Is anyone camping these days?

WildcatWildcat Posts: 635Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in Travel/Trips & Pics
I went up the coast to Newport (Oregon) and tried South Beach Campground for the first time.  It was cold but not freezing.  I usually go to Beverly Beach, just six miles north of South Beach.  They are both big, 90 miles from home.  One has to walk farther to get to the ocean at South Beach.  Half the campground is closed in winter.  I wanted a tent site, but since those were closed, I got a tent site price by not plugging in.  This picture shows my son, supervising the use of the new stove for roasting marshmallows. 

As we ambled around the campground, I saw a sign that said if you see any bears, go back.  I don't know why that made me laugh.  At home, the average bear goes way out around me, and they especially do not like barking dogs.

No other Teardrops to be seen.

Comments

• ShearwaterShearwater Posts: 92Member ✭✭
    You're showing a different step stool in this photo.  Too cold for camping in Minnesota, 2 degrees this morning.
  • WildcatWildcat Posts: 635Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Yes, the new step stool is in the Xterra.  I used the tool box part of it for wood for the stove.  It's a good one to sit on, and it might be helpful for getting the spoiled child back into the back seat.  The stool on the ground is the right height for my boy to get into the trailer.  I would have liked warmer weather, and it did warm up some later.  We went over to the lighthouse, and such a cold wind blew so hard, the car was bouncing.  But I like to take the dog child so he is used to a bit of travel.  He does fine, ignores everyone and their dogs, but glad to get home because it's home and his older sister is there waiting.  

No matter how big the campgrounds are, they will be jammed in summer as soon as school lets out.  I like to make note of which spaces i like for future reference.
  • JeepCamperJeepCamper Posts: 57Member
    I am ready, just installed a new harness in my jeep so I can charge the battery while traveling.  We are headed to Cherokee NC mountains Easter weekend..  Counting the days down, the SS is ready to roll.
  • jo11ymonjo11ymon Posts: 71Member ✭✭
    Would like to, but kids still in school. We are having a "mild" winter in SoCal and wish we could enjoy it more. Hoping to get more time this year. Job and kids permitting.   Love the photo with the nice flame from the solo stove.

edited February 2018
    We are having a bit of a mild winter also, in Oregon, not enough rain, which means early fire danger if it doesn't rain more and snow. Anyway, I was glad for my 12 volt blanket. I attempt to get somewhere about ten months out of the year, but mostly close to home, quick trips.  The dogs rule, and the older one can't go, and the boy is always glad to return to see what she's up to.  The Solo Stove doesn't smoke much at all, so I love it.  I don't know how it would be for cooking other things, a person needs to keep feeding it if something needs to cook very long.  I might experiment with it at home.
    edited February 2018
    JeepCamper, yeah, having the trailer charging while going is sure convenient.  I don't often stay in one place very long and don't plug in much.  This time of year, using the 12 volt throw is rather nice and that uses up the battery.  I turned it on three times in the night, and it goes off in a half hour by itself.  Other than that, I only used the lights a short time.  I checked the battery in the morning, and it was at 11.8.  Oh and I charged the phone, but then on the road again.  I don't usually bother to check it.  When I was in one place five days and used the fan a bit, I plugged in.  
    edited January 30
    I did a short trip up the coast to try out some new stuff and walk some coast trails of which there are many. Was only 50 miles from home on Oregon coast.  Didn't see many people.  Signs said to watch for bear or cougar, but didn't see any, and my four legged child would have seen or smelled one before me.

It is certainly a good place for critters.  We did another trail to the beach and didn't have time for them all.  He doesn't allow much time for me to stop and rest.

Anyway, tried the Clam Traveler shelter with wind walls, Mr. Heater Buddy in the shelter, cast iron waffler, doughy twist stick with SoloStove, handheld GPS, 11 pound propane tank, dinky electric heater in trailer, new dog bed, all for the first time.  I got these things before my resolution to quit buying stuff.  There were no bugs, so didn't get to test the Thermacell.

The Clam is 6x6, but plenty big enough and easy to heat.  I thought it might be quicker to deal with than the awning with room, but not sure.  With the Clam behind the galley, dog child and I could watch stuff cooking.  Using it certainly adds to the time for packing up, as it used to take me about three minutes to be on the road.  It should work well in mosquito country.  Using it, one doesn't need the pop-up privy.  Only had one wall on here.

It's been pretty out, but cold.  He is yawning with boredom, doesn't like the ocean.
  • PkrmspecPkrmspec Posts: 115Member ✭✭
    I thinking about it counts? Five degrees here in sw Missouri 

edited January 31
    You know, I like snow, and so do the dogs, but I'll stick with the damp northwest.  Besides, I like green.  I can usually find decent enough weather most months if I stay ready to go on short notice.  We really need more rain. I don't plan on anything for December because of the holiday hoopla.  I think this is the first January I've camped, however.

I saw a [email protected], this trip but no for-real teardrops that don't have walk-in capabilities with toilets and heat.
  • NewGuyNewGuy Posts: 117Member ✭✭
    Wildcat......Is that a canopy on top of your Five Wide?
    NewGuy, it is an ARB awning.  I have a "room" that goes under it, but i thought the Clam shelter might be quicker to mess with for short stays.  I'm not sure which will be best for drying out and putting away.  I'm getting a rooftop basket to put up there, but it will need to be reworked, and we'll see how it goes.  It may not work at all.  But I could stuff some light weight items in it.  One has to have a hole for the roof vent.
    So you would replace the awning with basket? I installed a basket rack on tow vehicle which I really like.  Back of rack is reserved for solar panel and front fire wood.   I think the racks on your trailer look really good as the contrast stands out.  I have similar rack but mount to the side as opposed to the top of which is mounted a solar shower
    NewGuy, I'm going to leave the awning alone, as the basket I'm looking at would fit alongside it.  I'm thinking I'll get one of those waterproof bags to put up there, put my SoloStove and a bit of wood in it (it takes small stuff), and I'm not sure what else.  The Rough Rider is high enough that it will be hard to reach.  The Xterra is so high, I'd need a stepladder, so I'm not doing that for now.  I fear if I had solar up there, someone would steal it, but it won't fit on the trailer anyway.  In the Northwest, I need waterproof everything.  I could probably put some food items in there or dog belongings along with the stove.  I'll see how it goes.  I'm hoping piling stuff up there won't mess up my gas mileage.  I'll wait until I see how a basket might fit before I purchase any waterproof bags.  Rightline makes some narrow ones that could fit around the vent.  I probably wouldn't use a Roadshower, but have one of those rechargeable ones that you stick one end in a bucket of water.  One shouldn't overload the roof rack, so I'm keeping that in mind.  
    Wildcat ...Looks like you have things figured out and a place  for everything.  I am sure you will loose a few MPG but worth it.  For hauling dog food on long trips I have two 4 ' 60 inch  pvc with screw cap on either end.  They are located behind storage box on tongue of 5 wide.  Between that and what I can sash in TV german shepard can eat for a month
    edited February 1
    So far, I haven't done a long trip.  I figure to use (for dog food) a Vittles Vault, maybe a 35 pound size.  Since it will be, uhhh, 35 pounds at least, it will have to be in the car.  He eats mostly Science Diet that I have to get at the veterinary.  Seems I need room for more dog stuff than my own. Hard telling about the mileage, so far, no difference.  I don't want to unload everything to find stuff.  I've got some plastic drawers in the back, which always came open, so I got some metal things at the hardware store to swing down to keep drawers shut for travel--they already had holes in them.  The thing that is a space hog is the Luggable Loo and the propane heater.  A thing I could do without is a one burner stove to use outside the galley or a combo stove/grill for messy cooking.

https://amazon.com/Vittles-Outback-Airtight-Storage-Container/dp/B002Q7SZ2A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1549004019&sr=8-4&keywords=Vittles+vault
    edited February 6
    @NewGuy    This is a crummy picture, but the basket actually looks good.  It is heavier than I wanted, but it is strong even though the hole is cut in it for the vent to come up.  I have it over to the right as far as it can go, and there is some wasted space.  I will only have light weight stuff up there.  I'm looking at maybe two waterproof bags up there to put stuff in and I have a cargo net for it.  The bags have good and bad reviews, but so does everything.  I have to find some little plugs to put in the tubing ends that got cut off.  

Wildcat...  Very nice I do  like the depth of the basket and especially the deflector. I do need a deflector on my Surco basket.  Must be snow "West side of Oregon" as I see on the roof of shelter.  I used Ikea water proof bags last summer to keep fire wood dry, by the time I reached North Carolina the sun and wind destroyed them.  Did the deflector come with the basket?
    NewGuy, the deflector did come with the basket. I don't know if it will last, it's plastic.  The basket could be bigger, but it is heavy enough as it is, and hard to reach out over it, or impossible.  The Rough Rider is higher than average.  I'm thinking I better take something to reach anything up there if it moves around, like a gaff hook or something.  Not much snow yet, but the weather guessers say this weekend we'll have some.  In Oregon, I need waterproof bags for anything on the rack any time of year.  I'd rather not go camping in cold weather, but there are usually some decent days on the coast if a person is ready to go on short notice.
  • FrankHenryFrankHenry Posts: 4Member
    We will be around this place after a while. But thanks for the beautiful pictures. They are lovely.

Thanks FrankHenry.  With the mobs at the coast, I don't go there much in summer.  I've been getting around some lately.  I wish more parks allowed dogs on trails. 

Did a trip on the back roads a couple months ago, between home and the coast and finished a walk we started in January. 

Then, dog child and I zipped up to Crater Lake and drove all the way around, the tourists were behind every tree.  I didn't care for the Mazama campground and stayed below, outside the park.  Then walked over to the logging museum and gift shop, which was only a half-mile from the campground, over the river and under the highway.  The Mazama campground was taken over by private management, and what a disaster so far.

Just got back from Mount Rainier, also  overcrowded.  You can scarcely find places to park without a trailer, much less when pulling one. The mountain is impressive from any side. Most spaces were made for smaller rigs at Cougar Rock campground,  which is inside the park on the Nisqually side, close together spaces, and one had better have reservations anyplace in the northwest. I went out the Enumclaw side and got a much better camp space with nice view of the White River--spaces are big and far apart.

Unfortunately, the 700 year-old Douglas fir went down in a storm.  That was sad.  Dog child not impressed.

All were nice drives; I just have too many places to go back to when schools are in session.  In the future, however, I will take all back roads.  What should take two hours on the freeway to go home, took six hours just to get to Portland, the rest areas in Oregon were a cesspool.  We spent half the night at the big, south of Portland rest stop, then made for home before people woke up.

• TomDTomD Posts: 82Moderator mod
    Just got back from a long journey through Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Nevada. ALL State Parks and National Parks are full up with outdoor enthusiast. Way too crowded everywhere. I had reservations for all locations. I can’t live with the uncertainty of first come first served sites. By. The way, how far did your dog child drag that downed tree =)
    I know, it's horrible without reservations.  I guess I'm going to have to go back to staying home July-August.  I was early to find a spot at Mount Rainier, they said they had openings.  Well, the spaces open were big enough for a VW Bug.  The ranger lady felt sorry for me maybe and found me a good space.  So, they had spaces for one night only and had them marked as reserved.  Typical federal govt.  I'm off the beaten path, but I am a host for Boondockers Welcome, and my few guests couldn't find anything at the coast.  My other site where I had the view, I did not like my reserved site, so the one I got, again, was open for one night.  So, they do have spaces.  Maybe they are just lazy and don't want to fit people in.  

TomD, my dog child, George, just lifted his leg on the tree, so he figured that's all it was good for.
    edited August 22
    Wildcat...just playing off the picture with dogchild hooked to the downed tree. It looks like he’s attached and just finished pulling it. Sometimes I have different visuals on posted pictures and add a little humor. I find humor good!
    TomD, yes, i got it.  And the tree did have a couple chokers attached.  I hope they leave it there.  One thing i liked about that campground was that they left the fallen trees alone.  It gave a more natural look plus a bit more privacy, and many trees were down but still a nice, shady place.  I like forest service campgrounds better than state, plus they are cheaper, and more so with the old person pass.  This one had no showers or flush toilets, but the vault toilets were so clean, one hardly cares.  On the Oregon coast, they close most of the forest service campgrounds in winter, which is unfortunate.
    Some photos of Camping in Oregon and Montana recently.....

Nice spots and comfy setup.  The twisted tree is different, whatever it is.  Never could figure why they made the license plate so low on the SS.
    Just got back from Silver Lake in the Sierras. A couple of photos.
    Neat places and pictures.  I've never been there.  But I won $250 in gas cards the other day with a picture, so I'm trying to figure out where to use those.  We've had some rain for a couple days, so not in a hurry.
    The Sierra’s just got it’s first dusting of snow the day after we left. Early winter?
    Maybe early winter alright.  Not used to so much rain here so early.  Might have to do short coast trips between storms and take the Clam shelter.  I haven't checked on weather in the Cascades.  Coast would be warmer.