Using a standard 110v plug rather than a 30amp one?

JDTJDT Posts: 3Member
Any issues or considerations to plugging into a standard 110v plug rather than a 30amp one?
On my RV I could set the power max, but I do not see anything like that for the Little Max. Any advice to ensure I don't trip breakers?

Comments

• spongebuespongebue Posts: 73Member
    Are you planning on living in it (or having someone else live in it) or just keep it charged and occasionally have something plugged in?  All a circuit breaker really cares about is the amount of current that goes through.  If you're just keeping the battery charged, you're not looking at very much draw and shouldn't worry too much.  If someone is living in it, it kind of depends.  An air conditioner coupled with a microwave or hair dryer could be bad news, but 
  • JDTJDT Posts: 3Member
    Thanks all. Hope hope this would be a rare case. I do have 2 Honda EU 2000 generators that together create a 30amp power outlet. Sometimes it would be nice to only use one  (standard 110v), knowing that I have to limit simultaneous power usage. 
  • stargazer7467stargazer7467 Posts: 269Member ✭✭✭
    Yes any 2000 watt inverter gen can handle what we'r equipped with.
  • PolecatPolecat Posts: 2Member
    JDT said:
    Any issues or considerations to plugging into a standard 110v plug rather than a 30amp one?
    On my RV I could set the power max, but I do not see anything like that for the Little Max. Any advice to ensure I don't trip breakers?
    The issue you have when plugging into a standard 110 V residential power outlet is that you are limited to probably 15-20 amps (depending on the wire size/circuit breaker size in your home) via the outlet circuit breaker.  

Since the trailer's 30 A power cord is rated for 30 amps, this will provide you with a full "30 amps of power" when you are plugged into a campground pedestal.  This allows you full use of the trailers electrical circuits (and 30 amps of power) and things like air conditioning, TV/DVD, using an electric space heater, etc. inside the trailer.  

Otherwise when plugged into a 15-20 amp circuit and using a plug adapter on the male end of the trailer's 30 amp power cord, this limits power availability and risks heating up lets say your residential circuit in your garage and potentially tripping the circuit breaker if you overload the circuit wiring.  
  • JimeJime Posts: 23Member
    Hi! Not A Electrical wiz by any means, how is it one can neck down from 50amp to 30amp just by using a dog bone? I see they have those, and was just wondering, how it, the dog bone knows what to do with that 50amps of power, to convert it to 30amps at the other end. Probably a dumb question, but just ???? wondering.    Jime
  • spongebuespongebue Posts: 73Member
    Easy (but understandable) question.  Voltage is forced, but current (amperage) is drawn by whatever uses electricity.  When going from a 50 amp outlet to a 30, assuming no voltage difference, all those adapters have to do is change the shape of the plug, and whatever amount is drawn gets used.  It's similar to how your typical outlets at home can take up to 15 amps (or rather, a combination of whatever outlets are on that breaker) but you can plug in an LED bulb that only uses about a tenth of an amp, no problem.  The rest of the capacity of the circuit goes unused.  Not converted, just unused.
  • JimeJime Posts: 23Member
    Thank you, that clears that up, for a non "sparky". Makes a lot of sense. Was a lot in the dark on that one.   Jime  
  • nmmikenmmike Posts: 29Member
    I guess the only times you get in trouble are when you are plugged into a 20 or 30 amp circuit using the adapter and you start drawing far in excess of the circuits amperage, e.g. 40 or 50 amps?  that's when your breaker starts tripping?           MIke s

• WilliamAWilliamA Posts: 224Member ✭✭✭
    There are a lot of threads here that discuss the issue of amperage.  You might also look on NuCamp's "[email protected]" website as the trailers are nearly identical, so far as hookups are concerned.  I have had both campers (currently have a [email protected]) and almost never use the 30 amp cord.  I use a good quality 110v extension cord (12 gauge wire) and an adapter.  You can see the adapter I use in this thread: http://teardrop-trailers.vanillacommunity.com/discussion/comment/396#Comment_396
    WilliamA 
  • nmmikenmmike Posts: 29Member
    WilliamA
    I bought the adapter with the cord but I like ur setup better.  If I ever do plan to stay in a RV park I will bring a good quality extension cord.
    Thanks!
    Mike S