Any suggestions, photos or opinions on 270° batwing awnings for a [email protected] Outback or any teardrop?

The 270° awning looks like the best thing since sliced bread for a tear drop but I've only seen one application here on the forum from my brief search. I was wondering why they are not more popular? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

Comments

• HellFishHellFish Posts: 261Member ✭✭✭
    Just returned from Chaco Canyon where another teardropper had one.  They said they loved it and it was easy to deploy.  Think they said it was pricy.  It looked good, especially in providing shade, and it covered their kitchen as well as the side area.  Wonder how it would handle rain (would it shed the water or let it collect in placed on top of wing?) and wind (could you leave it up while you went hiking and such?).
  • Texas_DaveTexas_Dave Posts: 46Member
    I would think staking any awning with that much wind catching "sail" would be wise. As far as rain, it seems the oztent foxwing has a collection spout that controls the runoff. I've been looking at the Foxwing, Eezi Awn and the Alu Cab 270 shadow. I'm not sure if there are any other brands out there. They are pricy but they sure seem to be perfect for teardrops. 
  • d0bhrand0bhran Posts: 42Member
    I don't have the foxwing, but I do have the 2.5 meter Sunseeker awning made by the same company. They have exceptional build quality. I haven't had to call them, but I understand that their customer service is also quite fantastic. I used mine in Colorado during an overnight rainstorm turned snow dusting and it held up fantastic.  They are very easy to put out and pack away for a solo person.  Part of the reason that you don't see more of them is the back door for the galley on most of our trailers raises up too far and interferes with where the foxwing would cover the back.  That is the case with my Rough Rider.
    I see.  We're waiting on our 2018 Outback XL with the factory bars. I would have to think I could mount it high enough to get above the back hatch considering how high the factor cargo bars are on the roof. 

I'm wondering now, which side I should order? Driver's side or passenger side?
    I would base which side you purchase on how often you plan on being in any paved parking campground setting (like our state parks).  I would mount on the passenger side, as that would be the side facing into your "camping area" once you are backed in and set up.  No point in putting the awning out over the power pedestal.
    If you boondock all the time, then that reason is moot and mounting on either side would probably work equally well.  I do find myself gravitating to the passenger side of my trailer more often, but not for any valid reason (just habit I guess).

I was looking at a video earlier that mentioned that Alu Cab awning and all I can say is that there is A LOT to be said for one built strong enough to not need the legs.  The setup/take down time saved would be pretty nice, especially if you are setting the awning up solo.  I can't imagine the extra weight of it vs. the Foxwing would be a problem for the trailer once mounted.  
  • timlaw71timlaw71 Posts: 81Member ✭✭
    I love mine on my shadow. I'm getting a [email protected] outback tomorrow so I will post pics once I get it installed on the [email protected]
    Please do Tim!
  • timlaw71timlaw71 Posts: 81Member ✭✭
    Please do Tim!
    I just ordered a second one so I will have full coverage. I will keep you posted.
    timlaw71 said:
    I just ordered a second one so I will have full coverage. I will keep you posted.
    Definitely want to see pictures of that when you get it installed.  Out of curiosity, which awning did you get?
    I added a little lift to my foxwing awning this weekend. Whittled a couple slabs of aluminum to give me an added lift up and over my rear galley door. Plus I think it's sturdier with the aluminum providing a base to the abs plastic of the foxwing's mounting hardware and also with the addition of grade 8 bolts and a lock nut. My front space is a 1/4" shorter than the rear spacer which equates to an additional 1/4" lift in the back and now with no rubbing on the door. I have a handle that touches the awning material but I don't think it will be a problem. My concern was windy conditions and the continual rubbing on the material and wearing a hole in the awning. I think I'm good to go now. My rear bar on my awning now clears the back door by a couple of inches. Plus I have my awning set inside of the yakima bar mounts which I hope will keep rain from coming in on us and now I can zip the zip all the way down without a couple of tight spots where the yakima bar extends. Field test to come!

• Slip7Slip7 Posts: 6Member
    Hey @timlaw71 and @Texas_Dave, would you guys happen to have any pics or updates? I pick up my outback XL in oct and was trying to figure out how the foxwing would clear the gallery. 
    Here's our only photo since the next day a high wind destroyed it. :(

• WildcatWildcat Posts: 646Member ✭✭✭
    Horrors, the wind.  I've  been afraid to put out the awning in wind.  On the last five day trip, it only stopped blowing at night and early morning.  I had considered a foxwing...  but the Rough Rider is high up as mentioned above.  Maybe I will just live with a bit of rain sometimes.  My awning is high enough that I need a stool to get it in and out, and is probably all I can handle.