Mini Max brakes?

Does the Mini Max have brakes or need a brake controller?  I'm new to trailers (had an RV, got tired of 8 miles per gallon) and my dealer isn't much help.  I'll be towing with a 2012 Highlander Hybrid that's rated for 3500 GVWR and will be doing some mountain driving.
Thanks from a newbie,
Bruce

Best Answer

Answers

• danofdotdanofdot Posts: 10Member
    Hi merrelbruce - My wife and I just bought a MiniMax which we are picking up this Spring :)
    It comes standard with a rubber torsion axle and electric brakes. We are going to be towing with a Tacoma SR5; for which I am currently installing a Tekonsha P3 brake controller. I'd say it's a good idea to have the brake controller - particularly if you are doing some mountain driving. You might also want to look into a weight distribution/anti-sway hitch as well.
    Good luck in your search!
    Dan
  • merrellbrucemerrellbruce Posts: 3Member
    Good info, thanks Dan.  I'm checking with another dealer, here's what he says:

"The Mini Max comes standard with electric brakes. A hard wired or RF brake controller will work for the trailer.  I recommend a Prodigy RF brake controller, especially for your hybrid.  The RF's work much better with newer vehicles.  A 4 pin plug will not operate a brake controller.  You need a round 7 pin plug for that. We can upgrade your wiring and install a Prodigy RF brake controller for $420."

Seem reasonable?

And how important is weight distribution/anti-sway for this relatively small trailer?  There's an Equal-i-zer one on etrailer.com that's rated about right--up to 400 lbs tongue weight, 4000 lbs GTW--but it adds another $500 plus to my outlay.

Any advice is appreciated!
    Bruce

• merrellbrucemerrellbruce Posts: 3Member
    Dan,
    Thanks for all that.  I just pulled the trigger: put money down on a Mini Max with the Rough Rider package, solar panel, Prodigy RF brake controller and Curt sway controller.  I'm holding off on weight distribution for now.  We'll pick it up at the end of March.  Time to start planning a trip!
    Bruce
  • danofdotdanofdot Posts: 10Member
    Congratulations Bruce! Happy Trails!
    Dan