How do I change my User Name?

PaddlerPaddler Posts: 7Member
As a newbie, I joined this forum yesterday. Now I think it wiser to use a nick-name in open discussion, rather than my proper name. I can see how to change my password, but not user name. Also I 'posted' a question yesterday, or so I thought... but it does not appear in the forum tonight.

Best Answer

Answers

• WildcatWildcat Posts: 646Member ✭✭✭
    It used to be that a moderator had to do that.  I expect one of them will get in touch with you soon.
  • TomDTomD Posts: 88Moderator mod
    I believe an “Administrator” is the only entity that can alter a user name. I’m a moderator and I can’t find a function where I can accomplish this. Admin have any input on this?
    edited February 2019
    Oh, ok, administrator.  I would have changed mine way back, but got the drift it was not easy.  I thought of dropping out and starting over, but couldn't do that either because someone would have said you couldn't have two names.  Then someone changed my profile picture to a silly looking house cat without consulting me, probably didn't know what a bobcat was, and I just gave up on a name change and didn't post for a long time.  But we have different people now, so expect it's a more friendly process.
  • PaddlerPaddler Posts: 7Member
    Administrator... if you are listening, please wade in! Sounds like this may be a more common problem. Tdebakker1 thanks for your input. Wildcat (kitten), I also tried to start over, but was rejected because I tried to use the same email. This is the first-ever 'forum' that I have joined, and I am not tech savvy guy on the best of days, but this really does seem like one of those things that 'should' be easy to do. Houston, we...
    And Wildcat, frankly I thought it was your own sense of humour that inserted the kitten photo, so maybe there is some comfort in being thought of in that way.
    edited February 2019
    Magwood, I wasn't amused at the change in my photos. No, it was a situation of someone not being nice. A number of people left the forum because of her meanness.  Reminded me of a school teacher that no one liked.  Then we got nice people later.  Photographing wildlife is my thing when I can, so a house cat wouldn't fit at all.  That bobcat is a little fellow I photographed very close to my house, and I even gave him a name.
    Wow, sorry to hear that. Another form of 'virtual' bullying. As a very-low-tech guy, I really am amazed, in this high-tech world, how these forum Name and Photo 'handles' are so difficult to change.  Hopefully an 'Administrator' will show up soon to help out.
  • GroveratcGroveratc Posts: 502Administrator, Moderator admin
    I forwarded your request on. Standby, I’ll try and get an answer for you. 
  • jonjon Posts: 75Member, Administrator admin
    Magwood said:
    As a newbie, I joined this forum yesterday. Now I think it wiser to use a nick-name in open discussion, rather than my proper name. I can see how to change my password, but not user name. Also I 'posted' a question yesterday, or so I thought... but it does not appear in the forum tonight.

Private message sent.
    Wildcat said:
    Magwood, I wasn't amused at the change in my photos. No, it was a situation of someone not being nice. A number of people left the forum because of her meanness.  Reminded me of a school teacher that no one liked.  Then we got nice people later.  Photographing wildlife is my thing when I can, so a house cat wouldn't fit at all.  That bobcat is a little fellow I photographed very close to my house, and I even gave him a name.

I have no idea why that would happen, but I assure you none of the new crop of mods/admins had anything to do with it. We honestly don't have the time to be that petty.

If you click on your username to get to your profile page, do you see a "change picture" link when you hover over your current picture?

Jon, I know, it was years ago, and I put my picture back a couple years ago.  Thanks.
    Wildcat said:
    Jon, I know, it was years ago, and I put my picture back a couple years ago.  Thanks.

Alright, cool. Well, for anyone else who was wondering how to do that...
    Jon, thank you very much for the link to change my User Name. And for the photo-change technique, if I ever do post one and want to change it. I will be changing my user name to Paddler ... at least one annual canoe trip over the last 55 years. Now with time to do it all over the place.
  • TomDTomD Posts: 88Moderator mod
    Jon...could you send me the link as well. Thanks
    The link is for support to any general issue regarding the forum. This goes directly to me.

https://golittleguy.com/community-support/
    Paddler said:
    Jon, thank you very much for the link to change my User Name. And for the photo-change technique, if I ever do post one and want to change it. I will be changing my user name to Paddler ... at least one annual canoe trip over the last 55 years. Now with time to do it all over the place.

You're all set.
    Aha, I see that you've made my name-change retroactive. Thank you.