Propane line from tongue box to rear of 2015 SS 5 X 10

I carry a 20# propane tank in a tongue box and wish to run a reduced pressure flexible line via conduit beneath the trailer to the back near the galley.  I was told that a high pressure line of that length (14') was a bad idea because of liquification of propane and line obstruction which is what happened with my first attempt.  Last year on a 3 month road trip I lifted the tank out and carried it to the back of the trailer near the galley and that worked fine, but got very old--especially after I severely strained my back. 
My plan is to put a primary pressure reducing regulator at the tank.  
My question is what is the minimum incoming pressure for the existing regulator to function properly for the 2 burner counter top stove?
That seems to be the primary concern of the propane professional who is now on task for this project.
Thanks.

Comments

• MrbillMrbill Posts: 534Member ✭✭✭

What you are describing is how [email protected]'s are piped. When I changed out the plastic tub for a larger toolbox I thought about removing the pressure regulator mounted on the front and relying on the stoves pressure regulator. Talking to a propane expert, I learned your lesson before it happened and I left the unit on.

They are using this:

https://www.fairviewfittings.com/products/gas-control-components/gas-regulators/lpgas-regulators--recreation-vehicle/two-stage-automatic-changeover-41110.html

Spec sheet:

https://www.fairviewfittings.com/UserFiles/DocFiles/TDS%20%28GR-9984%29.pdf

It is RVIA approved and made for RVs but it states it needs to be adjusted by the installer so not sure if this would need to be checked by an expert before using, be safe.

• Mgreen2Mgreen2 Posts: 17Member
    i left the regulator on the original line but added a splitter and extension hose. My campchef stove that i wanted to use had a regulator on it so didn’t want to risk changing the amount of gas that was getting to the burners. 

https://www.amazon.com/Barbour-International-Classic-Y-Splitter-7633/dp/B003JCL816

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-3-8-in-0-3125-in-x-120-in-Male-Female-Propane-Hose/50330311
  • vtteardroptravelersvtteardroptravelers Posts: 4Member

Thank you for your comments to my original post.

My dilemma is that I wish to connect two propane appliances using a “T Splitter” at the rear of the trailer. I am trying to select a regulator for the tank end with an outlet pressure low enough to prevent the propane from liquefying in the line and causing an obstruction.

1.     One appliance is the stock countertop stove for my SS 5X10  with its own regulator.  The specification sheet for that regulator suggests that it will accept inlet pressures between 25 and 100 psig and deliver at outlet pressure (to stove) of ~13 psig.  IS THAT CORRECT?  AM I READING THE SPEC SHEET CORRECTLY?

2.     The second appliance is a free standing 54,000 BTU “King Kooker” with its own “Adjustable High Pressure Regulator" which delivers 10 PSI at the outlet. I have been unable to get a response regarding minimum inlet pressure for that regulator to function. I realize inlet pressure is a function of ambient temperature and propane depletion in the tank.

The hose from tank on the tongue to the rear of the teardrop must be at least 14 feet.  The maximum length “stock” hoses with appropriate connectors factory installed is 12 feet—doesn’t reach.  I will have a propane professional make up the hose I use with both ends in place.

• MrbillMrbill Posts: 534Member ✭✭✭

Well, PSIG is the term for pressure specified by a gauge so 13psi to the stove and 10psi to kooker looks normal to me. My stove is different and has all European style ratings which do not translate without a calculator. Seriously, how to convert "14 inch water column pressure to psi"? You are correct in trying to get that psi number for the input to the kooker regulator, I'd check their we site for an install guide. I would suspect that "25 to 100 psig" would also be close to the range for the kooker input.

If both units run on a 20# tank, I'd think there isn't an issue. I split my 20# tank with a 'Y' at the front, one line to the stove in the rear (thru the front regulator to the rear regulator on the stove) and the other to my generator in the front which has it's own high pressure regulator.

Please publish your results. I still have a plan to add an on-demand hot water tank at the rear end by the stove and your results may help me.