Roof Rack and ARB Awning Install

gsdog2gsdog2 Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
I had roof rack brackets from SoCal Teardrops sitting around forever so I decided to install them along with another rack I had from Frontrunneroutfitters.com. I did have to fab up some L brackets to attach the rack to the brackets. These brackets are designed for a Thule or Yakima style foot pad. Slapped it all together with stainless steel hardware and it turned out great. Might put another awning on the other side. I also have the fully enclosed room for the awning.

Comments

• normfunnormfun Member Posts: 298
    Sweet!  I really like the look of that.
  • PackratPackrat Member Posts: 135
    What a great set up, I wanted to do something like that but at 6'4 it wasn't in the cards for me but WOW. What a great addition to an already awesome platform
  • RandomAbstractRandomAbstract Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    I want one! :) Looks great

Are the brackets through-bolted into the walls? If not, did you just use lag bolts?

Is the ARB completely freestanding?  How long does it take to set up the awning?

Thanks.  BTW, I am typing this with one finger while laying in my Silver Shadow in Glacier NP.
  • crooks420crooks420 Member Posts: 208 ✭✭✭
    Looks great.... I have been contemplating a roof rack for my 4-wide.... and the ARB awning.
  • gsdog2gsdog2 Member Posts: 106 ✭✭
    Thanks everyone. The brackets are attached to the side of the teardrop using 1 inch stainless steel lag bolts; 1/4 inch diameter. The width of the bracket plus washer puts it at about 3/4 inch drive depth. The ARB is not freestanding, it must be attached to a vehicle or trailer at one end. It takes about 1 minute to deploy / put away. Comes in 4, 6 and 8 foot lengths.
    Thanks gsdog2,

So much for the English language. What I was attempting to ask (and you answered) was " is the end of the ARB that is NOT attached to the trailer freestanding?" LOL
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Wow, that is awesome Dog!   The fact that it is outstretched and standing erect says a lot as there is no sagging awning and it's cleaner than the board of health!   If I was going to use such a system I'd go this way as it doesn't get any better than that!  Very clean and classy looking and the only thing missing are lawn chairs and a few cold brews! :D

And the next time you're out boon-docking take some shots of your set-up and the side arm deployed and with full camp gear displayed!  We will have Little Guy post it up on their FB page.  

Well done my friend!  You DA man!  ^:)^

Thanks gsdog2,

So much for the English language. What I was attempting to ask (and you answered) was " is the end of the ARB that is NOT attached to the trailer freestanding?" LOL
    My bad, yes. The end poles collapse and fold up into the end piece and the extension poles do the same into the main piece. Then you just roll it up. I recommend using the included guy lines to secure it down when deployed. ARB finally just came out with panels you can attach to the front or sides which angle down to block more of the sun or wind. I may pick them up. Oh, and the cold beer is coming soon! Headed up to the mountains on the 13th.
    Well, if you have a matching ARB refrigerator you can keep 72 cans of beer icy cold! Unless you want room for food :)
  • Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks fantastic! I love my awning (not an ARB). Like yours, it is so quick to deploy and has a permanent storage place on the side of my [email protected]

Well, if you have a matching ARB refrigerator you can keep 72 cans of beer icy cold! Unless you want room for food :)

Haaa. Yup, I have an ARB fridge. I keep it in the LandCruiser. I use the stock fridge in the SS just for storage. It draws 3.2amps which will drain the battery quite quickly. I believe the ARB draws 1 or less amps. Which brings me to a new project; dual batteries in the SS?!
    Lisa33 said:

Looks fantastic! I love my awning (not an ARB). Like yours, it is so quick to deploy and has a permanent storage place on the side of my [email protected]

Yup, awnings are indispensable. A must have item. I've been using an ARB on my LandCruiser for about a year now and I dont know how I got along without it. I like watching others sweat it out… haha.
    Ok, I attached my CVT awning room to see how it fits. Fully enclosed with roof and rubberized zip in floor (although I didn't zip the floor in). Doors on all four sides.
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing better than a multi-use item!  Very impressive and a great fit for the Little Guy!   Is that a cotton or canvas material on the awning room?   That's really cool and if there was a way to secure the side wall completely to the trailer you'd eliminate any bugs from entering.  But then again I have never encountered many bugs on my western journeys.  

I like it!  
    No way to physically attach it, but each door has a zippered screen that rolls up. I figured I'd just keep the screen zipped. Yeah, hardly any bugs over here. Especially winter time in the deserts.
  • EthernaughtEthernaught Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2014
    After a couple of wet, wet trips this summer we decided on the ARB awning. First chance to use I. On what will be a wet Labor Day weekend for us. Attached this with a couple of right angle brackets to out factory crossbars.
  • LilWVTDLilWVTD Member Posts: 149 ✭✭

Awning looks great!  Like the ARB and holds hard rain well except I had to keep pushing up in middle to drain off the puddle of water unless I put the front poles down really low.  I did that when I went to sleep....

• LeviLevi Member Posts: 34
    Where can I buy that same set up ?
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Levi said:
    Google is your friend.  
  • CuffsCuffs Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    Levi said:

I bought my ARB awning on a group buy with Tacoma owners. Got a screaming deal on it. Check around, there's usually a sale somewhere. 
  • retrofitretrofit Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    looks great, whats the metal square tube running along the bottom of the trailer under the door?
  • kragsterkragster Member Posts: 15
    4 Wheel Parts just had a sale on ARB's... in case one is close to you. At the time they had 45 units. 
  • Lful2000Lful2000 Member Posts: 26
    What size is best for a [email protected]?  I don't think I've read what size ARB's go best on each model. Anybody?

• Lful2000Lful2000 Member Posts: 26
    specifically a Tag Max XL 

• CuffsCuffs Member Posts: 59 ✭✭
    I have and love the 6' wide. 4' is too narrow to be of much use and 8' wide is just too much to handle, especially if I have to set it up solo. I use it on a LG and can transfer it to my truck bed rack as needed. 
  • jeepin2002jeepin2002 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭

I tried out  both the tag and tag max xl. Glad we got the 6 foot wide Tag Max XL.

• LeviLevi Member Posts: 34
    Us to we got the 6x10 silver shadow!
  • WoodsfanaticWoodsfanatic Member Posts: 16
    So how did you decide where to screw into the sides? For support of a stud. I see you used 1 inch lag bolts, so obviously you didn't go into the inside walls? 
  • PomgrntPomgrnt Member Posts: 31
    Jeepin2002, do you have any pictures of the ARB on your [email protected] XL? 
  • jeepin2002jeepin2002 Member Posts: 119 ✭✭
    I still use the Norcold in mine. GsDog2 is running the ARB.
  • DesertsandDesertsand Member Posts: 6
    gsdog2 said:
    Thanks everyone. The brackets are attached to the side of the teardrop using 1 inch stainless steel lag bolts; 1/4 inch diameter. The width of the bracket plus washer puts it at about 3/4 inch drive depth. The ARB is not freestanding, it must be attached to a vehicle or trailer at one end. It takes about 1 minute to deploy / put away. Comes in 4, 6 and 8 foot lengths.
    How are the brackets holding up? Looking at the Socal brackets currently, like the look and prefer to drill in the side vice top(hopefully less chance of water intrusion). Is your silver shadow a 5x10?