and decide to go with this setup, your clearance will be about 6” less than what you see in the photos.

The extra room I have in the back make a nice place to stow folded chairs/tables, and other miscellaneous items that don't need the sheltering of the box.

Comments

• ArizonaOneArizonaOne Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2013

PART II: New Hoses for ClimateRight AC.
    I did not care for the hoses which came with the ClimateRight AC (which are basically made using your standard bathroom, venting, dryer ducts, fittings, and reducers).  They crush far too easily, difficult to manage and transport without damaging, and limit how/where the ClimateRight AC can be positioned.  So I decided to make my own hoses.

If you notice, the AC prep connections from LG Factory are made using standard RV sewer fittings and adapters from Valterra.  This is good because it allowed me to make up new hoses using standard RV sewer hoses, fittings, and adapters which can be easily obtained from various sources online and/or locally.  I realize I will be reducing the diameter of the overall hose from 4” to 3” thus increasing the velocity of the air flow (hah, I forced you to learn something new today! :) ), but for such a small space such as the LG, you will not notice the difference, and it will not impact the performance of the ClimateRight AC.

Some reasons why I chose the parts I chose:

• I chose the Camco RhinoFlex RV Sewer Hose because they are more durable than standard RV sewer hoses.  They also flex, bend, and stay put similar to the hoses from ClimateRight. . . ..and for 10 feet, they also compact down to less than 36” per hose!
    • You can reuse the twist lock vent adaptors which came with the ClimateRight hoses.  I got new ones from Valterra which have four (instead of two) latches for better connection.  No other reasons.
    • To avoid drilling, gluing, or doing anything to my new ClimateRight AC which may void the warranty.  If your ClimateRight unit is out of the warranty period, then by all means, there are different ways to skin this cat.

Hose 1 – Supply Hose (Out from ClimateRight AC to LG) Parts List:

• 1 Valterra T1024-2 Black 3" Straight Hose Adapter (Online or Local RV Store)
    • 1 NDS 4” to 3” Reducer (Home Depot; Local Hardware Store)
    • 1 Camco 39671 RhinoFLEX 10' RV Sewer Hose (Online or Local RV Store)
    • 1 Camco 39553 3" Twist-It Clamp (Online or Local RV Store)
    • 1 5/16” x 1/4" Door Weatherstripping; you won’t be using all of it (Local Hardware Store)
    • 1 Clear (or White) Silicone Caulk (Bathroom or Windows/Outdoor Type) (Local Hardware Store)

1.   On one end of the RhinoFlex, insert the Camco 39553 3" Twist-It Clamp, followed by the Valterra T1024-2 Black 3" Straight Hose Adapter.  Tighten securely by hand.
    2.   On the other end of the RhinoFlex, apply caulk to inside of 3” end of NDS 4” to 3” Reducer, then insert RhinoFlex.  Allow caulk to cure (time varies depending on brand/type of caulk used).
    3.   On ClimateRight AC outlet (upper port), apply 5/16” x 1/4" weatherstripping around connection as shown in photos.  Two rings of weatherstripping were sufficient for me, but if you want, you can always apply a third strip.  This provides just the right amount of snugness and air tightness to give you a good connection.

Hose 2 – Return Hose (From LG to ClimateRight AC) Parts List:

• 1 Valterra T1024-2 Black 3" Straight Hose Adapter (Online or Local RV Store)
    • 1 Woodstock W1011 4-Inch to 3-Inch Reducer (Amazon)
    • 1 Camco 39671 RhinoFLEX 10' RV Sewer Hose (Online or Local RV Store)
    • 2 Camco 39553 3" Twist-It Clamp (Online or Local RV Store)

1.   On one end of the RhinoFlex, insert the Camco 39553 3" Twist-It Clamp, followed by the Valterra T1024-2 Black 3" Straight Hose Adapter.  Tighten securely by hand.
    2.   On the other end of the RhinoFlex, insert the Camco 39553 3" Twist-It Clamp, followed by the Woodstock W1011 4-Inch to 3-Inch Reducer (Amazon).  Tighten securely by hand.

Hose 2 Alternate Design Additional Parts List:
    I chose not to do this for now for warranty reason stated previously (maybe in the future), but if you want, you can make Hose 2 as follows.  Please note that this design will make a slightly better connection, but will require you to drill into and apply glue to the ClimateRight AC, which may cause warranty issues with ClimateRight if it’s still fairly new.

Same parts list as above for Hose 2, plus –

• 1 Valterra T1009 3" Bayonet Flange (use four self-tapping sheet metal screws and mount this to the lower (air return) port of the ClimateRight AC.  Then neatly apply small bead of caulk around the flange for air-tightness.  Allow caulk to cure (time varies depending on brand/type of caulk used).
    • 1 Valterra T1024-2 Black 3" Straight Hose Adapter (replace the Woodstock W1011 4-Inch to 3-Inch Reducer)
    Optional:
    2 Camco 39857 RhinoFLEX Clear Swivel Fittings - 90° Elbow Adapter

I also got these because they swivel and allow me to route the hoses in different orientation instead of straight out from the LG.  If you do not have a custom, extended platform like mine (24”), you may not have the needed clearance between the LG and the toolbox to make the AC hose connections, and these adapters will help you out if you are in that situation.  See photos to get better visualization.

The photos show the various components and the new hoses, the Camco 90° Elbow Swivel Adapters, and the entire system connected.  As you can see, because of my extended platform and the TSC box, I didn’t really need the Camco 90° Elbow Swivel Adapters since I had plenty of clearance.  But for those who has the standard platform, the Camco 90° Elbow Swivel Adapters should help you out, especially if you rig up a couple of hoses like how I did here.

• ArizonaOneArizonaOne Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2013
    You can get one of those sewer hose tubes and mount it underneath the LG and stow these two hoses neatly inside of them.  Still contemplating on that idea though since I'm not sure the 4" end will fit.

But next in order, I am planning on building a foldable platform (similar to one of those trays on a plane) so the AC unit can sit on instead of on top of the toolbox.
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Wow, great write-up Robert and some super information!   I like the looks of the swivel adapters as it seems to be a better fit and with more options in positioning the ClimateRite unit.

Well done and thanks for taking the time to provide the photographs and in-depth modifications you did.  No doubt, this will help out others down the road who have the means and ability to perform this work.  

Thanks!
  • TearDropRadioTearDropRadio Member Posts: 123 ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Great 'how to'. This is not to compete with that but my experimentation for this mock up on
    my 6wide platform was to position the prep kit and 4" tubes to not conflict with the logo's on the front plus the set up in the garage was to determine the tie down method while using the ac because it does vibrate and needs secure without putting to much pressure on the tool box, with a wide wood platform under it, it distributes the weight safely.

Also, since I have the star gazer window, I wanted to position the unit to take advantage of the IR remote that works through glass and eliminates the in and out to set the right fan speed, temp. setting etc. My tests confirmed it's a good set up which of course is not intended as a permanent installation when towing, just setting up when needed at camp, otherwise it's left at home base or in the tow veh.

• SusieQSusieQ Member Posts: 1,847
    I give this thread 5 stars!  Great job!

• Glen85Glen85 Member Posts: 173
    Great job! Very informative and nice detail, especially with the pictures. Saving this.
  • TearDropRadioTearDropRadio Member Posts: 123 ✭✭
    Neil, the garage putzing around was on one of those 40 plus degree days, not the 40 below wind chills we were said to have earlier in the week. I figured out the mounting plan for the TV too when it warms up more. I could run the small heater to take chills away and mount the TV hardware but I'll wait. My writing jobs are keeping me snug in the warm home office including a new series of short stories for the Phantom TearDrop.