Stargazer Windows

PattiPatti Posts: 591Member ✭✭
Has anybody added the stargazer window after market without having Little Guy do it?  The trip to Ohio would be a long one from Dallas, but the SS I'm wanting is missing the window.

Comments

• Raine11937Raine11937 Posts: 1,547Member ✭✭✭
    Leave it off, Patti.  You won't have to worry about curtains and rocks flying up and breaking it! 

But if you really have to do it, I am pretty sure if you SEARCH above your name, search for "Stargazer Window Install", you will see lots!  You will find that Michigan Mike had work done on his when a rock went through the window, and I think someone else cut one in himself!  Maybe you could get a tradesman in Dallas to do the work, and order the window from Little Guy shipped to you!
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Posts: 8,776Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why not order a window and have a pro install it?   I had a SG window installed after market by Little Guy on my former 5-wide trailer and watched them install the window.   Personally I wouldn't attempt this install as the front of the trailer has a slight contour to it and you only get one chance at getting right and otherwise could end up feeling very bad about a miscue.   I do most of my own installs, but these people have a template, do these installations routinely, reinforce the area between the outer skin and interior wall and they are professionals and know what they are doing.  You risk a multitude of things going wrong here and water will find its way into any orifice and opening provided if you don't seal up these windows properly.  Certainly anyone can attempt and complete these types of installations, but I wouldn't risk my investment trying to save a few bucks.  Plan a trip around a journey to the factory and save yourself some grief or order the window on the front end of your build and have them install it correctly.  
  • PattiPatti Posts: 591Member ✭✭
    You both make good points--I think a combination of not worrying about it and doing without, and eventually plotting a path through Ohio if we decide we really want one. Thank you!
  • Ninjamini2Ninjamini2 Posts: 205Member
    I found this great material at the home show that may just be the ticket for protecting the windows. It is for hurricane protection over home windows and can stop a 2x4 going 60 MPH. Cool stuff. 

http://www.hurricanefabric.com/

I have no affiliation to this product other than i think it is cool
  • nmmikenmmike Posts: 29Member
    Has anyone had the glass window replaced with Lexan or something similar?
  • WildcatWildcat Posts: 643Member ✭✭✭
    Not me.  But always wondered why they didn't use something unbreakable. Maybe it wouldn't look as good.  I remember doing a few searches on the subject.  I ended up with the debris shield, which I'm not wild about, but getting used to it.
  • ShawneeKotsShawneeKots Posts: 67Member
    I have a 2016 SS with the SG window. Personally, I think it is pretty useless. It doesn't give much access to the night sky, IMHO, and is just another opening in the shell to eventually cause a leak. If the SS goes back into production again, and if I were to order another SS, I wouldn't get one with the SG window. Your mileage may vary.