SS Under Floor Storage Access

Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in Conversions & Upgrades
We were talking about this in another thread, but again, I thought I'd start a separate one so the discussion doesn't get buried.  I'd love to see what everyone else has done about this.  I like Mike's piano hinge idea.  The separate boards sort of hinge themselves, but occasionally that far edge can lift over what it's braced against and get a little offset.  A hinge would be great. 

As far as supporting the floor boards, I just cut two pieces of 1x2 to about 18".  Works great.  I'm thinking of adding a loop of nylon webbing underneath close to the edge so that when closed it'll stick up between the edge of the floor board and the door.  That'll give something easy to grab and lift with.  I'll keep the 1x2s underneath in the floor storage space.  See how nicely the solar panels fit?  I think it's a safe storage spot for them.  Also, you can see how my floor storage doesn't extend the full length in the 6x10.  My dealer didn't like how the floor board wasn't supported at the foot end (where you can see the handle).  He added the removable 2x4 with the handle on it.  Pretty nifty and an example of how my dealer really went the extra mile.

:) Lisa
081.JPG 139.4K
083.JPG 164.7K
084.JPG 189.9K

Comments

• rapparrappar Member Posts: 255
    Lisa,
    Thanks for these photos. I have a question...
    My boards will sometimes bind on the lines and hooks used at the bottom of the Little Guy window shades I have installed. Is this a problem for you?
    Someone had suggested cutting a notch in the floor boards at the spots where these shades are anchored to the wall to prevent the binding.
    Thanks
    Ron
  • Lisa33Lisa33 Member Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I have the same problem Ron. I am going to use my Dremel to give a little curve to the wood there. Hopefully that'll address it. I wonder why they put the holes in the middle of the boards? It would be so much better if they were close to the outer edge. Of course, that's something that's easy to fix, too. It'd just be nice if the factory would make some adjustments to make the floor storage more user friendly.

Using what Lisa had done, I have come up with something I hope will work. You always find things need to be fixed a bit 'on the road' and miles from your tools.
    I cut out parts of the covers for the under bed storage so there was no problem clearing the shades at the bottom of the wall. That had been a problem.
    I made some supports using 1" dowels that I had. I put some rubber leg tips on the dowels (Home Depot sells these) so that they were less likely to slip. I also took some time to 'stain' the dowels as raw wood gets so dirty. My stain, from my woodworking days, was a coat of brown shoe polish that I simply rubbed until smooth.
    The black band you see around the dowel is some 'Industrial Strength' velcro. The mate for this will be on the side of my storage area so these supports are where I left them, velcroed to the side of my storage area not rolling around somewhere in that space.
    Lastly, I have a strap in the middle of the cover for my storage area that should make pulling up the cover a bit easier.
    Will this work, I hope so as that storage area could be very helpful if it was more accessible.
    Ron
    That's awesome, Ron. I love it. The rubber feet are great. What did you use as a fastener for the webbing? Is that a bolt, washer and nut? You do quick work!

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love all this ingenuity, as that's what makes this forum fun and interesting.  It's a well known fact that there is more talent spread out among a group of people than meets the eye.

Nice work Ron and thanks for sharing....  Where are you at in your trip?

Mike 
    LIsa,
    My friends in the construction industry tell me Lepage's PL glue is the best so I used some of that. Then, I used a bolt, washer top and bottom and lock washer on the bottom. We'll see how that holds.
    Mike,
    I ran into a problem back home when I was in Zion. Truck stops and these teardrops can make life a bit easier at times. 700+ mile days can be a bit long. However...
    May 26 I head out again to a race track to learn how to really drive a Mustang six speed. The campsite I have booked has terrific views over a great lake so the blog will continue. It should be an interesting time.
    Ron

• JayceeJaycee Member Posts: 129

thanks for this knowledge, as I use a wheel chair and was thinking that the storage area would not useable by myself..storage and access is on the top of my list right now to learn about...

I am also looking for any information as to what LGT persons put on the tongue  of the trailer...as I am trying to see if a Pwr Chair could with the wieght of 250 lbs with batteries in it...I am thinking of taking the two big batteries out if I have to. As I am going to be going across Canada and want the use of my power chair access when I need it as I also use a manual light wieght that gives me independence while driving it sits beside me on the passenger seat..My pwr chair can fit in my car but access is not an independent activity so I am in hope of finding out what others have on that storage area so that accesss to my pwr chair might be possible for ease with the use of a ramp system  or not...

thanks again Jaycee

Jaycee perhaps something like this either behind the trailer or using a dual extension receiver on your tow vehicle (like the one thatSusieQ posted for her bike rack).

http://www.amazon.com/Mobility-Carrier-Electric-Wheelchair-Anti-Tilt/dp/B0049IZ3J2

• BeerrunBeerrun Member Posts: 30
    edited October 2012
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. I installed a piano hinge to hold the panels from shifting when opening. I also installed small drawer pulls on outer edges of platform so I don't pull my shoulder out of socket reaching for the original hole. Used the 3/4 inch dowel with rubber end caps for a prop stick. And small metal clips that hold the dowel under the platform for easy access.

Attached Image

• Michigan_MikeMichigan_Mike Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now THAT is using your head!  Great idea!  
  • jerry101jlhjerry101jlh Member Posts: 1,266
    We simply removed ours as getting into that area not fun with a fully made up bed. With the extra mattress topper and all, comes right back up to the edge.
  • MaryVanMaryVan Member Posts: 357 ✭✭✭
    I removed my underbed storage too.  I found it too difficult to access - put in nice hardwood flooring over the rough plywood that made a nice floor easy to clean.  Since I usually camp alone, I use only one of the mattress pads (covered with a nice memory foam topper) and enjoy the extra space for any extra stuff I take with me. 
  • Blind_Dog_DaddyBlind_Dog_Daddy Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    edited October 2012

I too noticed a problem with the SS floor cover slipping and getting caught when opening.  Mine is a newer version that LG cut slots at the outer sides rather than a hole in the center.  I thought about a piano hinge but didn't like the idean of not being able to remove the panels for cleaning.  I also wanted to solve the support problem (or lack of)  at the toe end without giving up the access to another 12X29X3.5 of storage space on each side.

I solved both problems with strips of aluminum 1/16X2/8X1/2 that I cut to length, notched each end to fit flush and turned up the end to serve a pivot support. The angle also supports the panel at the toe end as well. I liked the way the pivots worked at the toe end so much that I used the scraps to make two more for the other end as well.

I am planning a support leg to be incorporated into this design as well.

We haven't camped in it yet and already making changes and mods. Reminds me of a certain make of cars!

I'll address the contact problem with the curtains when I get those installed.

Attached Image

Attached Image

• Blind_Dog_DaddyBlind_Dog_Daddy Member Posts: 117 ✭✭

Well, I've updated this modification.  This aluminumstrip did prevent the covers from sliding past the pivot point, but with the added weight of mattress and bedding, the center of the platform would be pressed downward when opening the lid causing the edge to hang on the center support and then misalignment would occur when trying to close.

I took both platforms out, installed a 48" long piano hinge at the center edges, matched the notches cut for clearence for the shades and reinstalled the panel assembly.  Works great now. I can now easily access my gear without wrestling the platform back into place.

Only downside is during removal of panels, they are now connected together and twice as heavy, but removal is not something that needs to be done regularly.