MyPod lift kit and larger wheels and tires

ChrisATXChrisATX Posts: 4Member
I recently purchased a 2015 MyPod and wanted to give it a little bit of a lift and some additional clearance for light trail activity.   I've ordered the 2 5/8" lift for the #9 Torflex axle, and I am researching wheels and tires.   It looks like most trailer wheels are 0 offset, and the smallest off-road tire available seems to be a 215/75/15.     

I am wondering if anyone here has done a lift to a Mypod and what you learned as you did it?      

I've looked up the axle and its a 2200lbs axle with a 22.5deg down angle.    I know that you can get a 45deg down angle axle, but don't want to replace the axle if I'm able to avoid it. 

The stock wheels and tires are 175/80/13 which works out to a 24" tall 6.9" wide tire.    A 215/75/15 tire is 27.7" and 8.6" wide.    I don't think that height is going to give me any problems since from the hub to top of the tire will only increase ~1.9" and I am adding ~ 2.6" with the lift.    My big concern is going from a 7" wide tire to a 8.6" wide tire and if I am going to get any rubbing with the molded fiberglass fender....

Looking at the current setup there is about 1" clearance from the 13" tire to the fender well.  

I am hoping someone has already walked down this road and I can learn from your experience.   

Thanks, 
Chris

Comments

• WildcatWildcat Posts: 635Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 27
    I don't know if you'll get an answer and I don't see it on search, but if you go to Facebook to the Mypod Adventures group, join the group perhaps, do a search there for lift kit, and a guy did the Dexter lift kit.  He might know something, shows a picture of it. Don't know if that will help.
  • ChrisATXChrisATX Posts: 4Member
    Wildcat said:
    I don't know if you'll get an answer and I don't see it on search, but if you go to Facebook to the Mypod Adventures group, join the group perhaps, do a search there for lift kit, and a guy did the Dexter lift kit.  He might know something, shows a picture of it. Don't know if that will help.
    Thanks Wildcat,  I am on that FB group and asked the guy who did it, but I think he moved on from the MyPod to a different trailer.   I will reach out to him again...

edited August 27
    Oh bummer.  Yeah, I clicked on a link he had there and nothing came up.  I know many people want or need a bit higher.  Maybe you could search on the Five Wide Lifts and find something usable.  Or Silver Shadows.  Some people also lifted their [email protected], and they aren't much bigger.  I had a Five Wide, and it made me nervous in some places, and i ended up selling and getting about the same in a Rough Rider which is lifted plus 15 inch wheels.  I like it.  I now need a short step stool to sit in the doorway, but the dog uses it to get in also.
  • ChrisATXChrisATX Posts: 4Member
    Just wanted to post a little update on my progress and record what I learned for posterity.   

- I added the Dexter Lift for the #9 axle which was a 2 5/8" lift.   This was pretty easy, maybe an hour or two depending on your ability.
    - I ordered the same wheels ( they are pretty close to my trucks style) in 15 x 6 zero offset.
    -  I wanted BFG 215/75/15, but didn't want to risk them not fitting.  Ran by Discount tire and they offered to put on a different 215 to see if it was close.   The 215's were too tall/wide for the fender so I got a Yokohama 205/70/15 in an all - terrain that should be fine for my purposes.  (mall parking lots, music festivals and easy trails).  
    - I think it would be pretty easy to put bigger tires than 205's if you were willing to get a new axle with a 45* starting down angle as that would add an additional 2-2.5" if I'm reading the dexter site correctly.    I couldn't justify it right now.   

I am pretty happy with the outcome, just need to get a generator rack fabbed up and I will be all set.