Propane tanks

bluegrassradiobluegrassradio Posts: 82Member
edited September 2014 in Conversions & Upgrades
I just finished mounting a new propane tank to my toolbox. I went with an 11lb tank from Worthington and mounted it with a special bracket from PowerTanks. I'm thrilled with the way it came out. It has a Quick release lock mechanism on it. Now I won't be burning through those green 1lb cartridges every hour or so when using my little red campfire!

Comments

• RollingLagrimaRollingLagrima Posts: 408Member
    edited September 2014
    Nice, and it balances out having the spare up there too, visually at least.
  • DaveyBDaveyB Posts: 418Member ✭✭✭
    Sally took nice, so i will leave you with " Sweet"
  • bluegrassradiobluegrassradio Posts: 82Member
    LOL, nice and sweet. They go together like a spare tire and a propane tank!
  • VernaVerna Posts: 3,855Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014

Where did you get the 11 lb bracket.  I have searched the Internet for one, without success.  In fact I was going to pay someone to weld one up for me, but I like yours better.  And, I think it looks so cool :)

Thanks

• RZRBUGRZRBUG Posts: 242Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Larry.
  • paulhenkpaulhenk Posts: 328Member ✭✭✭
    I have a CO2 tank in the Jeep for airing up the tires after a day of offroading.
    Similalr to the Powertank setup that bracket comes with but less expensive.

My tank came with this bracket. I was thinking about adding a Propane tank as well.

You can see it on the roll bar behind the old guy resting after our hike at Negro Bill Canyon in Moab.

Indeed, that's the one! Yes, it's expensive. At $109, more than the tank itself in fact. That said, it was the only thing I could find that provided the solution I wanted. Sometimes you just have to pay the price and wait for the sticker shock to wear off in time. http://powertank.com/products/sfID1/17/productID/480

Bluegrass, it looks like the bracket is bolted to your tongue box.  Did you put a backing inside the tongue box to make the side stronger?  Does the bracket sit partially on your tongue frame?  It's hard to tell.

Thanks

edited September 2014
    I hear you and understand. It's pricey, but IMO worth every penny. You don't want your tank coming loose. Just imagine the carnage. This bracket was specifically designed for this tank and is rock solid. I have peace of mind on the road and that makes it priceless. The looks are a bonus!
  • RahtwareRahtware Posts: 399Member
    LG has the SS balanced great, my SS5X10 came in at 10% on the ball when I had the box on the front and the 60lb tire on the rear.  Now that I don't carry the spare (thank you Mike) it is around 11%.  I would think that by putting the spare (60lbs) and tank (25lb(?)) on front the tongue weight at the ball is creeping up over 200lbs. That would put it at a nice 13-14%, but would be too heavy for some smaller TVs like my Element.  Question is, have you weighed it yet?

Mine will be weighed next week (tongue weight and loaded weight).  I'm interested in the answer since I do have the spare tire on the tongue and the only place to carry a propane tank would be on the tongue. I won't have the bicycle on the rear, but I think I can figure that one out.....maybe....

• RZRBUGRZRBUG Posts: 242Member ✭✭✭
    For the present, I'm OK with my tank where it is.  But, out of curiosity, I did some prowling on the Internet and ran across some brackets for industrial sized fire extinguishers that I thought might work.  I'm just not sure if the tank sizes are close enough to the same, and prices were also a little high, although not as much as the one above.  Might be something worth checking out if I ever decide to put on the diamond plate box and mount the tank outside.
    edited September 2014
    I thought about that issue as well, but the lack of other options made it an obvious choice for me. I had to do something. My propane tank is an 11 pounder. Not sure what the actual weight is but I will check it when full.

If necessary, I will balance out the load by putting more wine in the galley!

As far as brackets are concerned, check them carefully. My tank is suspended in air and has special hooks on the bottom that grip the O-ring so it doesn't slip out. It was specifically designed to accommodate the Worthington 11 pound tank or the Manchester 10 pound tank. These special size tanks and hardware come at a premium. If you want to go with a standard 20 pound tank I suspect you will save some money. I thought it looked a little bit too big and bulky on my small wedge toolbox however, so opted for one that fit the overall scale.
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 8,776Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm skeered to weigh mine!!!   =P~  :-O
    I'm skeered to weigh mine!!!   =P~  :-O
    Ask me next week, Mike, how much mine weighs......
    Sorry little green, I missed your earlier question about 5lb tanks. Having used the 11 pound model now for a couple of nights with my little red campfire, I will tell you I'm already feeling it's a bit small! In fact I wound up driving over an hour to get it refilled. The gas I used for that cost more than the propane in the tank LOL! I get between 12 and 15 hours of run time with the LRC so truly it's fine. That said, I still carry four or five of the little green cartridges with me for other appliances including my Aqua Cube, Coleman Road trip grill and lanterns.
    Well, an AquaCube is about the coolest gadget I've found recently. Here's a video that will whet your appetite.

I've been spoiled by this. Even when staying in campgrounds with showers, I prefer using my own equipment. It's been pretty nice!
    Au Contraire! The guy in that video looked like Fabio before he started using the AquaCube...blew it right off his head!
  • DaveyBDaveyB Posts: 418Member ✭✭✭
    I will pretend i never seen that video.... X_X my car can carry only so much stuff, and i am seeing just way to much stuff i would like to bring. My problem is i always bring the bean bag game which as you know takes up space. That said, Aqua cube looks very interesting but i do need to be concern with loosing more of what little hair i have. :((
    Here's another option. A friend of mine has this and LOVES it! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IFHFJXI/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_XWbgub1X3KY2J
    You've come a long way in the last year Terry and I can see that you are really enjoying yourself and really getting into teardropping.  I think that's awesome and you have really tricked out your Little Guy with some cool stuff that makes each trip fun and more enjoyable.  But I'm like Dave too, I have way too much stuff already and it's probably a good thing I didn't see that cube at Ohio or I'd probably have one sitting here now.   LOL  

I did like the TV post too with your daughter and agree, that will be something she'll always remember.  It is also a great way to get kids interested in and acquire a love for camping so that they create a life long bond with nature and the outdoors.  I always smile when I travel through our national treasures, the national parks as the land was put aside for generations to enjoy and I know that even when I pass on to the happy hunting grounds they will remain and people will be able to enjoy them long after we are gone.   
    And the Ivation is a really, really great shower!! Just charge the batter via the USB connector, warm up your water, put it in a bucket and take a shower. Marvelous!!! It takes up very little room.
    Don't EVEN tempt me Verna!    =P~   :))
    Mike, ask Gre, and Mary Van borrowed mine and now she owns one. What can I say??? Greg started it...with this item anyway! You know it does have a much better spray head than the ZODI. Weighs a lot less, too. You need it, Mike!!
    Thank you Mike, you are too kind. I have been having a blast working on the SS. For me (and many of us), tinkering is all part of the fun! I love finding ways to make the experience better and better. And with that in mind, I just finished another mod this morning. I installed gas lifts on my floor boards. I'll start a new thread as I know this has been hashed around before.

Thank you too for your observation about children and the outdoors. I too believe that instilling a love of nature in the hearts of young people is one of the greatest gifts we can pass along.
  • gsdog2gsdog2 Posts: 106Member ✭✭
    I've been using the AquaCube for a while now. You can get 5 1/2 minutes out of 5 gallons if you ran it continously. I don't though. It is really a neat system. Runs off 12v, 110v or an internal battery.
  • LilWVTDLilWVTD Posts: 149Member ✭✭
    I  have an 11 lb. tank and your bracket is what I need.  I'll check into it to mount to my box on rack / back of box. 
  • LilWVTDLilWVTD Posts: 149Member ✭✭
    edited September 2014

I found the model.  Thanks

edited September 2014
    I will say the latch makes me a little nervous, so I always put a lock on it. Without something to keep it from popping open, I just have a funny feeling it could. Having used it now for a couple of weeks, I can say I'm very pleased with it. It seems rocksolid and I have no fear the tank will come loose - again, as long as I keep a lock on it.
  • cwwebb3cwwebb3 Posts: 49Member
    Has anyone found a truck box that will fit a 20lb. propane tank? I'm not a fan of the tub that comes on the front of the [email protected], especially ours which was not done well. It has a bad warp on one side due to poor fabrication. The rivets need to be drilled out and tub needs to be recentered on its framework, but that's something I need to take up with my dealer as a warranty item. It's not that big a deal, just ugly. Anyway, I like the idea of a truck box for the additional storage of light weight but necessary items like chocks, leveling blocks and such. We don't really need the full sized propane tank as we use our camp stove and BBQ rather than the galley stove, but the conversion to the 11lb. tank is pricy. I would also welcome suggestions for a reasonably priced truck box that is of decent quality. Thank you.
    I will say the latch makes me a little nervous, so I always put a lock on it. Without something to keep it from popping open, I just have a funny feeling it could. Having used it now for a couple of weeks, I can say I'm very pleased with it. It seems rocksolid and I have no fear the tank will come loose - again, as long as I keep a lock on it.
    Just be careful Terry and inspect it often.....

• gsdog2gsdog2 Posts: 106Member ✭✭
    If you put it in a truck box, add a few vents. Truck boxes by design are pretty air tight (not really, but enough). I've had tanks blow off pressure when changing elevations, thankfully they were mounted outside. I recently mounted my 5lb tank to the side of the SS.
    Elevation change issue is good to know and something to take into consideration!   Thanks for the contribution!
    WOW MIKE!!! That does it. I'm taking busy Russian freeways off the top of my "must see" tour list. Yes, I will make sure to inspect it regularly.

Hey LittleGreen. I just saw your post. Yes, the tank is mounted very solidly to the tool box. I too wondered if the walls would be a little wobbly and give way to metal fatigue over time, but after mounting it, I have no worries. The little bit of flex in the wall of the toolbox is gone now, due to the added rigidity of the mount. Plus, if you look carefully at the photos I posted, you will see the bottom of the bracket is resting on top of the tongue. Hope that helps.
    WOW MIKE!!! That does it. I'm taking busy Russian freeways off the top of my "must see" tour list. Yes, I will make sure to inspect it regularly.

I doubt you'll ever have any issues Terry as that tank set-up looks solid and with it mounted just off the rear of your TV and between it and the trailer there isn't as much down force or torque applied to that area.  It's a great addition and it will also keep you safe while traveling.  If you are worried about it you could always mount a small stainless bump plate (or lip) beneath it and that would help to absorb and reduce any down force beneath it.  I'd probably think about doing that anyway, just for added strength, insurance and peace of mind.    

• WildcatWildcat Posts: 643Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    gsdog2 said:
    If you put it in a truck box, add a few vents. Truck boxes by design are pretty air tight (not really, but enough). I've had tanks blow off pressure when changing elevations, thankfully they were mounted outside. I recently mounted my 5lb tank to the side of the SS.
    This is an old post.  I had thoughts of trying to mount my 11 pound propane tank onto something-or-other.  I have it in my truck box, which it seems is not a good idea if it were to blow off pressure If that happens, so I need to get it out of there.  I haven't traveled anywhere with it there.  My truck box is quite flimsy, goes all the way across the front, and I'm  sure it could not tolerate something so heavy hanging from it.  Perhaps I'm going to have to go back to one pound canisters.  I haul those in the truck box also.  Any thoughts about this?  I have a Five Wide RR with my spare up front also.  I'm not worried about the weight on the hitch, the Xterra can handle it.  I did find the spendy bracket for my tank, $120, but I must not interfere with my brake line or getting into the truck box.  Has anyone done this with similar setup?  I am also looking to find how long of a hose will work with the stove in the galley.
  • WilliamAWilliamA Posts: 224Member ✭✭✭
    I made a mount for a 5lb cylinder for my LG5W to put behind the fender.  I used a receiver hitch basket from Harbor Freight and just cut it down for the job, then welded it back together.  The bottom of the basket has a steel tube that goes across from frame rail to frame rail.  

I also made a tub-mount for my 5lb cylinder for my [email protected] when I traded up to that.  I removed the aluminum front box and put a larger truck box on instead.  I cut up the stock oval aluminum tongue box (tried to give it away first, but no takers) and used the aluminum to make this one:

WilliamA
    edited January 2019
    I think I like the one behind the fender best, but since I have a Rough Rider, with the steel plate under there not level, it could be difficult.  I imagine it gets some mud on it back there.  Nice jobs, though.  On the front, my spare tire and truck box and battery shutoff are not giving me much space, so if this other thing works, there will be no room to spare.  My truck box only goes two-thirds of the way across to leave room for a cooler.  If a 10 foot hose will reach to the back, it will be a miracle, as it is on the wrong side.  I may have to remove it to use it.  I could leave the tank in the truck box, but hate to cut holes to vent, and I read it's against the law to lock it in there.
  • WilliamAWilliamA Posts: 224Member ✭✭✭
    Wildcat,
    Yeah, both of them have been miles above the stock setup.  For the propane line, I had to add a line for the LG setup.  I just picked one up that was for a barbecue grill.  I think it was 3 or 4' pre-made with both ends finished.  Here's the underside shot of the mount:

I added a stabilizer leg to the bottom that went over to and bolted on the receiver tube.  I did end up adding a cheapo mudflap to the fender on that side to keep the slag off the tank and make sure the road grime didn't get into the threads for the bottle attachment.  Since you have the RR, it would be pretty easy to just drill that and bolt the leg extension there instead of going over to the hitch as I did.

WilliamA
    I'll have to keep this one in mind.  Thanks.
    Well, I know nothing much about propane.  I did mount the 11 pound tank on the tongue with the spendy bracket, as it seemed easiest.  I don't want to pester my nephew to death doing stuff for me.  I also checked the tongue weight again, since it's been a while.  So, now, my question is, since a 10 foot hose won't reach the stove, is it going to work ok if I go to a 14 foot hose?  Can I hook two hoses together, or is that a bad idea?  I will be running the hose around at each stop.

I also have a 4 foot hose to use with Mr. Heater if needed.  I don't mind little one pound cans, but a person could be hauling quite a few.  In decent weather, I probably won't even haul the heater along which would get used in the screen room.  I sold the Little Red Campfire because it never got used.  

I would just carry the tank around closer, but it's a bit of a nuisance to unfasten and fasten it back up there with only two hands.  A  five pound might be easier to deal with, attached like WilliamA did at the back,  but I'm trying to cut down on buying more stuff.
    edited January 2019
    Ok, I can answer my own question about propane hoses now.  I got a brass connector and put the 10 foot and 4 foot hose together.  It is all Mr. Heater brand if that matters. I will check for leaks.  I lit the stove, and it seems to work fine.  If i get tired of that, there's a place in town, 30 miles away, that will make me a one piece, 15 foot hose with proper ends for $56.

An 11 pound tank, if used for cooking, will probably last me a year.