Cargo box suggestions for 6' platform?

Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in Conversions & Upgrades
I ordered my 6x10 SS with the platform in front. The primary items I intend to store there are my generator and window unit ac. I'd love to find a box that will hold them. Any suggestions? The dealer says the platform is 16" deep, which seems small compared to most boxes.

TIA!

:) Lisa

Comments

• Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭
    Also, has anyone installed side rails on their platform? How'd that work out and where did you get them? As I consider my options, I'm wondering if the best thing to do would be to bolt the generator in place on the platform (using a cover when not in use) and put a 48" box or bag next to it. Or am I going to want to move the generator? Maybe just ratcheting straps to hold it there? So many details! Lol

:) Lisa
  • Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2012
    Are you buying a small window A/C unit?  I found a nice diamond plate toolbox on-line at Menard's as they handle an assortment of boxes.  The boxes are assembled in Texas and are a special order item that takes about 30 days to complete.  I did check my platform on the front and it is 17.5".....  I'm sure that if you speak to the manufacturer through Lowe's they would probably build something to suit your needs.  The nice thing about the toolbox is that it is actually larger than my rack and extends out beyond my platform as it is beveled.   

Mike
  • deceiverdeceiver Member Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭
    On mine I bought some of these rubber tubs and used two short carriage bolts with large washers to bolt them to the steel grate on the platform. the covers stay down nicely with short rubber bungie cords. Since this picture was taken I have added two more. My AC fits in about 1/2 of a tub.
    And for Lisa, I welded two 1 ft pipes on the corners (my canopy poles also slip into them). I welded 1/2 a chain link to each one, slip rope through them and I have a railing. You can see the rope and one pipe a bit in the picture.

• sc17842sc17842 Member Posts: 9
    I mounted a box from LOWES on my LG RT.  There are pictures of the installed box on the for sale 2010 RT post.  I actually cut a groove in the box, so it woudl fit over the tray rail.  I didnt want to alter the original design of the trailer.
  • AviationnutAviationnut Member Posts: 45
    Anyone come across a black plastic tongue toolbox that actually has a key to lock it? I can't seem to come up with anything other then metal ones that are key lockable.
  • jerry101jlhjerry101jlh Member Posts: 1,266
    Try Tractor Supply. I believe I saw plastic ones there with locks.
  • jerry101jlhjerry101jlh Member Posts: 1,266
  • VernaVerna Member Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My platform is 16.5" deep and the one at Tractor Supply was too deep to fit down into the platform.  Mike said on another thread his platform was 17.5".  Maybe it will fit your platform. 
    Go to Menard's and look around too as they have many different boxes listed on-line.  
    edited September 2012
    Lisa, I already bought the shiny black one from Harbor Freight with one of their 25% off coupons.  I couldn't beat their price!!!  Thanks
    Nice choices, but I want a key lock and latch on a plastIc box. Verna, I'm lookin at that one. Reviews say its a bit cheap built. What are your thoughts? I really wanted plastic for the fact rocks will not hurt it on the road. I'm soooooooo picky!

Patrick: It is a bit lighter in weight, but I think it's made OK. I can tell that I will be repainting it next year--the lid did not like being in the sun all summer and it is stained, and not quite as shiny. I'm thinking about maybe trying to put a finish on it like they put on truck beds....but I'm not sure it's a good idea.  I just know the shiny black sure was hot to touch this summer.

I also like that it isn't a full 4' wide, so I can put a small propane tank on the platform, if I choose, plus something else on other side of it.  Here's a couple of pictures:

Thanks for the info and great pics. I think for the price it might fit my budget (that doesn't exist). I like Mike's, but I can't see spending almost $300. on an expensive one that I don't think I'd use enough. I would mount it in front of the rack if I go this route as to keep the rack available for coolers and such. I wouldn't use the truck bed liner stuff on it. I think it would end up pealing and look bad. Maybe just repaint it white. I think that's what I'll do too. Time to see what it's gonna cost after my coupon at H Freight! Thanks!
    Don't forget Craigslist for these items. My local Craigslist has tons of truck boxes listed. That may be the route I go since I haven't found the Holy Grail of 6' boxes.
    Great advice Lisa. I did check already, but it seems the ones around here (WI) are all rail mounts and not chest boxes. My brother can get me one from advance auto at $283.73. It's a Better Built Chest Box. I called the manufacturer for dimensions to be sure it will fit within the rack. The bottom tapers in and measures 17 1/2". width is 56" and it's 18" high. Great fit! but a bit costly. Decisions.... decisions....  
  • GregorioGregorio Member Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my LG, I use two Rubbermaid Action Packers; both 35 gallon size, so they fit nicely end-to-end.  They are tight, waterproof, and the lids are permanently attached like a travel trunk, so I don't have to worry about them blowing off as I go down the road.  They also have secure latches that accept a padlock. In the past, I've simply buckled them down, but I think I'll take "deceiver's" advice and bolt them down.  They are made of molded plastic, so the weight isn't an issue.
    edited September 2012
    I like those Action Packers, Greg. Unfortunately they won't fit on the smaller regular platform, I envy the larger platform of the Sport model. Of course, I'd end up loaded down with 2 tons of gear. I need to learn more packing restraint! :)) :) Lisa Forgot to say that I've reached the same conclusion about bolting down whatever I puton the platform for storage (tubs or truck box). I had two tubs strapped down with ratchet straps on my long trip and ended up hating that arrangement. Every time I needed something out of one of the tubs, it was a bit of a production to unstrap everything. Plus, I did damage to the front finish of my trailer since they invariably wiggled a bit looser and came in contact with the trailer. I put a pool noodle there which helped, but it got crushed on some long haul and I didn't realize it. I plan to have diamond plate installed a foot higher on the front of the trailer. If I had to do it over again (for those of you still in the thinking or ordering process), I'd have LG do that as a customization from the beginning.
    edited September 2012
    I ran into a lady on the "Tears Across Dah UP Crawl" and she (Margaret) was carrying a bunch of these containers with her in her vehicle and each was loaded with similar items (e.g. pants, warm clothing, food items, etc.) and she had a system of sorts in the way they were packed.  

I found on my last trip that it was much easier to designate one storage container for food items as it keep my food fresh, out of the way and not being crushed when moving things around in my tow vehicle. I like the locking latch on the container below too, as many of the storage boxes you find in the stores are flimsy.  I also like the fact that this type of container is somewhat beveled in its design and it allows this particular storage box to be stored atop one another, thus minimizing movement or sliding.  

These containers do come in varying sizes and are available at Walmart.  My plan this fall will be to go through all my gear, evaluate "what worked or what didn't work" and basically downsize or scale back what I am carrying with me.  I carry my cooking gear in one box and the other container is used to carry non-essential items like batteries, rope, small repair items, table cloth, clips for the table, radio, hunting knife,  and other various, odd items that one "might need" when traveling.  And as travel and experience goes, you do get pretty good at unpacking, packing and situating gear inside these plastic tubs!