Silver Shadow grows up (Gets a lift and new tires)

timlaw71timlaw71 Posts: 81Member ✭✭
edited July 2016 in Conversions & Upgrades
I installed a little lift and new rims and tires to get my silver shadow a little more offroad friendly. I'm really happy with the results. I ended up using 3" blocking between the axle and frame and 15" rims with 30" tires to get the needed clearance.

Comments

• jo11ymonjo11ymon Posts: 71Member ✭✭

Looks good.  I would like to do something Similar to my rough rider.  What rims did you use?  I see that the Tires are General.

• retrofitretrofit Posts: 292Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2016
    What's your tire size?  I'm looking to do the same thing but concerned about tire width 

I already figured out that I'm going to need to lift the fenders.  The trailer build has a rough rider axel but the factory lowered the fenders to match the stock rims. (Note how far my fenders hang under the trailer frame)

• timlaw71timlaw71 Posts: 81Member ✭✭
    retrofit said:
    What's your tire size?  I'm looking to do the same thing but concerned about tire width 

I already figured out that I'm going to need to lift the fenders.  The trailer build has a rough rider axel but the factory lowered the fenders to match the stock rims. (Note how far my fenders hang under the trailer frame)

I went with a 30x9.5x15 tire.
    Hmmm almost the same size tire on a 17 rim.

• RandomAbstractRandomAbstract Posts: 230Member ✭✭✭
    timlaw71 said:
    I installed a little lift and new rims and tires to get my silver shadow a little more offroad friendly. I'm really happy with the results. I ended up using 3" blocking between the axle and frame and 15" rims with 30" tires to get the needed clearance.
    That looks really sharp!  Great job.

Is that an ARB awning?  I have a Foxwing on my Jeep.  Tried to set it up in the wind in Wyoming last week.  Busted the plastic (replaceable) hinges.  The Foxwing is amazing when you are setting up for awhile.  I am thinking the ARB might be better for a quick lunch or such.  How do you like it?

timlaw71 said:
    That looks really sharp!  Great job.

Is that an ARB awning?  I have a Foxwing on my Jeep.  Tried to set it up in the wind in Wyoming last week.  Busted the plastic (replaceable) hinges.  The Foxwing is amazing when you are setting up for awhile.  I am thinking the ARB might be better for a quick lunch or such.  How do you like it?

Thanks for the compliment. Yes it is the ARB 2500 8x8 awning. I love it because it is quick to setup. I love the foxwing but have never owned one. I also have the room that fits on this awning for the kids to sleep in.  
    Awesome what you have done to the SS. Curious what the ports are next to the AC vents..
    The person that had it before me put in stainless steel ship ports for using when it rains. It keeps the rain out of the trailer but still gives you air flow.
    I think you get to add another punch to your man card.
    I think you get to add another punch to your man card.
    Ha.  Thanks
    They look cool as does your whole rig. Didn't see the value and now do. Opening the side windows didn't give the same effect?

When I turn the fantastic fan to push air out and open these ports, you can hear the ports actually sucking air into the trailer. It's crazy :)
    Like your neighborhood. 
    Thanks
    I have an ARB installed on my jeep.  It's a bit tough to just set up for lunch.  By the time I get it deployed the people that I'm with are quarter done with lunch. Then they are waiting for me to take it down when I'm done eating.  On the other hand it works well for overnight camping 
    edited July 2016
    retrofit said:
    I have an ARB installed on my jeep.  It's a bit tough to just set up for lunch.  By the time I get it deployed the people that I'm with are quarter done with lunch. Then they are waiting for me to take it down when I'm done eating.  On the other hand it works well for overnight camping 
    It might go quicker if they helped out :smiley:
    That's what I was thinking.
    It was 115 degrees.   Not sure anyone wanted anything to do but sit in the shade with a cold one.  
  • MD11PlaneguyMD11Planeguy Posts: 260Member ✭✭✭
    looks very nice well done.....
    retrofit said:
    It was 115 degrees.   Not sure anyone wanted anything to do but sit in the shade with a cold one.  
    But it's a dry heat! 
    retrofit said:
    But it's a dry heat! 
    :)
  • paulhenkpaulhenk Posts: 328Member ✭✭✭
    Tim, the SS looks great. May I ask how wide are the fiberglass fenders and do the tires stick out? My 5 wide has 9" wide aluminum. I picked up some 15x6 black wagon wheels w/zero offset. I also added a 3" lift. I'm debating on the tire size. The rim itself is proud of the fender, so I'm thinking about going to a 32x10 fender.
    paulhenk said:
    Tim, the SS looks great. May I ask how wide are the fiberglass fenders and do the tires stick out? My 5 wide has 9" wide aluminum. I picked up some 15x6 black wagon wheels w/zero offset. I also added a 3" lift. I'm debating on the tire size. The rim itself is proud of the fender, so I'm thinking about going to a 32x10 fender.
    Thanks for the compliment. The fenders are roughly 10.5" wide. The tires do not stick out at all, but they don't really tuck all the way into the fender either :). I went with a 9.5" wide tire for this reason. I didn't want any tire sticking out pass the fender if possible.  Hope that helps.

• adam_engleadam_engle Posts: 37Member
    Hi Timlaw71. Do you have any pictures of how you added the 3" blocking? This is exactly what i want to do to mine but haven't really figured out a good way to do it.
    Hi Timlaw71. Do you have any pictures of how you added the 3" blocking? This is exactly what i want to do to mine but haven't really figured out a good way to do it.
    I actually bought the dexter #9 lift kit and drilled a holes to make it fit. http://www.dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/45177/50968. It was a fairly easy install. I don't have any pictures of the actual process.
  • adam_engleadam_engle Posts: 37Member
    Thank you!
    You're welcome

• kragsterkragster Posts: 15Member
    I installed dual ARBs this year, regardless of the the site, I just pull up and use the given side. With the side walls and the latest Road Shower, we found ourselves able to clean up anytime, even with neighbors around. Just got back from a fall trip up the coast from SD to Seattle. The only other tourists we found we mostly foreigners traveling our beautiful coast. i'll post later... 
  • athomp2978athomp2978 Posts: 1Member
    Where did you get these tables and how did you attach them to your trailer?
  • cyclefitnesscyclefitness Posts: 112Member
    I want to know the same thing ... how did you do the tables?
    I know how you attached the tables. :)  

Did you buy or make the legs? I used a painter's pole.
  • WildcatWildcat Posts: 643Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    They sell some things on Amazon whereby you bolt a thing onto the trailer and a thing onto the table, which slides into the piece on the trailer. I was thinking of doing that and thought, ooooh noooo, something else to haul. And I have a phobia about drilling into the trailer and I'm not always on flat ground. I still like the idea.Maybe this thing.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004OHTRE0/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1489032194&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=rv+side+table
  • cyclefitnesscyclefitness Posts: 112Member
    wildcat, that looks like it would rust.  
  • WildcatWildcat Posts: 643Member ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't think it would rust.  It seems to be what people are using.  Support poles are on Amazon also.  I've got different folding tables that don't take up much space.  One is plastic top, folds to 20x20.  I like the Ozark Trail folds to 24x24 that has metal on one side for a grill, can move it away from trailer so as not to smoke it up.  Some like the folding kitchens, but I don't have a need for all that.  I need something my dog child can't easily knock over.
  • HunterHunter Posts: 27Member
    @timlaw71 you find that your sidewalls can safely hold that 5 gallon (?) jerry can on the side?

ive been thinking about putting the same on mine for water and fuel but am afraid to put anything on the sidewalls. 
  • nypete125nypete125 Posts: 14Member
    Our LG 2015 5 x 10 SS is currently trapped in a Shelter Logic building w/ 36" snow drifts surrounding it after this weeks super Nor'easter Stellar hit us earlier in the week.  We are interested in changing out the stock wheels with the baby moon hubcaps for a more modern looking wheel not needing the "Baby Moon" hubs.  Would prefer not to add any blocks to do this.  What size are the stock tires on the SS trailers ? If yours is close to a 2015 model from LG, please respond and let us know.  Many Thanks

• ericmoorecoericmooreco Posts: 292Member ✭✭✭
     I don't know how i missed reading this thread.  
    But I open this tonight, and I go "oh my god" to myself , that is pretty cool
    That silvershadow is pretty darn awesome. Nice job.
    Wow, is all I can say.    B)
    The guy that had the trailer before me put them on. They are a metal type of tongue and groove mount. I will say they are a pain in the rear end to put on and off because they fit so tight. I don't tent to use them very often.
    Wildcat said:
    They sell some things on Amazon whereby you bolt a thing onto the trailer and a thing onto the table, which slides into the piece on the trailer. I was thinking of doing that and thought, ooooh noooo, something else to haul. And I have a phobia about drilling into the trailer and I'm not always on flat ground. I still like the idea.Maybe this thing.   https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004OHTRE0/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1489032194&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=rv+side+table
    This is exactly what they are.
    Nice set up. Where do you store the table tops and support poles? Nice house in the backround =)
    The tables and poles fit in the galley floor sitting on their sides. That's my neighbor's house. :)
    wildcat, that looks like it would rust.  
    They don't rust, but they fit pretty tight and are a real pain sometimes to line up right.
    Hunter said:
    @timlaw71 you find that your sidewalls can safely hold that 5 gallon (?) jerry can on the side?

ive been thinking about putting the same on mine for water and fuel but am afraid to put anything on the sidewalls. 
    I have taken the trailer on several deep woods trail camps sites and the walls hold up with no issue.
     I don't know how i missed reading this thread.  
    But I open this tonight, and I go "oh my god" to myself , that is pretty cool
    That silvershadow is pretty darn awesome. Nice job.
    Wow, is all I can say.    B)
    Thank you Eric. It has a shower now :)
    nypete125 said:
    Our LG 2015 5 x 10 SS is currently trapped in a Shelter Logic building w/ 36" snow drifts surrounding it after this weeks super Nor'easter Stellar hit us earlier in the week.  We are interested in changing out the stock wheels with the baby moon hubcaps for a more modern looking wheel not needing the "Baby Moon" hubs.  Would prefer not to add any blocks to do this.  What size are the stock tires on the SS trailers ? If yours is close to a 2015 model from LG, please respond and let us know.  Many Thanks

My stock tires were 205/75r 14. I added blocking and moved the fenders up, so you could most likely put bigger tires on without block. You will have to move the fenders higher.
    this has to be one of my slowest projects ive ever done.  Rims and Tires acquired.  4.5 to 5 pattern and lug to hub centric adaptor/spacer arrived. removed fenders.   mocking up the set up.    fender is resting on tire with 2x4 block.  
    (and yes the jack is NOT on the axle but on the axle mounting bracket)  

rims are 2009 Jeep GC to match tow vechical  tires are 245/70r17  (30 inch)

• WilliamAWilliamA Posts: 224Member ✭✭✭
    I suspect that we, the mechanically inclined have all wrestled with the project that didn't seem to end!  For myself, it's usually some relatively straightforward thing that takes more time than it should.  When I put 15" tires on my LG5W it went pretty quickly but I sourced all of the components (axle spacer, wheels, tires, paint etc) in advance so when I finally pulled the trigger it went down in a weekend.  My son helped me a lot too which sped the whole thing up.  I'm curious about your wheel adapters and where you sourced them.  I really wanted to go with Jeep wheels to match my 2017 Cherokee but the wheel price was a little above my pay grade at the time.  The recent trip I took with the larger wheels and tires has shown that the money spent on this improvement is well worth it.  The first thing I noticed was that the trailer just rolls smoother.  It's evident in the lack of noise through the hitch.  It's also comical to see a Little guy with such large tires and wheels.  I'm running 235/75/15's and they look huge!  It's much higher and looks like a Hot Wheels trailer now!  lol.  I've had many comments about how tall it is for no larger than it is.  Your SS is bigger (mostly longer) so it won't look so out of proportion.  Overall though, it's a huge difference in general towing and should prove to be worth it down the road.  Keep plugging away.  You'll get there...

WilliamA

retrofit said:

this has to be one of my slowest projects ive ever done.  Rims and Tires acquired.  4.5 to 5 pattern and lug to hub centric adaptor/spacer arrived. removed fenders.   mocking up the set up.    fender is resting on tire with 2x4 block.  
    (and yes the jack is NOT on the axle but on the axle mounting bracket)  

rims are 2009 Jeep GC to match tow vechical  tires are 245/70r17  (30 inch)

It's going to look awesome when you are finished. I'm curious what adapters you used also.

WilliamA said:

I suspect that we, the mechanically inclined have all wrestled with the project that didn't seem to end!  For myself, it's usually some relatively straightforward thing that takes more time than it should.  When I put 15" tires on my LG5W it went pretty quickly but I sourced all of the components (axle spacer, wheels, tires, paint etc) in advance so when I finally pulled the trigger it went down in a weekend.  My son helped me a lot too which sped the whole thing up.  I'm curious about your wheel adapters and where you sourced them.  I really wanted to go with Jeep wheels to match my 2017 Cherokee but the wheel price was a little above my pay grade at the time.  The recent trip I took with the larger wheels and tires has shown that the money spent on this improvement is well worth it.  The first thing I noticed was that the trailer just rolls smoother.  It's evident in the lack of noise through the hitch.  It's also comical to see a Little guy with such large tires and wheels.  I'm running 235/75/15's and they look huge!  It's much higher and looks like a Hot Wheels trailer now!  lol.  I've had many comments about how tall it is for no larger than it is.  Your SS is bigger (mostly longer) so it won't look so out of proportion.  Overall though, it's a huge difference in general towing and should prove to be worth it down the road.  Keep plugging away.  You'll get there...

WilliamA

the stock jeep rims were (somewhat) easy to find.  just kept my eye on craigslist for some younger kid that needed to put aftermarket rims on his GC.  got all 4 for 80 bucks.   i got the rims 6 months prior to getting the TD as this was my intention all along regardless of what trailer i got.   tires came from BESTUSEDTIRE.COM with 80-90 percent tread for almost 50% off retail.  (only needed two)  Spacers/adapters were custom made by http://www.wheeladapter.com  you tell them what you need and they build them on site.  so, somewhat like you, i collected everything, now the process of installing it and learning what i didnt know.   was very surprised how easy the fenders came off.   

i agree to start with that the larger tires look a tad off. maybe thats just because ive gotten use to the small ones? but keeping the 50s styled bubble fenders seem to off set the larger tires AND im thinking that maybe as they match the jeep, it will blend a tad.    

what looks funnier in my mind is me dragging a teardrop down a dirt road with pizza cutter wheels with baby moon hubcaps.   

pizza cutters on a dirt road.

edited April 2017
    places that the trailer with the small tires became and anchor.  wish i had a photo of where i had to winch my trailer out.  

retrofit said:

places that the trailer with the small tires became and anchor.  wish i had a photo of where i had to winch my trailer out.  

I lifted mine after the first outing. I was getting stuck on every rock sticking out of the forest road I was on. I didn't think the bubble style fenders were going to look right, but after the tires went on the bubble fenders really set the TD off. I love them and I get a lot of compliments everywhere I go. Only real issue is the bottom of the door opening does hit me in the back of the legs just right to bruise them sometimes. :smile: